Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
cmeonthemove

Re: Old Warren TMD now under construction

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:20 am

0121modeller wrote:
cmeonthemove wrote: photos I took in Wales....

First its google earths street level images, now its your trainspotting photo's of class 37's & 66's in Wales !..., c'mon Chris, whats the latest modelling progress on your layout ? :wink:

I’m quite enjoying the trainspotting so I’ll carry on with that for a bit longer!

guinnesskid wrote:Just read this thread from 1st to last. Very impressed. Only problem now is do I give up completely or gain inspiration. Keep an eye on e-bay just in case. lol

NEVER give up! Remember this is my first attempt at a full layout so this is just as much of a learning curve for me as it would be for anyone else. If this provides inspiration then all the better.

champion wrote:Happy to donate chris and you no some more goodies are being kept for you.I will always look out for latest updates to this layout even thou i am changing scale.Layouts as good as this are well worth it.Adam warr ( electra graphics ) has also seen my layout for real and has commented that the pics did,nt do it justice,he would say the same with this one although better pics have been taken.
richard.

Cheers Richard. Saw your post in my fuelling point thread about the oil tanks and thanks for that. I have now deleted fuelling points off my shopping list…

Stewart Gethin wrote:8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Think that sums this layout up^

Amazing mate.

Stew.

Cheers Stew!

lairadepot wrote:hi ya mate
loving the new pics
so whats going to be done on the layout next???
peter

My 2 main priorities at the moment are getting the loco shed finished and replacing a few of the points. The curved points where the loop runs off the mainline and the set of points on the passing loop leading to the 2 sidings are electro-frog, and as I’m running DC this is messing up the running of the inner loop when I have any locos in the depot area or in the passing loop, something I’ve only now found out now I have more than one working loco! I now know the difference between electro-frog and insul-frog but didn’t a few months ago when I first laid the track.

I’m then paying Richard a visit in a few weeks to pick up what’s left from his Old Oak layout – track, fuelling points and a few other bits so this will then contribute to the depot. I’m also getting a soldering iron next week so I can practise wiring up with a view to eventually fitting working lights and signals – inspiration supplied by Richard’s layout! I also have a couple of flashing LED kits to fit to my rolling stock.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Work has started on the points replacement programme - the loop has now been pulled up along with the sidings. The other two points will be removed when I have bought replacement points to go under the tunnels.

I've also had a stab at dulling down the ballast on the outer loop which is to remain untouched by the track replacement works. I got the idea after finishing up a box of tea bags and seeing all the tea leaves at the bottom of the box. This was poured into an empty paint jar and mix with water and a touch of matt white and black to thicken the mix and obtain a suitable shade. What do you think?

I've also done a few 'overall' shots of the layout as it currently stands.

I've also done a short video of the trains running. Just need to record some real trains to dub over the sound :P :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMJ8IPk03s

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:01 pm

with all the quality i have already seen on this layout i love the fact that that video still impressed me more

flashing beacon on the end of the train 8)

hope the engineering work goes well, i'd give that perminent way crew a flogging tho every time i see them they are melingering over the same piece of work lol,,,

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:24 am

Loved the video. As fratton said Flashing beacon on back of the train 8)

Keep up the good work mate.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

champion

Postby champion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:26 am

Chris
coming along nicely and is that my ex western body on jacks.Dont forget there are some more goodies here for you to collect.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:57 am

champion wrote:Chris
coming along nicely and is that my ex western body on jacks.Dont forget there are some more goodies here for you to collect.
richard.

Your eyesight obviously isn't that bad if you spotted that! That's the Champion body which I stripped down then applied several coats of Johnson's Kleer floor polish to bring out the maroon colour of the body. I then reattached the nameplates and gave the body a final coat of Kleer to seal them in. All it needs now is a chassis and some glazing. I'm still working on the Fusilier body which will now become Courier. The "jacks" are in fact a sanding block :!: until I get a proper set of loco lifts for the shed.

Nope I haven't forgotten about the bits you have saved. With these I can really get on with the depot as a whole. Is everything still ok for the 13th? I'll also be paying Adam a visit to pick up a few sets of vinyls for the repainted coach bodies I had off you.

The flashing light is one of the sets sold by Peter's Spares but with a replacement LED as the original one broke. Currently the wiring is only taped together to test the unit until I have got my soldering iron and a switch, so I can operate it without having to disconnect the batteries inside the coach.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 am

hi chris
you found out like i did that dcc and electrofrog points dont mix
and i see the work on your depot coming on just nicely
i just wish mine was coming on so well
hope your ok and hope to see progress from yours very soon
peter

champion

Postby champion » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:22 am

Yes
chris the 13th still ok with me and am hoping by then that i have seen all my n gauge gone but will see it live on either layouts like this or on ebay.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm

lairadepot wrote:hi chris
you found out like i did that dcc and electrofrog points dont mix
and i see the work on your depot coming on just nicely
i just wish mine was coming on so well
hope your ok and hope to see progress from yours very soon
peter

Yes indeed. Even after all the reading up I did back in June before starting out I still didn't find out about electrofrogs & insulfrogs! Your layout looks to be coming along nicely from what I've seen. It's not a 5 minute job and the main reason I've got so much done is becuase of being off work for 4 months. Progress is slowing though as funds are getting tight while I'm not working. Snetterton models had run out of the plasticard I need but should have a new delivery tomorrow so will be returning later in the week to get what I need so I can get on with the shed.

champion wrote:Yes
chris the 13th still ok with me and am hoping by then that i have seen all my n gauge gone but will see it live on either layouts like this or on ebay.
richard.

Sent a PM tonight.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:00 pm

hi ya mate
have you sorted out your dcc problem yet and how is that layout going??
peter

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:51 pm

My layout is DC not DCC this is what caused the issues with the electrofrog points. I've currently no plans to go DCC. I've not yet sourced replacement points so at the moment the inner loop is still running, but all sidings are currently disconnected. When I've got the replacement points I'll totally re-do the inner loop to align it better with the outer one, along with replacing the diamond crossing with a double slip. This is something I hope to get started on over Christmas.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:50 pm

Well no further progress with the loco shed as I've yet to find anywhere with the plasticard I need in stock so will have to get this online by the looks of things. It does have a (partial) resident though - D1015's body is there awaiting a chassis and glazing. This was one of Champion's maroon bodies which I have restored and refitted the D1015 nameplates.

I've now completed the first of the main depot storage sidings complete with weeds growing through the ballast. I also made a buffer-stop using a couple of sleeper off-cuts and pair of spare buffers. The other track in this pic was recycled from the passing loop and is not yet fixed down, as I have some more point-work to buy & install first.

Whilst at the local model railway shop I bought another pair of second hand Farish container flats which I've now converted to track panel carriers.

These replace the Lima flats which were constantly derailing and shorting out one of the points so these have been put into storage unserviceable, and have had some scrap parts added to the body for interest and to add to the overall "awaiting their fate" scene. I also added a dummy screw coupling and jumper cable to one end

I now have the first of the 1st class FO coaches on the charter rake, using a spare Farish mk1 coach body which was stripped and fitted with Electra vinyls. I have another set of these to apply to another coach body I am currently stripping, and a mk2a set which I need to source a donor coach for. Does anyone know if a mk1 FO interior is available?

I now have some fencing running along the front of the layout courtesy of a Ratio fencing set. I need to get a second set to complete the far end. I’ve also boosted the vegetation along the front with some coarse scatter.

The trainspotter decided to move up to the fence for a closer look at the passing trains now that it is safe to do so!

Finally I’ve got some more work done on the scenery around the country lane, with some more trees in place and hedging running along the road.

champion

Postby champion » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Top notch as usuall chris and excellant photos also have been taken.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common

dottney

Postby dottney » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:00 am

Marvelous, I'm glued to this thread getting all sorts of inspiration. One thing, aren't the cars on the wrong side of the road :?: :D :mrgreen: Seriously its great and I'm actually starting to figure out British prototypes. Can't wait to see more.
Dave

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Chris,

I love this this work you have done, dont get ripping anymore track will you :lol: :lol: its a brilliant layout in the making.

Ps them Electricity pylons are just awsome :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”