The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 am

Santa was spotted late on Christmas Day in the car park outside the junction station. He was looking a little unsteady on his feet and seemed to be using the Royal Mail van for support, but he'd probably had a pretty long day...

Santa.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Brilliant! :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:02 pm

He looks like he has had quite a few sherries and mince pies.

manna

Postby manna » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

G'Day Gents

Love it, but 'Santa' looks like he's been trying out the treadmills..........just to see if they work, of course. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:59 am

The BNR's workshops were recently given a kit of parts for a Bachmann split chassis Pannier tank with a failed power unit. Management thought that it might be useful to have a small, powerful loco to tackle the severe gradients. Workshop staff have some experience with split chassis locos and rarely give up on a project, so they managed to get the loco going with a new power unit and a rebuilt wheelset. The resulting loco can't however be described as a smooth runner and exhibits kangaroo like tendencies. Crews have refused to go on the footplate and given that the BNR have plenty of other locos, this one has already been taken out of service :) .

Pannier.JPG

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:01 am

Sounds similar to a Mainline Pannier tank with a split chassis >- all went well, then the wheels /gear went out of quarter and the decoder went up in smoke! - subsequently rusting away in a disused siding! Has anyone modelled the Woodham Brothers on Barry Island! :shock:
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 am

Eastern wrote:Sounds similar to a Mainline Pannier tank with a split chassis >- all went well, then the wheels /gear went out of quarter and the decoder went up in smoke! - subsequently rusting away in a disused siding! Has anyone modelled the Woodham Brothers on Barry Island! :shock:

It's basically the same as the Mainline Pannier, but with a Bachmann branded baseplate. The later Bachmann ones are much improved.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:14 pm

The BNR's management have been receiving complaints for a number of years about inadequate seating on platforms. Management investigated the seating available from the usual suppliers, but did not consider them sufficiently robust. It turned out that the workshops had quite a large supply of recycled timber from coffee shops and in keeping with the company's environmental goals, it was decided to investigate the construction of benches using this material. Some existing seating and two passengers were brought into the workshops so that the design team could mock up some seats.

Bench1.JPG

The process went very well and the result was six new double sides benches. These will shortly be painted in the BNR's corporate colour scheme and installed on the railway, just in time for high season.

Bench2.JPG

If any other railways are interested in the design, the benches are 3cm long with a 2.5 cm long reinforcement underneath between the legs. Care should be taken to match up the recycled timber as there are slight variations in width and thickness. Workshop staff used a small razor saw, a sharp knife, a fine flat file and emery board during construction.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Very nice indeed!

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Workshop staff have finally got around the painting the benches in the BNR's corporate colour of Humbrol 14 French Blue. Passengers were brought in for final bench testing :-) .

BenchBarrow.JPG

Workshop staff also found two broken wheel barrows in the stores. The over enthusiastic track gang had broken both wheels many years ago and have had to make do with only one wheel barrow between them. Workshop staff managed to create two new wheels by carefully slicing the end off some spare plastic rod - good as new!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 am

I have seats like that inside my coaches. Poor people with flat bottoms glued into position!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:55 pm

GeraldH wrote:=It's basically the same as the Mainline Pannier, but with a Bachmann branded baseplate. The later Bachmann ones are much improved.

Could have been a "Replica Railways" version, they were branded Bachmann on the baseplate, but we're 100% Mainline designs. Bachmann changed the motors when very soon after releasing their own.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:09 pm

I had both a Mainline version and a Replica version and both ran supurbly. It is hard to think how their running can be improved. They were may favourite GWR locos as models.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 pm

The one Replica model I have has had no problems in 20yrs, and my Mainline Collet goods ran until the bearings were worn right through with just one replacement armature, I also have a very early Bachmann 0-6-0 split chassis mechanism which is showing no signs of wear or the dreaded swelling plastic wheels, so I must be darned lucky.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:58 pm

The British Rail services, which run through the tunnel from the UK to Ballybongle, tend to take a lower profile on the island and only run on the mainline unless there is a special event. BR Stock changes are rare, as vehicles have to be converted to island's 4 foot 1.5 inch gauge. It was recently decided to upgrade the (Lima) Class 73's power unit and the opportunity was taken to purchase another (Hornby) Class 73 as a donor. The Hornby 73 had a few quirks, with both traction tyres on the same axle and pickups that were adjusted so severely that the trailing wheels struggled to turn. The Hornby Class 73 could barely haul anything up the line's gradients.

Green73.JPG

Workshop staff swapped the tyred wheels over to put one one each axle and completely re-aligned the pickups to reduce pressure on the trailing wheels. The updated 73 has now entered service with BR. The old power unit now sits under the replacement green body and has been hired to the BNR for the summer season.

IMG_1982.JPG

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”