The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Post by GeraldH »

Following advice from other railway operators, including discussions with a railway in New South Wales where the BNR's management team have strong connections, a few tweaks have been made to the arrangements at Pewsley. The demand analysis unit identified a need for additional platform space and it was decided to squeeze in an extra platform which could be used by the stopping push-pull service when the main platform was occupied. The other side of the platform adjacent to the ore siding could also be used to unload some other freight including parcels.
ExtraPlatform.JPG
There was insufficient space for the additional shorter platform with the original track layout and so it was decided to move the ore unloading line slightly further away by incorporating inserting additional curves. This was just about possible using the original earthworks. Of course the track had already been laid by the time the decision was made, but better late than never :) .

A few test trains have now been run to check clearances.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice. I like this. Is there a place to hold a loco ready for backing onto a train? I have seen the run round loop, but a spur to hold a loco even if it is a short shunting loco loke a littlw diesel maybe a plan? (Though you may need to check with the board of directors!)
Lachute

Post by Lachute »

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Progress on the extension has again slowed due to unforeseen circumstances, coupled with a bit of incompetence and some penny pinching by the line's accountants. The new entrance via the pedestrian subway had to be painted and stripped several times due to the use of very old paint found in the stores. The enamel paint had solidified somewhat over 30 years, but it was decided to stir in some thinners and give it a go. Management decided that it did not crate a very good impression for passengers using the new station and so it was decided to strip it off and use another tin of unopened 30 year old enamel instead. The line has been using Modelstrip for many years to remove enamel paint, but it no longer seems to work very well, or even at all? As a last resort staff raided their kitchen and applied some Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner which did remove the paint, though it sightly stained the surface of the new platform :o. The subway has now been successfully repainted and is ready to welcome passengers.
Pewsley230720.JPG
Canopies have now been erected on the main platform, but there was also a need for an office for station staff as well as additional shelter further along the platform. Construction has now started on a new building using the Linka system.
Shelter.JPG
The engine shed has now been glazed and some services are now running to iron out any teething problems.

pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

It's coming together nicely! The platforms blend together well and the subway is a good space saver as I assume the main station building is underground or elsewhere.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

pete12345 wrote:It's coming together nicely! The platforms blend together well and the subway is a good space saver as I assume the main station building is underground or elsewhere.
Plans for station facilities are a little fluid at the moment. Given that the project is so far behind schedule, there was pressure from the populace to get the trains running asap. At the moment there is a member of staff in a little cabin near the subway entrance checking and selling tickets. A small office and waiting shelter is currently under construction. In the longer term there has been talk of some kind of overall roof...

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Mountain wrote:Very nice. I like this. Is there a place to hold a loco ready for backing onto a train? I have seen the run round loop, but a spur to hold a loco even if it is a short shunting loco loke a littlw diesel maybe a plan? (Though you may need to check with the board of directors!)
Trial services have commenced and there may be some changes as a result of any teething problems. The Bachmann curved point seems to be causing a few issues, even though the geometry is the same as the Peco and Hornby ones which have generally been OK.

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The platforms are now ready and some buffer blocks with red markers have been added. These were salvaged when the line was destroyed in an earthquake nearly 30 years ago. This should prevent any trains falling into the chasm at the end of the earthworks :) .
Buffers.JPG

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The shortened Grand Suspension Bridge has now been completed. It proved to be a very simple exercise to produce a shorter version to cross the gorge between Ivygale and Pewsley. It also looks rather attractive with its freshly painted piers and has become something of a tourist attraction.
SusBridge.JPG
SusBridge2.JPG

glencairn

Post by glencairn »

The BNR has a charm and magic all of its own. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Thank you all for your kind comments. The roofers have now arrived to finish off the construction of the platform shelter and office. Although Linka moulds can be used to produce roofing materials, there are very visible gaps between the moulds and the material is just too thick. One would not want the roof to collapse onto the passengers.

A lighter roofing material was therefore required and to speed up production roofing slates have been prepared in strips which are then cut-out and scored before being affixed to the roof.
Tiles.JPG
The slate strips were attached to the roof which was created from recycled material (cereal packet). The roofers are still getting the hang of this new material and didn't quite align things correctly on the platform side of the roof, but this will hopefully look OK once painted.
Tiles2.JPG
Two other issues with Linka are the fragility of the castings and the gaps between sections that can be quite evident in the walls. The castings can be strengthened by painting them inside and out with diluted PVA. This gaps can then be filled with diluted filler wiped in with a small stiff to brush.
Tiles3.JPG

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The roofers and glaziers have now completed their work at the new office and waiting shelter at Pewsley. The workmanship leaves a little to be desired, but it was something of a learning curve with the new materials. 80 gsm tiles are a little too thin and something like 120 gsm will be used in future. Wider glazing bars also need to be sourced and a custom (scribing) tool may be developed for this in the workshops.
PewsleyStn.JPG
At least the staff have somewhere for their tea breaks now :) . Some benches will be fitted inside the waiting area made from recycled timber (coffee stirrers) at some point. Meanwhile Bert the station master is standing proudly in front of his BNR French Blue door.

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

A couple of specials recently visited from the mainland... after being fitted with 4 ft 1½ in wheelsets of course :) .
Class31.JPG
Class158.JPG

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Considerable efforts have been expended in the search for a compact signal box for Pewsley. One was eventually sourced by the Procurement Team. It has now been erected, but is not yet operational. Some remedial work is required which will include glazing the windows and replacing the missing chimney.
PewselySB.JPG
The suspension bridge across Ivygale Gorge has finally been completed and the branch push pull service can be seen heading over it.
Stays.JPG
Meanwhile the loco department are trying to find one of their three preserved 61XX Prairie tanks. It was securely stored just before the earthquake struck, but there seems to be no trace of it...

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Now that Pewsley Station is open, seating is required for the waiting passengers. The workshops rustled through their stores, found some recycled timber (coffee stirrers) and put the carpentry team on the case. The BNR's standard 3cm long benches soon emerged from the production line. They need a bit of tidying up and will then be painted in French Blue and grey.
PewsleyBench.JPG
The next job is a Linka coaling stage...