The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Thank you Mountain.

There has been a recent discussion in the "other place" about brake coaches to match the Hornby 4 wheelers. The BNR workshops have had a couple of goes at this and No 1 can be seen hauling the brake alongside one of the regular 4 wheelers. It has Ratio sides grafted into a Hornby body, unfortunately the grafting in is rather obvious close up. It really is time Hornby produced one themselves :) .

4WheelTrain.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 17, 2019 9:03 am

Wow captain BNR. That looks great! Yes, I agree. If Hornby made a brake version they would sell loads of them. Such a needed product, as we all love those 4 wheel coaches even if we don't have one. (I have one left in Caldonian blue. Anyone interested in it? The loco in the same colour I have will be used as a donor loco for a future 7mm narrow gauge project. Ooh. I also have a yellow track cleaning coach with very low useage in its box somewhere...)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri May 31, 2019 9:56 am

The workshops have made some further progress on the 43XX. First the remains of the old gear spindle were removed and a hole drilled through the chassis where the previous spindle was.

DrillSpindle.JPG

Some 2mm stainless steel rod was then inserted into the hole to provide a new spindle for the gear. The chassis was reassembled for a test run, but the wheels kept locking up. It was initially thought that the wheels had gone out of quarter, but they looked OK. On closer examination it turned out that one side of the chassis had expanded slightly due to mazak rot.

NewSpindle.JPG

Another railway kindly sent a spare chassis block to the BNR workshops, but the shipping company somehow managed to snap the ends off the chassis blocks during transit! In desperation BNR staff superglued one of the chassis blocks back together and reinforced it with JB Weld. The chassis was reassembled and the loco remarkably runs! Having said that, it is not the smoothest of runners and may be suffering from overheating. The loco department have consequently decided to put the 43XX on light duties and will in the longer term look into adapting an alternative chassis.

43XX.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 31, 2019 10:30 pm

Wow. Your workshops certainly try out ideas for repairs. :)

Something I am thinking of... Is it a possile that all mazak will rot eventually given enough time? Mind you, plastic does break down so the likelihood ones loco bodies will still be in one piece by then....

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:44 pm

It's the presence of lead in the mix eventually causes the rot. Early Dinky toys were the first to show it, samples of which that avoided the lead are still as strong as when they were produced pre WW2. It was the need to produce reliable castings for the War Ministry the started the investigation and found the answer. The problem now is modern day contractors who aren't scrupulous about the mix.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”