The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 am

BNR No 11 has now re-entered service after a visit to the paintshop. The rear wheelset has been slightly sprung which has removed its tendency to stall on the points. It is now one of the best runners on the line and operating staff are pleased to have it back.

No11.JPG

Meanwhile someone in the loco department has developed a penchant for Mainline Collett Goods locos. One wonders whether there is a secret plan to set up a Collett Goods preservation society on the island? The plain green one has been on the line for 30 years or so. One of the spindles holding a drive gear had sheared off and it was thought to be beyond repair. Workshop staff drilled into the chassis and used an old Triang wagon axle to create a new spindle. After a bit of tweaking it runs quite well. The black and lined green ones were recently acquired and had seen little use as they both had serious running issues. They have now been restored and run OK, albeit not as well as more recent models.

Other Mainline restorations have not been successful including the kangaroo pannier described previously and a recently acquired 43XX which has early signs of mazak rot in the chassis.

Collets.JPG

Staff are now turning their attention to a significant extension of the line to Pewsley and beyond, this entails crossing a large river estuary. The parts for the new suspension bridge have recently arrived and an ore unloading facility is also to be constructed.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:41 am

Very impressive Collet fleet. Looking forward to the new extension build. The line currently goes around two walls?

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Hymirl wrote:Very impressive Collet fleet. Looking forward to the new extension build. The line currently goes around two walls?

Thank you. The Mainline Collett Goods do have a certain charm and are one of Mainline's slightly more robust models. The network is U shaped. Engineering staff have been getting in some practice on CAD ready for the new extension and have now drawn up most of the existing network.

BNRMapSM.jpg

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm

I have 3 mainline 4-6-0s in my collection. One I got free as a non runner which it has resolutely stayed non running with a short somewhere. The other two seem fine. In theory I can run the broken green standard 4 with the black standard 4's chassis if I want variety in fleet operations.

The BNR's technical drawing team deserve an extra mince pie I say! Its a nice terminus to fiddle setup, the branch expanding past Ivygale then?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Mystery shorts on Mainline chassis. Check the screws that hold together the two halves of the chassis. They frequently have two screws going into a hole that passes through both frames and the insulating block. The screws come in two lengths and all of the long ones should be on one side, all of the short ones on the other. Two long screws in same hole = short circuit. Not at all obvious looking at it..
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Hymirl wrote:The BNR's technical drawing team deserve an extra mince pie I say! Its a nice terminus to fiddle setup, the branch expanding past Ivygale then?

That CAD program does have quite a learning curve! The plan is for the branch to be extended to Pewsley. The mainline may also have a diversion via Movitch or Salupy Covum. New connections to an iron ore facility and a suspension bridge across an estuary are also planned.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 pm

The line has a long history of Mainline motive power. The J72s were the only locos that could take two coaches up the lines extreme early gradients. The lines two J72s are still going decades later, although there was a break for several years when services were temporarily suspended. The line has also had several ex LMS 4-6-0s and a Std 4 is a long term resident.

The loco department have amassed quite a few spares for the ex LMS 4-6-0s, Collett Goods and J72s to keep them going for a few more years. One top tip is to use graphite powder to lubricate the axles rather than oil. This does not damage the plastic, is electrically conductive and does not seem to attract dirt as much as oil.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Santa was obviously having reindeer problems and was hoping to sneak onto a service to the North Pole, via the BNR, to get ready for Xmas. He was unfortunately spotted by two young residents who were concerned that the lack of a chimney in their residence might prevent him from dropping in later :) .

Santa2018.JPG

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:13 pm

GeraldH wrote:The line has a long history of Mainline motive power. The J72s were the only locos that could take two coaches up the lines extreme early gradients. The lines two J72s are still going decades later, although there was a break for several years when services were temporarily suspended. The line has also had several ex LMS 4-6-0s and a Std 4 is a long term resident.

The loco department have amassed quite a few spares for the ex LMS 4-6-0s, Collett Goods and J72s to keep them going for a few more years. One top tip is to use graphite powder to lubricate the axles rather than oil. This does not damage the plastic, is electrically conductive and does not seem to attract dirt as much as oil.

Very good tip about the graphite powder. I know where there is a J72 for sale at a reasonable price. Also I have one which wore through its con-rods. Otherwize it was a runner (Though would need a good clean by now to get it running again).

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:52 am

The workshops have been quieter than usual this winter due to a hand injury to a key member of staff. The window frames of a recently re-wheeled short bogie coach have however been painted black, which greatly improves the appearance.

Windows.JPG

The line has a surplus of motive power, in part due to the workshop staff's fixation with cheap Mainline locomotives. The workshop team have become very adept at restoring them, although some are beyond even their capabilities. The company also tries to recycle and reuse materials and attempts to avoid putting anything into landfill. This surplus of motive power means that many of the locos sit idle in Lewitton shed and in the main depot at Brundlewick.

LocoShed.JPG

Despite this, someone in the operating department has got carried away again :) . They were given permission to acquire a 43XX and came back with a Mainline Jubilee and a Mainline Rebuilt Patriot! The Jubilee went straight into service, but the Patriot requires a lot more attention... Meanwhile the Chief Operating Officer is nowhere to be found :) .
Attachments
Amethyst.JPG

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:51 pm

The BNR have recently reorganised their workshops to improve productivity. This is just as well, as the loco department have got carried away again and procured an apparently mint, unused, Mainline 43XX. The loco department have been looking for a small tender loco, with an easily detachable tender and despite the problems with the previous 43XX which resulted in it being returned, took a chance on another one.

PolyMark.JPG

The new arrival is unfortunately another basket case. Prolonged storage (upside down?) has caused the polystyrene packaging to fuse with the paintwork on the top of the boiler. There is also some damage to the chassis and one of the gear spindles has snapped off. The other side of the chassis is showing very early indications of mazak rot and may not last in the longer term. One handrail knob is also loose, but this is an easy fix.

Spindle.JPG

The works have in the past successfully restored a Mainline Collett Goods with a broken gear spindle by drilling through the chassis where the spindle was located and inserting some steel rod in the hole. It is planned to try that here and some 2mm stainless steel rod has now been ordered.

The marks on the boiler have been removed using a cotton bud and some chewing gum remover, followed by some toothpaste. The loco now smells minty fresh :) . The clean up has not been entirely successful, as it may have removed some of the paint. Fortunately the body underneath the paint is also black...

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:51 pm

The BNR's workshop should go into scrap renovation with all these busted mainline locos, or they need a word with the management about their impulse buying!!

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:16 am

Hymirl wrote:The BNR's workshop should go into scrap renovation with all these busted mainline locos, or they need a word with the management about their impulse buying!!

The workshop team love a challenge it seems, but this should be the last Mainline arrival for a while. The line currently has 2 x J72s, 3 x Collett Goods, a 43XX, a Std 4 and 3 x Jubilees/Patriots, plus quite a stock of non-runners for spares. All are runners apart from the 43XX. One or two may be withdrawn for parts at some point, but that should be enough to keep the workshop occupied over the next few years :) .

If all else fails, the 43XX may have its chassis replaced with one from an 61XX.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu May 02, 2019 12:10 pm

The BNR recently purchased some second hand signals for their long planned extension. Unfortunately the stop, which prevents the upper quadrant arm from falling below horizontal, had been snapped off on one of them. Workshop staff drilled out the post where the stop had been and turned down a piece of plastic rod with a file to create a new stop. The signal is now ready for installation.

SignalDrilled.JPG

SignalFixed.JPG

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu May 02, 2019 2:20 pm

I like your railway. I sometimes get coonfused between this one and another raolway on here. Yours has a lovely blue livery, so I can work out which is which. :D I am trying to think of the other one which I once assumed was the same railway... Ooh. I think it is Glencairns railway.
Not sure why but you two have similar styles though they are both different, and both I like a lot, as there are stories behind the railways...The stories bring the railways to life.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”