BOLTON ABBEY RENAMED. Update & Pics

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pevensey Flyer

Re: N gauge being made from scraps

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks Guys for your comments. It's only because I've been made redundant recently that I've been able to spend some time on this layout.
I always prefer to do multi level layouts because of the realism of the terrain. I've got an old layout in my shed I done years ago and it just looks so dated now. Not only that for a layout its size ( 5.5ft x 3ft) it weighs a tonne! The scenery was made with paper mache and the ballast was that foam stuff. All the card pavements have lifted and the paper mache is lifting too. Maybe after this I may try to rescue it?

Anyway moving on. Today is pay your bills day and get your life in order day so the layout hasn't had much activity today. I have managed to place just a couple of the rock faces and they do look pretty good. My daughter has now decided she wants chalk rocks so it looks like we are now going for a South East ' look'. That's very handy because I have some NSE rolling stock which willnow make a guest appearance alongside Thomas.

Regarding the Modroc - I've used quite a bit! I bought a load of ebay ( about 80metres) for around £13. It's far cheaper on ebay then my local model shop which sells about 10m for nearly £7.

I would love to go to DCC but I will have to build a larger layout I think and 10mins here and there all adds up! I know what its like though- I have 2 girls - one 5 and the other 3. Both offering to lend a hand building this current layout. Bless em.

PD.

Postby PD. » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:16 am

It's looking good! :D

Just one question, how did you do the base board?
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:24 pm

Day 11 on the layout.

Hi PD - If you look at the beginning of the threads you will see that I started off by using two bits of High Density polystyrene foam for the baseboard. These were stuck down to some battens. I always ten to use soft melt glue to stick polystryene.

I've casted some rock faces during the past couple of days. I've added them to the layout by placing them where I want them and then by drawing around them before I cut into the Modroc and pushback the opening. Plaster can be a pain to stick but I have found that 'No more Nails' adhesive does the job very well. Once in position it's just a case then off filling in the gaps around the rock face using small strips of Modroc.
I didn't want to overdo it with the rocks. Near Lewes ( the town)down here on the South Downs there some great chalk rock faces.Driving past them I was very surprised to see the amount of foilage growing up them. What's more the steep embankments/slopes/faces leeding up to them were more or less totally covered in trees and grasses.

Staining the rock faces can be a bit of a hit or miss. I've managed to get some great results in the past but also some very awful ones too! However, my daughter(5) wanted to get involved with the colouring of these rocks so I let her loose on them after a bit of guidance. Not a bad job first time round?

Next has been the task of ballasting. It's one of those things you either find theraputic or you hate. I find it's theraputic when it goes ok but I hate it when it goes wrong!
Looking in my model cupboard ( in the shed again) I had found two bags of light grey ballast and one bag of mid grey ballast. I did think of blending them but instead I opted for just the light grey. I will darken it down at a later date adding grime etc.

I've done most of it now apart from around where the station will be and under the bridges. I will make sure the bridge abuttments are in place first before ballasting there.

In this picture you can see the rock faces. These might be added to as the layout progresses. The ballast has just been sprayed so looks wet at the moment but you get the idea?

Still no greenery yet and the layout still looks like a giant iceberg! The next step will be the road laying.

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Eventually everything you see white here ( except the rock faces) will be covered. This picture shows you Peco Radius 1,2,3 and 4.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi pevensey flyer, GREAT JOB On your landscaping, what did you cut the polystyrene with?

i can't wait to see this when it is finished floating around the north see and starts to melt down in the Uk where it belongs. xD nice job

Stew
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Looking good there PF, especially considering how quickly you've put this all together.

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 am

Stewart Gethin wrote:Hi pevensey flyer, GREAT JOB On your landscaping, what did you cut the polystyrene with?

i can't wait to see this when it is finished floating around the north see and starts to melt down in the Uk where it belongs. xD nice job

Stew

Thanks Guys

Making the baseboard with trackbed and scenery made form polystyrene is very easy and very simple. As you can see you can create an effective layout pretty quickly. This layout has been slightly different for me though. Looking around in my shed I had stacks of odds and ends laying around not doing anything so I thought I would try to use what i could in this layout.
The landscaping is simply made from polystyrene and newspaper covered in Modroc with a few rock castings added. The round circular bases where the small village, school and church are going to be were cut using an old jigsaw with a long finewood blade. Mind you - the styrene was high density ( a bit like you find for roof insulation) . The rest of the styrene was cut using either a bread knife or a hot wire styrene cutter ( you can get them off ebay for a few pounds or in any model/craft shop) .
Cutting the styrene and placing it all together can be rather messy so if I can I tend to do it outside in the sunshine ( what sunshine?).
If you can- try to use high density styrene. Wicks do them for loft insulation in 2.4m lengths. I've used scraps from packaging and had to glue them all together.
The good thing about this way of building a layout is that you really dont have to be that precise when it comes to the scenery. Everything in the end will fall into shape as long as you have planned the basics such as the track layout and where you want your roads etc.
Once the layout is covered with 2 or 3 coats of Modroc then the layout is as solid as a rock. Anyone who trys this method must remember to cover the layout including the front , back and sides too.All the sides will be painted black at the end.

This picture shows the back of the layout covered in Modroc which will be eventually painted matt black. Note the all important access holes for derailed trains.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:46 am

:O a kitchen knife! make sure its not one of her special ones ;)

Another thing i love about this layout, is the fact that there is so much going on, but without any points etc. its just a couple of loops, but the way you've set it out will set the viewers to try find where goes where.

Stew
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:01 am

I would also paint the inside of the tunnell areas black, this makes the tunnels look a darker when veiwed from the outside
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:02 am

Those rock faces look superb, you've coloured them brilliantly. Are they cast from the Woodland Scenics moulds?

Stecve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 am

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:I would also paint the inside of the tunnell areas black, this makes the tunnels look a darker when veiwed from the outside

Hi. These will be painted black when I paint the outside plus I will make a 'plug' to place into the access holes to stop the light shining in the tunnels too.

Yep- I used the Woodland Scenic moulds for the castings Steve. I tend to use Woodland Scenics materials a lot but their 'Scenic Cement' is pants and pretty useless. A runny mix of pva and water is definately better and so much cheaper.

The rocks were actually painted with a bit of guidance mostly by my 5 year old daughter after a practice run on a few spare bits. She really wants to get involved with this layout and trys to help out as much as possible.

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:42 am

bluechang wrote:
GunnerBill wrote:SHould you be worried about the flamability of all that polystyrene and paper?

why though? unless the OP has plans to stick a mini blow torch on top of one of his trains, I can't see why using polystyrene as a construction material would be any problem. The only thing to be concerned about with polystyrene is the type of glue used to stick sections together and the paper to it, as some glues (solvent I think) can cause polystyrene to melt, giving off fumes which would be harmful.

Yeah sure, I agree why worry about anything catching fire. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by bluechang on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Pevensey Flyer wrote:Yep- I used the Woodland Scenic moulds for the castings Steve. I tend to use Woodland Scenics materials a lot but their 'Scenic Cement' is pants and pretty useless. A runny mix of pva and water is definately better and so much cheaper.

The rocks were actually painted with a bit of guidance mostly by my 5 year old daughter after a practice run on a few spare bits. She really wants to get involved with this layout and trys to help out as much as possible.

How do you paint them? I am interested in buying some woodland scenic moulds but I am unsure about getting good results from painting them. Although now that you said you 5 year old painted them, I am feeling much more confident!:D

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Hulldude15 wrote:Though now that you said you 5 year old painted them, I am feeling much more confident!:D

Famous last words those :lol:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”