Not a layout - but railway modelling

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Not a layout - but railway modelling

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Ahh lofty,

What I also failed to mention that I was trying to spend as little as posible (Son of a good Yorkshireman).
The Heki trees were free from No.3 son's Mother-in-law who obtained a pack of 4 from the charity shop she works at.
The MDF cost £2.11; One length of 9 mm sq beading cost £1.99; Peco bufferstop at £1.28; Box of matches for fence posts 0.12 pence. Giving an expenditure of £5.50.

Everything else was 'in the shed' - to purchase 7 lots of scatter, 3 types of ballast, 3 packs of long reeds, paperclips, Fishing line, Plasticard, Wills cattle creep, PVA ..... loads of PVA !!, Resin water, Yard of track, would all no doubt have pushed the price up a bit !!!!! Good fun though - IMHO.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Geoff, firstly cows. Here is a link
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/region/f-brit.html
and then...
I think row 2 has what I wanted to show you (great pug photos)
http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/c1030111.html
lovely little engines! and the Caley one is the same number as Smokey Joe, if that matters.
Regards
rocketman
Last edited by rocketman on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi rocketman,
Sadly the cattle link didn't work ...... but those are some super clear Pug photos.
I just wish I'd cut off the loco rear buffers and the facing ones on the wagon tender, just adding small dumb versions (blocks of wood). Then close coupling the two - I may have to re-visit the caledonian or perhaps even buy another. The other dodge, given time and the inclination, is to add pickups to the tender and permanently wire into the loco so the short wheelbase stall problems are removed once and for all !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Yes, and I await the tools and courage to begin that hacking. I prefer the old Caley bodies with the handrails.
Cows should now work too
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Look at the tractor as bought on page 2 .......... this is more like a working tractor used on muddy low lying pastures ......

The Peco black & white fresian cows are also going through a change, my paint mix came out too shiny so will be matt varnished and then some dry brushing to be added around the faces.
Looking much better through my eyes.

Yes, rocketman, thanks for updating that cattle link - mine are an unspecified breed, happy mongrels !!

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:43 pm

There were more mongrels around in those days!...?
most people and cows did not have a pedigree...those were rare and very expensive, but their antecedants were still visible.
nice cows!
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Programming track ideal for taking photos ..........
Oh, I forgot to add my rabbits !!

Think I'll do a set, running through some of my favourite locos.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:27 pm

The sun came out ........
My first 2 sets of motive power were a class 06 and this Heljan 33 back in June/July 2008.
Here is the 33 which was lightly weathered.

At last I'm happy with the standard of modelling achieved - now all I have to learn to do is extend this, first to an area of around 6' x 3' then the clubs planned 24' x 3'.

Geoff T.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Hiya Geoff, got to say, the low down shots of the Collett's 22 and the 33 look very impressive chap. great work.. will follow this with great interest, good scenic work chap. 8)

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Very nice Geoff, really like that small piece of programming track looks super shame about the overcast sky, really does bugger up the digital camera's light reaction, but never the less great :)

jack richards

Postby jack richards » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:33 am

Very good keep posting please!

Jack

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Just to let you know I am still modelling .....
Another small 'live' Diorama which has to be finished by mid March.
Truly looking like a building site, which in a way it is !

My programming track should be with me at the MKMRS show on Saturday.
Just brought it in from the garage today, boy did it need a rail cleaning job.

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Glad to hear you are still modeling, because it is very good. I have been collecting stock and will be making my baseboards soon (thanks for the boat links, I have ordered a couple). I will be PMing you about posting photos once I get started.
My Friends of Pendon card eventually arrived today. Have you been yet?
Regards
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi rocketman,

Not had the chance yet. Had a burst pipe under the bedroom floor which flooded the kitchen, then I've been decorating in two houses, sorting out my little car, in fact so far this year I've had very little free time.

Using what free time I have I started several projects for inclusion in future layouts.
Here I have the latest diorama in the background, my weighbridge & coal office under construction and the outhouses to fit the rear of a small terrace of houses to be built on a 1:10 hill.

This closeup shows how much it will/would benefit from a fitted interior with desks and such !!

I'm no loco collector, can soon get bored with a roundy roundy layouts, shuntings fun but highly time consuming - To me the everlasting pleasure of modelling is making things, scenes, buildings, locos, even the layout, but once it's running it's time to move on.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Today I continued with the garden shed which was started and partially built at the MKMRS show on Saturday. I've added
microstrip on the door and given a first rough painting. Still need to add the window glazing.

Just a little more done to my garage, the up & over door can now sit in the open position so the cars can be moved in & out.
Time to begin some painting on this, the other show project.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”