The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dublo

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Dublo » Thu May 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Hmm I havent heard the name Gloy for a long time.
Hopefully the paint dries out OK.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 14, 2020 7:41 pm

I can remember a big bottle of "Gloy" glue, with a realy disgusting brush in it and a big thick rim of the stuff around the neck. At a guess it would have been around 1950-51. It must have been the schools official bottle as whenever it was needed one of us would be dispatched to to ask whoever had it could we have it please. It was a horrible honey colour and dried to an even more disgusting colour.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon May 25, 2020 9:08 pm

The ancient paint on the suspension bridge has finally dried after a week. The extension team have now been able to concentrate on installing the Ore unloading facility. Due to the nature of the ground, the civil engineers were struggling to find a way of supporting the facility on its piers and eventually decided to make a smaller excavation and install some form of underground storage and retrieval mechanism instead. At the moment the ore just falls into a hole and tumbles to the centre of the earth, which is not very efficient! The track gang had fabricated a section of track leading up the the bridge, but it seems that there has been some sort of mix up and the track does not align. A new section of track will therefore have to be cut to fill the gap.

Ore.jpg

Meanwhile the procurement team have also failed to order the parts for a level crossing in time which is also holding up progress. :o
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:28 pm

The Extension Team have been repairing damaged equipment to reduce the cost of the extension.

The end of a tie-bar on one of the new Hornby points appeared to have snapped off. It was unclear whether this happened before or after delivery and so a repair was attempted. A blob of JB Weld epoxy was stuck onto the end of the tie bar and once it had dried, it was filed to shape. The result is not as fine as the original, but it appears to be robust enough for manual operation.

Tiebar.JPG

JB Weld and probably many other epoxies bonds very well to polystyrene and other railway plastics and it has been used to repair many damaged or missing parts on the line. One of the platform sections for the new terminus had a damaged fixing clip and this was repaired in the same way. The clip has since been filed to shape and works well.

Platform.JPG

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:25 pm

GeraldH wrote: The track gang had fabricated a section of track leading up the the bridge, but it seems that there has been some sort of mix up and the track does not align. A new section of track will therefore have to be cut to fill the gap.

Meanwhile the procurement team have also failed to order the parts for a level crossing in time which is also holding up progress. :o

Will heads roll?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 pm

glencairn wrote:
GeraldH wrote: The track gang had fabricated a section of track leading up the the bridge, but it seems that there has been some sort of mix up and the track does not align. A new section of track will therefore have to be cut to fill the gap.

Will heads roll?

Glencairn

I think there must be a stout gentleman in a top hat just off-camera shouting at the workers about "confusion and delay."
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:47 pm

The Project Manager has finally got on top of things after the Emperor of Ballybongle stepped in :) . The newly painted suspension bridge looks quite smart, although one wonders how it stays up without the cables in place ;) .

PewsleyApproach.JPG

The equipment for the level crossing has arrived and the Ore Unloading Bridge has now been connected.

Pewsley.JPG

A Mark 2D coach has been used for gauging purposes, being the longest coach used on the occasional excursions from England. Some electrical work is required at access the engine shed at the top of the picture. Services to Pewsley are finally in sight :) .

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Nothing like a rollicking from the hierarchy to move things along. :)

Looking good, GeraldH.

Glencairn

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 am

The track has now been fixed in place and work has commenced on the operational structures. An engine shed was rescued after a previous earthquake many years ago. It was, however, assembled in a rather slapdash fashion and had also received some heat damage to the entrance. The doors were also a bit worse for wear. Fortunately there were some spare parts in the storage facility, although a spare door seems to have been attacked by some kind of chemical process creating a hole in the middle!

ES+Linka.JPG

The hole in the door was filled with JB Weld and then scribed and a new front was also grafted onto the engine shed. The painters in the old days of the BNR were not renowned for their finesse and some touching up is required before the building is ready for use.

The civil engineers have been busy casting with Linka, ready to construct the new coaling stage and the first batch has arrived at Pewsley. It's taken a while for the engineers to get the hang of casting again and it may be that a recent delivery of casting powder is part of the problem.

Meanwhile the track gang have discovered that they have laid the track too close to the platform, they are hoping to slew it into the correct position when the management aren't looking :) .

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Looks like construction is proceeding well! As there is a small loco shed on site, it makes sense for there to be coal and water facilities.

The consultancy in Coventry, England recommends construction a small wooden platform between the ore siding and the adjacent track. Coal can then be unloaded onto it from a loco coal wagon at the end of the ore siding, and from there shovelled into loco bunkers as required. A water crane should be somewhere nearby as well, to allow efficient refuelling of locos during the runround move. The other option is adjacent to the engine shed, but this would block the running line whilr coal is delivered.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:42 pm

pete12345 wrote:Looks like construction is proceeding well! As there is a small loco shed on site, it makes sense for there to be coal and water facilities.

The consultancy in Coventry, England recommends construction a small wooden platform between the ore siding and the adjacent track. Coal can then be unloaded onto it from a loco coal wagon at the end of the ore siding, and from there shovelled into loco bunkers as required. A water crane should be somewhere nearby as well, to allow efficient refuelling of locos during the runround move. The other option is adjacent to the engine shed, but this would block the running line whilr coal is delivered.

Some excellent consultancy advice there. It seems that the BNR''s extension team have been reaching similar conclusions :) .

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm

A recent test run of the ore train did not go according to plan, leading to what the Ballybongle Times has termed,"The Great Globble Island Ore Disaster". The media do have a penchant for exaggeration even in Ballybongle :) . Civil engineers failed to realise that the platforms at Globble Island did not have sufficient clearance for the operating levers of the ore wagons, resulting in the hopper doors opening while passing through the station. The result was inevitable and led to a major incident. Fortunately the ore wagons were empty at the time. As a result Globble Island had to be closed for several days while the platform was modified to ensure that there was sufficient clearance.

OreDisaster.JPG

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:19 am

Newspapers always have to exaggerate things. :)

A bit of a nuisance when everything it tickety boo, then the unexpected happens. :shock: :o

Been there etc. (and probably will again.)

Glencairn

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 pm

GeraldH wrote:Some excellent consultancy advice there. It seems that the BNR''s extension team have been reaching similar conclusions :) .

The invoice for the fees will be in the post on completion. If we can find someone who will deliver to Ballybongle anyway :D

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm

pete12345 wrote:
GeraldH wrote:Some excellent consultancy advice there. It seems that the BNR''s extension team have been reaching similar conclusions :) .

The invoice for the fees will be in the post on completion. If we can find someone who will deliver to Ballybongle anyway :D

Good point, the postal service can be somewhat erratic :) .

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”