Not a layout - but railway modelling

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Thunderbird

Re: Not a layout - but railway modelling

Postby Thunderbird » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Ah,,it's been a fair old while since my last confession...oops wrong place....

sorry, It's been a bit of a tough year for me and my layout has been comdemned to the loft for now.

they are both stunningly effective. being small they are easy to transport to the garden for that extra little bit of depth and realism. well done..

your micro layouts/ dioramas have re-kindled the fire..It's been something I've been toying with for a little while but never gotten around to actually putting into action, until today...design plans are being formulated, "stuff" is being rediscovered and soon there will be something to show..

Thanks guys for giving me that little bit of inspiration to take on something small enough not to be in the way, but still modelling railway..
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:27 pm

O.K thunderbird,

You've had 3 days now - so where are your posts on this 'new' micro ? we don't hang around y'know !!

Well at last I found my resin water and today added the stream, as this stuff will be tacky for 24 hrs I can't do any more until it's cured

Back in a couple of days !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:31 pm

hi Geoff

Love that water. The colour looks spot on. Have you tinted the resin or did it come like that?

Having read this thread over the last couple of days I've found that my 'layout is a diorama - but that will change when its plugged into a larger set up.

Keep posting, Mac

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm

Hello Geoff,
The Lay-out is looking really good. Love the water-feature, mate, which type of resin did you use? Take Care, speak to you later,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi dougalmac2 & Michael T,

The water is from 'Deluxe Materials' and if you need any real volume it'll become expensive. My pack is 50 ml from which they say you can get 38 sq inches to 2 mm deep. The resin is crystal clear although you can add oil soluble dyes or powder paint. I tried some green food colouring which must have been water based and even with thorough stirring had difficulty getting the Very small amount to mix in. Most of the colours are an assortment I painted on the board before adding the resin. You are supposed to be able to add some surface texture that will hold in after around 10 hours drying, this I may try as it sets very flat and mirror like, just not certain yet.
Diorama or Micro ? the jury is still out as my (very) old dictionary says a diorama is 1) a small representation of a scene with three-dimensional figures, viewed through a window; 2) a small-scale model or film set; The latter indicating a static 3D picture, but this has movement. I wouldn't worry too much about definitions though because they are all railway modelling !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:54 pm

I think that all model railways are dioramas, or a series of them connected or related serially. That is the trick, and there is no problem about representing a part of a bigger, unseen whole. But for me, the key is to be able to put them all together to represent a coherent and aesthetically pleasing whole in region or style or authentic period or however.
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:03 pm

The resin's now set, I suppose I lost around 1 mm of depth, but this was not enough to add another mix overlay.
I've found in the past that the capillary action pulls the resin up into grass scatter or reeds, I wonder if some loss of depth was resin creeping up between the Metcalfe tunnel liner and the MDF walls directly behind and supporting the card ?

Anyway now time to start adding the vegetation along the stream sides and soon to fix the hikers footbridge. I want to mix at least 2 colours of reeds and thicken out so until I've done that the footbridge has to stay propped in place. The wire fence end posts will be stuck to the ends of the footbridge hand rail.

It's at this time when it get's very slow as each layer has to be allowed to dry before moving on. So far I'm pleased with the results, it may seem crazy putting so much effort into a programming track, but this is all practice and experiment, a vital element in improving my scenic skills.

Geoff T.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Geoff this is looking very nice indeed. Think of the drop in water level as a result of this year's drought!

Forgive me if I've missed it but how did you make the reeds?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi Chris,

The reeds are from a Woodland Scenics product - quite expensive for what you get (from Hobbycraft). There are to my knowledge 3 colours, this straw colour, another very pale green to straw colour, and a purple to mauve ?????. They cost about £3.50 for a small pack and are about 3 x the length used here. I cut to my required length with either scissors or by rolling a curved blade scalpel over a small bunch.
You can probably make out how each bunch has been dunked into PVA and then planted - when dry another set will be placed covering the gaps between these, but using the more green colour.
Hope this helps.

Here you can see it used in even shorter lengths as tall grasses on one of my other small pieces.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Not much more done, but it's 'play time'

A little more reed, bridge stuck in place, end fence posts attached and out of sight more embankment dripping PVA !!
Phew that tractor needs some attention - grimy engine, muddy tyres and wheels, rusty exhaust. Think the cow should become brown ?
Play - what else can you do when so much is wet !! ........... suppose I could go and wash the car.

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Nice modelling again! is that the Wills cattle creep? Don't worry about the water, no one else notices and yes, my cow would generally be brown like a local variety and not Friesian and certainly not cloned in any model factory! There were Friesians / Holsteins but not the general breed until fairly modern times which they became because (post WW2) their milk yield is high compared with their general usefulness (meat). Before then many local breeds (and cheeses) depending on your locality.
Tractors, Fordson or Massey Ferguson I think.
rocketman
Last edited by rocketman on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Rocketman,

Well spotted, yes it is the Wills cattle creep/culvert, it was just a fluke that with the retaining wall added it almost exactly matched the random height of my embankment ! - lucky or what !!
The cow has had an undercoat, but the actual colour needs to be almost gingery which I'll probably have to try to mix up myself. This is what I call modelling.

While many on here proudly show off their latest heavy mainline loco's pulling a goodly rake of coaches I perversely enjoy the modelling even if there's not a train in sight, if there has to be a train, make it an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 !! Which reminds me, did you see my offering for you in the photo's of favourite loco thread ?

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:04 pm

I hadn't until now...but that is great!. I have one myself (and old one with proper handrails), in fact I have four different types and a fallen to bits wagon to make into a tender which I see that you already have. I think that the NB pugs had more of these than the Caley but that is only from photos I have seen. I shall look up some links and post them to you as you have done so very well!
regards
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am

Only a few 'touch-ups' to do now. This end had vegetation added yesterday afternoon and now all the fencing's fishing line wires have been tensioned.
Due to rain outside I've had to try photographing indoors.
So MDF bought 13th July, job more or less finished 12th August and out of that I spent a week away in Dorset.

Next up perhaps the new clubs layout ? although I must return to my "St.Oval" layout for more experiments ..................

I will add more photographs of this with different loco's when I can take outside for natural light and sky backgrounds.

Geoff T.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Dad-1 wrote:So MDF bought 13th July, job more or less finished 12th August and out of that I spent a week away in Dorset.

And you wasted loads of time sleeping :D

A nice little project although I am sure that a man of your calibre could improve the small trees.

Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”