The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4753
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Mountain » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:21 am

Nice.......

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Thank you for all your kind comments. Workers have now assembled the base of the new coaling stage using the Linka components reinforced with diluted PVA. There has been some skimping with the casting material, it was acquired for free and it is not as strong as some of the better materials.

Coaling.JPG


The loco department are requesting that some form of hoist be incorporated to speed up coaling. The project is is danger of going over budget and so engineers are currently trawling through the railways junk-yard to see if they can fabricate something.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Progress continues to be made on the coaling stage and the frame of a hoist has been constructed using recycled materials from the stores (candy floss stick, matchsticks, sawn off Triang coach rivet, one leg from the centre support of a takeaway pizza box & a piece of styrene tube). This required some precision joinery with a razor saw. The hoist will be able to rotate over any locos on shed greatly speeding up coaling .

Hoist.JPG


Workmen can be seen levelling up the hoist rotating mechanism and they are now scratching their heads trying to figure out how to rig up some form of pulley system. Rebuilt Patriots are not normally allocated to Pewsley shed, but it was decided to test things out on one of the line's largest (preserved) steam locos.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
manna
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 am
Location: Booborowie S Aust

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby manna » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 pm

G'Day Gents

Like the coal hoist, now comes the hard part, Tub or Bucket !!!

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm

manna wrote:Like the coal hoist, now comes the hard part, Tub or Bucket !!!


It might be a combination of both :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:39 pm

The railway seems to have become obsessed with its coaling facilities of late with work continuing on facilities on the extension at Pewsley. Recycled steel rod (pins) and timber (rounded ends of coffee stirrers) have been used to create the cable run.

PewsleyCoal.jpg


The old hoist at Lewitton was obviously not designed by a structural engineer as it was seriously lacking in rigidity. Additional cross-members from an old footbridge have been added with more to follow. The paint has also been touched up, although it seems to have got grubby rather quickly as they obviously started using it before the paint dried!

LewittonCoal.jpg
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Work has continued on Pewsley's coaling stage which is now more or less complete. Bricklayers have also been going around the system repointing the various Linka stone structures. The coaling stage hoist is now fully operational and the bucket can be raised and lowered by rotating the wheel from an old car by hand. A second bucket has had to be constructed from recycled plastic waste (an old pen, a bit of SIM card and some handrail) as the first one was too small. The smaller bucket, which was constructed in the same way, has now been put to good use in the goods yard at the junction.

CoalStageFinish.JPG


Some adjustment to the recently laid track at the station throat has been required. The Bachmann curved point was causing very rough riding resulting in several derailments and frequently causing locos to stall. Although these points are described as the same as the Hornby ones, measurements by the gangers has ascertained that the check rails on the Bachmann ones are further from the running rails. A new Peco curved point has now been fitted and running has improved dramatically. Passengers no longer have to cling onto their seats on the approach to Pewsley and the breakdown team can relax at last :) .

PecoReplacement.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
Mannick
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Mannick » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Wonderful layout.
Image

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Mannick wrote:Wonderful layout.


Thank you :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:29 pm

A recent minor earthquake has resulted in a new rock formation appearing at the entrance to Pewsley Station. Geologists and civil engineers have moved in to tidy things up. There is some confusion as to the rock type, but it seems to be easily profiled with a padsaw :) . The opportunity is being taken to reuse some old girders to create a new footpath across the line,

Landscape.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
Mannick
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Mannick » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:47 pm

GeraldH wrote:A recent minor earthquake has resulted in a new rock formation appearing at the entrance to Pewsley Station.
It looks like you live in a very dangerous country... :lol:

User avatar
pete12345
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:53 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby pete12345 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:00 am

GeraldH wrote:Some adjustment to the recently laid track at the station throat has been required. The Bachmann curved point was causing very rough riding resulting in several derailments and frequently causing locos to stall. Although these points are described as the same as the Hornby ones, measurements by the gangers has ascertained that the check rails on the Bachmann ones are further from the running rails. A new Peco curved point has now been fitted and running has improved dramatically. Passengers no longer have to cling onto their seats on the approach to Pewsley and the breakdown team can relax at last :) .


The Hornby ones are known for misplaced check rails which don't do anything. They can be fixed by adding a strip of thin plastic to the outside to increase the check gauge. But replacement with alternative suppliers is probably best overall.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:18 pm

pete12345 wrote:
GeraldH wrote:Some adjustment to the recently laid track at the station throat has been required. The Bachmann curved point was causing very rough riding resulting in several derailments and frequently causing locos to stall. Although these points are described as the same as the Hornby ones, measurements by the gangers has ascertained that the check rails on the Bachmann ones are further from the running rails. A new Peco curved point has now been fitted and running has improved dramatically. Passengers no longer have to cling onto their seats on the approach to Pewsley and the breakdown team can relax at last :) .


The Hornby ones are known for misplaced check rails which don't do anything. They can be fixed by adding a strip of thin plastic to the outside to increase the check gauge. But replacement with alternative suppliers is probably best overall.


I had thought that this was only an issue with the earlier Hornby curved points (the ones made before Hornby started imitating Peco's tiebar) but it seems that the problem is more widespread. There are two of the most recent Hornby curved points at the junction and they work pretty well. There's plenty of plain Settrack from Bachmann and Hornby on the line which has also been trouble free, but when it comes to Settrack points it seems that the only safe option now is Peco
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
GeraldH
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Isle of Ballybongle
Contact:

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Geologists have been busy stabilising the slopes on the Pewsley extension with Plaster of Paris bandage. The Ramblers are a bit unhappy about the amount of time it is taking for their pedestrian bridge to appear. Hopefully in the next few weeks...

PewsLandscape.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4753
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Mountain » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Nice! .......


Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests