The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:38 pm

British diesels of a similar general appearance made do without any handrails along the body sides

The class 20 certainly had them, in fact they went right around the front of the "bonnet" and down to the footplate at the front corners,
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Droopy

Postby Droopy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 pm

Hello,
it's a wonderful layout you have built. Congrats. I read all the pages of your thread since the beginning. Do you have any problems with your American diesels on the Peco points ?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Though I will wait for Gerald to answer, I would not have thought there is an issue, as Peco code 100 track sleeper length and spacing is actually based on H0 rather than 00 because the majority of Peco sales were sold in the USA. 00 and one needed longer sleepers with an extra few millimetres gap between them which does not really matter because 00 is a bit of a compromise anyway. (Which is another reason why Peco may have adopted H0 rather than 00 track spacing and sleeper length rather than adopt 00 as at least they had it right for one of the scales).
Geralds decided to call his railway a 4ft gauge railway which is officially narrow gauge but it is actually closer to 00 gauge then calling it standard gauge.
I love this approach, and the way in which it follows what a real railway company would do had it been in private hands and would have needed to buy in locomotives from anywhere it could to address its locomotive and rolling stock needs. I actually like to look at some railways in places like Africa and elsewhere where they had to buy in locos from all over the world (At great expense as well as it wasn't cheap to ship a loco over there) and they would try their best to keep them on the rails for as long as possible with limited resources and spares.
One would see British, American, German and even Japanese built locos running alongside each other in some countries. It was whatever they could get at the time that would work for them, and often the job of converting them to have the same buffers and braking systems was quite a challenge. Sometimes it was even easier to import rolling stock to run with the locos rather than try and convert the locos over to whatever systems they were using.

Geralds railway really does have an interesting feel of realism especially when he paints his locos and stock in his company colours, and just like the real railways, this would take time to do, so first they may keep the old livery but put their own company branding on the side.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Droopy wrote:Hello,
Do you have any problems with your American diesels on the Peco points ?

Peco points (turnouts) are popular with a lot of American modellers, so there shouldn't be any challenges.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments. The Bachmann and AHM/Mehano US diesels have had no problems with the Peco and Hornby points. The AHM/Mehano diesels do occasionally stall, but that's because they only pick up on 4 wheels. The modern Bachmann diesels with 8 wheel drive are definitely higher quality and have much better slow speed control, but they are more modern and of course more expensive.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:47 am

Bufferstop wrote:
British diesels of a similar general appearance made do without any handrails along the body sides

The class 20 certainly had them, in fact they went right around the front of the "bonnet" and down to the footplate at the front corners,

You're right, of course. I was thinking more of the US-style fence along the edge of the footplate which is causing trouble for the BNR.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Droopy

Postby Droopy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello GeraldH,
did you make some videos about your American diesels running on you layout ? Thanks.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:54 pm

Droopy wrote:Hello GeraldH,
did you make some videos about your American diesels running on you layout ? Thanks.

Not yet, although there are one or two other videos on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHU8vy ... tmICJ0rAsA

Droopy

Postby Droopy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks. Very interesting videos.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:01 pm

It's time for Santa Specials on the Island of Ballybongle. Santa flew in and was spotted sneaking out of the grotto to buy an ice cream. He's obviously used to the cold! :)

SantaIjs.jpg

The clerestory rake has been dusted off for a special train to Pewsley. Congestion at the junction meant that the run run loop was not available for the preserved pannier tank and so the station pilot BNR No 5 had to help out.

SantaTrein.jpg

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Ice cream is for life, not just for summer.

Wishing all the residents of Ballybongle, especially the BNR correspondent, a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Looking forward to further news from a railway that is firmly in the Fun category.

Best wishes, -Al. :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:40 pm

Kindling wrote:Ice cream is for life, not just for summer.

Wishing all the residents of Ballybongle, especially the BNR correspondent, a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Looking forward to further news from a railway that is firmly in the Fun category.

Best wishes, -Al. :)

Thank you :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:18 pm

The line's management like simple and robust older locos and in the last few years have acquired a number of mostly Airfix preserved 61XX prairies in various states of repair. These locos have a number of failings such as unflanged centre drivers, traction tyres on one wheel, slidebars that can get bent inwards when locos are lifted causing them to shear off and rear trucks that fall apart. They are also very noisy. :o .

Three are currently in service on the BNR and all now have fully flanged drivers using wheels salvaged from scrapped locos. The next stage in the upgrade is the removal of traction tyres. It was recently discovered that the metal tyres can be removed from the wheels and as the tyres come off on the chassis side, this avoids the need to remove and reinstall crankpins.

61xxWheels.JPG

The tyres do take quite a bit of effort to pull off. Freezing the wheels might have made things easier which would have avoided a minor injury to the workshop staff! The wheels have to be removed to get the tyre off the axle and to ensure that quartering was retained a line was drawn across the axle pointing to the crankpin.

61XXQuartered.JPG

The wheel with its replacement tyre was refitted and some improved couplings added at the same time. The rear truck had been reinforced earlier with a self tapping screw.

61XXRear.JPG

A spare superstructure was also fitted and 6134 lubricated to reduce the noise. The preserved prairie has now joined it's classmates hauling Santa specials :).

61XXComplete_sml.JPG

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:32 pm

The cold weather has spurred on management to finally address the long promised overall roof at Pewsley on the extension. There was much debate as to how this should be constructed and it was decided that Linka alone would not be robust enough to withstand potential earthquakes. A composite timber and Linka construction is therefore being produced. This is the first time such an approach has been attempted and it has proved rather challenging for the carpenters and stonemasons. One wall is now slowly coming together, although there is clearly a need for more mortar on a couple of the joints! :)

OverallRoof1.jpg

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:13 pm

Work is continuing on Pewsley's overall roof. It seems that the carpenters may not have got everything quite right and a few tweaks might be needed to the roof beams. The stonemasons have made good progress, although those arches don't seem very well supported!

OverallRoof2.JPG

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”