Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stewart Gethin

Re: Old Warren TMD now under construction

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Lee wrote:Hi Chris,

I love this this work you have done, dont get ripping anymore track will you :lol: :lol: its a brilliant layout in the making.

Ps them Electricity pylons are just awsome :wink:

Lee

On the subject of electricity pylons, how tall are they? around 300mm?
Love those new container flats and what you've done with the old lima ones, look really affective.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks again all.

Stew - The pylons are 215mm tall.

Lee - I still have a bit more track ripping to do, infact the whole of the inner loop at the front is to be re-laid once the new points are purchased and in place. It'll be a fairly big job, but will be worth it in the end to improve the general running and alignment of the inner loop which is starting to suffer operational issues. At the same time all the track electrics will be soldered on to replace the Peco clips I'm currently using.

In the meantime I should get some more work done on the depot next week after I've visited Richard to pick up the remains of Old Oak. This week I'm concentrating on getting some redecorating done as funds for the layout have run out until next week.

Dave - I'm guessing you must be in the States. Yes we drive on the proper side over here! :lol:

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 am

Hi Chris,

Oh right i see that sounds a sensible move to do infact its something i did to some of my joints but not all of them, i left expansion room in some areas due to mine been in the shed and having high temperature in summer ive heard of storys were the tracks have lifted due to this reason, just be aware it can be an issue with some layouts :wink:

Cant wait for the progress of this layout :D

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:06 am

My layout is in the spare bedroom which we use as a study and hobby room so fortunately no temperature issues in there. The main problems are related to a couple of minitrix curved points and the diamond crossing going into the depot (another lesson learned early on - never buy second hand points!) which the 66 stalls on quite regularly. The minitrix points are also electrofrog - bought before I knew the difference between electro and insulfrog so these are being replaced with Peco Streamline points.

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:55 pm

absolutely brilliant. Loved reading this from the last hour or so.

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 pm

hi chris
loving the new pics and i love the trainspotter reminds me at lairadepot 10 year ago lol
and that poor old western what have you done to it lol
peter

Beep55

Postby Beep55 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:53 pm

This layout certainly captures an atmosphere and realism.

The work you have put in is amazing, even the road markings and having streetlights really adds depth along with working signals and loaded wagons. There is something going on, it looks busy around the railway as well as on it.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:21 pm

dagenham wrote:hi chris
loving the new pics and i love the trainspotter reminds me at lairadepot 10 year ago lol
and that poor old western what have you done to it lol
peter

I've secured it for preservation! The body was donated to me by Champion as it needed a bit of TLC which I've now given it, I just need a glazing set and a chassis to run it on.

Beep55 wrote:This layout certainly captures an atmosphere and realism.

The work you have put in is amazing, even the road markings and having streetlights really adds depth along with working signals and loaded wagons. There is something going on, it looks busy around the railway as well as on it.

Thanks! It is my intention in the future to make the streetlights and signals into fully working models now that I have been given a bit of guidance on wiring and soldering. The internet has proved invaluable for research and reference especially for the loads.

My charter rake has now grown in size. I now have a second mk1 FO again courtesy of Electra vinyls:-

And a couple of coaches bought from Olliereading arrived yesterday, being a Crimson FK and Chocolate Restaurant car:-

So here is the 8 coach full rake as it stands:-

And here’s the same photo after a session of Photoshopping to gather some ideas for backscenes. I quite like the idea of a valleys scenery backscene (backdrop photo taken by me in Wales):-

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:17 am

One thing about the valley backdrop is that to me it makes it look like the TMD is on top of a hill somewhere, and there would have to be a climb up to it or something. But this is just me.
Can't wait to see the western all fully running. You've done a good job on repairing the body so far.

Keep up the good work,

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

champion

Postby champion » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 am

I am sure that western will get all the attension it needs.Possibly the only way it will be fitted with chassis is to get a 2nd hand one.I as i no chris only wished i kepted one back from my collection as see they are going well on ebay.But as you no chris theres some goodies here for monday.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Chris

Really liking how the layout is developing so far, Deffinatley got to be one of my favourite layouts on here. Hope your having fun playing with my old coaches and on that note i'm loving the railtour rake :D

Ollie
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Chris,

Love the charter rake you have 8) top work, it really is taking shape now :P

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:48 pm

The Charter rake looks good Chris, you should put a Steam loco on the front (if you have a kettle that is) and the DRS 37 on the back, that would look interesting IMO :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Well the final arrival of 2010 arrived today (apart from the goodies from Champion I’m picking up Monday) in the shape of Dale the Noob’s Large Logo 37 37417 which is undergoing renumbering and detailing into 37425 Pride of the Valleys in its current form.

Here’s the loco as arrived:-

The first thing I did was to add a driver. As the loco is currently running on a Poole chassis there wasn’t room to fit a cab interior so the driver figure is simply glued to the roof and cab window, until I eventually obtain a China chassis to run it on.

The numbering and Highland Stags were then removed with the aid of some white spirit and a cotton bud

The headcodes were then painted black with the lights touched up using a black marker, and the grilles blackened with some thinned matt black.

Next job is the numbering. I have a set of Shawplan nameplates on order but need to source some TOPS numbering. Given that EWS applied incorrectly sized numbering I’m looking at getting a set of Fox’s BR Blue numbering with Scottish large numbers as these look about right for the numbering size. Has anyone used this numbering set and can advise the height of the numbers?

Ste it’s funny you mention a kettle hauling the charter as I have plans for such a loco and a 47 repainted in WCRC livery. I’m hoping Farish or Dapol will be bringing out a model of Tornado in the near future, otherwise I’m looking at possibly getting Farish’s Tangmere, or a Black 5 or Duchess. The plan for the DRS 37 is to double head it with another one or put 57011 on the rear.

Zebra

Postby Zebra » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:09 pm

What a fantastic layout.
I am thinking of a move to N scale myself and this layout and your work is huge inspiration for me to go for it.
Keep up the good work.

Steve.
Do you hear the voices too???

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”