The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby GeraldH » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:45 am

There has been an increase in freight traffic on the line lately due to a growth in timber traffic and recycling of scrap metal. Large quantities of good condition recycled timber are now being transported by the Ballybongle National Railway (BNR). A lot of it seems to have originated from coffee shops on the mainland. The timber is roped together using cotton and supported on a raised balsa base. The scrap includes worn out 0-4-0 worm wheels, an old tank and bits of broken wagons.

Loads.JPG
Loads.JPG (52.03 KiB) Viewed 3486 times

To assist in shunting operations, a special uncoupling device has been developed from a recycled pen, SIM card packaging, a broken in-tray and a right angled piece of sprue.

Uncoupler.JPG
Uncoupler.JPG (37.52 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:01 pm

One by one, the worlds most intriguing mysteries are being revealed. First, we were told the first name of Inspector Morse, and now, at last, finally, to resounding cheers and celebration, we have been told the meaning of the initials "BNR"!
For its imagination and resourcefulness, this has to be my favourite thread on the NRM forum. Thank you GeraldH. May the inspiration and entertainment continue! :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Kindling wrote:One by one, the worlds most intriguing mysteries are being revealed. First, we were told the first name of Inspector Morse, and now, at last, finally, to resounding cheers and celebration, we have been told the meaning of the initials "BNR"!
For its imagination and resourcefulness, this has to be my favourite thread on the NRM forum. Thank you GeraldH. May the inspiration and entertainment continue! :)

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm sure there'll be a few more quirky tales from Ballybongle to come... :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Slow progress continues on the BNR's shunter/station pilot. Some horns and marker lights have now been attached, along with the rear steps. The loco is now undergoing trials and is proving fairly successful.

Shunter0414.jpg
Shunter0414.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

The BNR have just taken delivery of an new 0-6-0 from the Jouef workshops. The superstructure is rather small compared to the other BNR locos and rolling stock, but it has so far proved to be an excellent runner. The chassis is likely to be used under one of the Hornby 0-4-0's - probably the Top Tank. In the background is the Linka water tower, now with a tank made from an inside out soft drink can complete with indentations for rivets - careful the metal is sharp!

Jouef.jpg
Jouef.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

The Triang-Hornby Nellie is also likely to receive a new chassis - possibly from a Dapol Terrier. The other project bubbling away is a Hornby International Tank which is going to be tweaked to look a little like a SR USA class loco. The BNR has such a loco in the past (see earlier in the thread), but it was disposed of as the workshops did not have the skills or equipment in those days to get it running properly.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I like your Pilot/shunter, I went the other way with one and cut it down to make a 7mm Narrow gauge loco:

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Lots and lots of great ideas for (and from) your layout GeraldH.
Thanks for pointing my in your threads direction :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:55 am

The BNR's Hornby Nellie has been having problems stalling and jumping on newer points due to the deep flanges. The flanges were turned down with a drill and a file, but the wide treads also seemed to be causing issues. The operating authorities have been thinking about new wheels and/or a new chassis for a while, but thanks to some advice from other railway operators on the forum, it seemed that a cost effective approach might be to use some Smokey Joe type wheels and axles to upgrade Nellie. The Smokey Joe wheels are too small to fit on the old axles, so the new axles have to be used which have a reduced diameter at the ends. It doesn't seem to be possible to buy the wheels and axles for the new 0-4-0s separately, but a complete chassis without cylinders can be picked up for GBP 15 or so.

The first job is to remove the old wheels, axles and worm wheel from Nellie. The worm wheel is ideally re-used on the Smokey Joe axles. As the Smokey Joe wheels are insulated on both sides, an additional pickup has to be fitted to Nellie. In this case a piece of brass was soldered to the inside of the chassis and some phosphor bronze pickups soldered to this making the chassis live, so that the existing wiring would work unaltered. A small piece of the pickup base had to be cut out to make a space for the new pickups.

NelliePup.jpg
NelliePup.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

Next the wheels and axles were removed from the Smokey Joe chassis. The connecting rods and crankpins were left in place as the crankpins are difficult to remove non-destructively. The Smokey Joe wheels and axles were fitted to Nellie with the old worm wheel. The wheels were quartered by eye, if you are careful you can feel the notches imprinted in the new wheels and get them in at the right angle.

Nellie.JPG
Nellie.JPG (66.38 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

Nellie is now a great runner. The metal chassis gives her a bit more weight than the regular Hornby 0-4-0s which helps. The total cost of the conversion was about GBP 15 with a little bit of solder and an hour or two of workshop time. Now that the BNR's workshop has mastered the technique, the operating authorities are looking at other locos which use the Nellie chassis, like the old Triang 0-4-0 diesel shunter.... :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Now that the Top tank has donated it's wheels and axles to Nellie, a new chassis is required for the top tank. It turned out that the BNR's workshops had an old Dapol Terrier chassis in store. The new chassis has been temporaily fitted to enable trials to take place. The loco looks a bit more purposeful with a six coupled chassis and is a much better slow runner too. If the trials are successful the wheels and chassis will be painted black.

TopTankChassis.jpg
TopTankChassis.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 3177 times

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Centurion wrote:I like your Pilot/shunter, I went the other way with one and cut it down to make a 7mm Narrow gauge loco:

Thank you. That's a nice job :) .

Those Lima Plymouth shunters have proved pretty useful on the BNR, although some have quite high gearing and the wheels pick up dirt quite rapidly. I think you can replace the Lima wheels with Hornby ex Lima ones from the 121 DMU, although the gear needs to be salvaged from the old wheels. The newer wheels are slightly finer and plated so they need less cleaning.

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Top tank looks like a real workhorse on the Terrier chassis :)
Regards
Christopher D.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Just landed on the first page of this thread 'cos I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Seeing your mods to the Triang shorty brake coach it struck me that what you have created there is pretty close to a "Directors Saloon" or a CME's inspection coach. Think I'll be keeping my eye's open for a half decent one at the swapmeets, and in the secondhand boxes. Keep up the good work re interpreting railway history.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Just landed on the first page of this thread 'cos I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Seeing your mods to the Triang shorty brake coach it struck me that what you have created there is pretty close to a "Directors Saloon" or a CME's inspection coach. Think I'll be keeping my eye's open for a half decent one at the swapmeets, and in the secondhand boxes. Keep up the good work re interpreting railway history.
John W aka Bufferstop

Another great thing about those Triang shorty coaches is that they are so cheap, some of mine only cost me a pound :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:54 pm

ceejaydee wrote:Top tank looks like a real workhorse on the Terrier chassis :)

The Top Tank now has black wheels and looks more the part. I've just got to paint the frames black now.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:11 am

Just found this thread, following a signpost.

Oh I like it... All these transplants.
Do you have an Igor or two working for you?

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm

GeraldH wrote:Now that the Top tank has donated it's wheels and axles to Nellie, a new chassis is required for the top tank. It turned out that the BNR's workshops had an old Dapol Terrier chassis in store. The new chassis has been temporaily fitted to enable trials to take place. The loco looks a bit more purposeful with a six coupled chassis and is a much better slow runner too. If the trials are successful the wheels and chassis will be painted black.

Looks like a proper tugboat now :) Can just see it slowly dragging huge quantities of coal wagons around a yard somewhere.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”