Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lairadepot

Re: Old Warren TMD now under construction

Postby lairadepot » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:34 pm

hi chris
loving the scratch built depot what ar you modeling it on or is it a thought up of from your own mind
how much does the plasticard cost andcan you get it for oo
and i like the class 37 fronts to
many thanks
laira dept

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:56 pm

lairadepot wrote:hi chris
loving the scratch built depot what ar you modeling it on or is it a thought up of from your own mind
how much does the plasticard cost andcan you get it for ooand i like the class 37 fronts to
many thanks
laira dept

Plasticard is like Card, but more plasticky, and stronger, you can get it in different thicknesses, I bought a A4 sized sheet for about £1.60 each but I daresay you can get for cheaper.

There is no scale for plasticard as it is just blank, but i think if you get embossed plasticard you can get some that is in 00(1/76) scale..
Hope this helps.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

champion

Postby champion » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:53 am

Plasticard is a must item.My class 50 fleet have been upgraded in using this to fill out the front ends and many a building can be scratchbuilt with this material it has many uses.Chris i await your visit and may be you can show me how you made your road signs.I am at the moment putting my feet into 00 gauge as a future project but will depending on the outcome be keeping the n gauge layout.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:02 am

Right - a lot to cover in this post so here goes...:-

Firstly as you're all so impatient to see the 37 finished :lol: here's an updated pic with all the details added except the decals. I got the roof and hatches painted yesterday. In the end I chose to spray them gloss black and will lighten them with some weathering later. The super-detailing is complete as well with a TPM screw coupling, scratch-built plasticard snowploughs, bufferbeam cables made from fuse wire and the roof lights made from square plastic rod cut at a slighty angle to match the prototype.

Yes I agree the 37 looked really good as it arrived, and it actually took me a little while to build up the courage to take it apart – but I bought it for one reason and so I had to stick to my guns!

Stew, yes the coaches are Network Rail test train units. The livery was applied using vinyls from Amsies Models and Electra Railway Graphics after the original paintwork was stripped off.

The loco shed is large enough to hold eight class 66s – two per lane with some space in between the locos for lifting and working around. It is (very) loosely based on the loco sheds at Norwich Crown Point depot as these are styled similarly to general industrial units.

The plasticard is made by Evergreen. As Richard says the plain plasticard isn’t sized by gauge it simply comes in sheets of 300/150mm and various thicknesses. The card used for the buildings is 1mm (.040”) thick but it also comes in thicknesses of 0.5mm (.020”) and 0.25mm (.010”) which I use for small details like the 37’s snowploughs. The numbers in brackets refer to thousands of an inch.

The grooved plasticard is all 1mm thick but comes with various spacing. If you look at my industrial units the plasticard I used for the roof is Evergreen 4543 Board & Batten which has 2.5mm (.100”) spacing, and 4527 Metal Siding for the grooved upper side cladding which has 1.5mm (.060”) spacing. You can get this plasticard with various spacings so for 00 you would want 5mm spacing for the roof and 3mm for the side cladding, although I don’t know the product codes for these. I worked out the spacing I would need by taking scaled photos of industrial buildings and measuring them up against the plasticard they had in the shop.

Richard I’d be more than happy to show you how to make road-signs but here’s a quick guide.

The signs can all be found here:-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/trafficsignsimage ... tegory.php

Go into each category that you want and all the road signs have images. Right click on the one you want, then click Copy, go into MS Word and go to the Edit menu, then Paste Special: in the window click “Device Independent Bitmap” then OK and the image appears as an object on your page. Right click on it and then click Format Picture. In the window click on the Size tab and resize the largest side to 0.7cm for triangular signs, or 0.5cm for circular signs and those small rectangular text signs e.g. “for 100 yds”. Word will automatically resize the other side to keep the shape. The click OK. When you have all your signs ready, print them on glossy photo paper at maximum quality then cut them out.

The poles are made using 1/16” rod (Evergreen StripStyrene Code 222) cut to lengths of approximately 2cm for standard height signs. Apply a small dab of superglue to the top of the pole and fix your sign. This can be fiddly so I use a shirt pin to apply the sign – lightly stab the sign with the pin to lift it then gently place it on the pole for a couple of seconds then the pin should come away leaving the sign in place. Paint the pole and the back of the sign light grey – job done.

champion

Postby champion » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 am

Chris thanks for all that info on roadsigns,only one thing i hav,nt got damm printer.Ah well.
regards.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:38 am

Well if you want any signs done let me know and I'll bring them over when I visit.

champion

Postby champion » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:57 am

Chris
have your pm and many thanks.Signs such as paddington 3 miles/acton 1 mile as the same as exeter 1/newton abbot 20/paington 30 if you get my drift.I have some written out as the likes of tmd laira and tmd old oak common and will maybe use these.That 37 is coming along great by the way.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey there Chris, That 37 really looks the part now! But....(yes there is always a but..) are you going to unweather the chassis? :P

I just don't believe how you can do this in N gauge :P I struggle with 00. :)

Stew.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:Hey there Chris, That 37 really looks the part now! But....(yes there is always a but..) are you going to unweather the chassis? :P

I just don't believe how you can do this in N gauge :P I struggle with 00. :)

Stew.

No, instead when the loco is finished I'll be weathering it slightly. I have blackened the bogies a bit though as they were a little over-done before.

It turns out I was a little premature with my earlier post as within an hour of posting it the postman arrived with the decals! So here is the 37 again with the livery complete. Just needs the cantrails (which I've started) and warning flashes (which I need to buy).

Has anyone used the Ian Stoate dummy 37 chassis? If so which version of the 37 body fits it?

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Chris,

That 37 really looks the part, love the first shot of her 8) top marks on the conversion definitely worth doing :D

Keep up the good work

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Cool cool 8) 8) ;) really think that the conversion was worth it, specially the loco was only £20. Looks really nice now :P

Can't wait to see it finished.

Stew.

auricom

Postby auricom » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:55 am

Stewart Gethin wrote:
auricom wrote:Some fantastic pics there Chris, looks like itll be a brilliant layout, my favourite bit is the giant mug :wink: stroke of genius that, having something that unique in a layout :D In all seriousness though, cant wait to see it when its finished. :)

A layout can never be finished :) There is that little detail always to add, or that little bit of imagination you want to add, or an extension :) [or funds run out]

Great work Chris, you and Eldavo I'd say are top modellers in N gauge on this forum,

Keep up the good work mate.

Very true, very true, but you know what I mean :)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

MrT

Postby MrT » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 am

Excellent work on the 37, Chris.

cmeonthemove wrote:Has anyone used the Ian Stoate dummy 37 chassis? If so which version of the 37 body fits it?

I've used several Stoate chassis' but not the 37 one. However, it was out long before the new 37 (which you have used for the DRS one) and I have seen some locos on eBay with the chassis - the body you would need would be either a Poole one or a Bachmann 'old' one (not the newly updated 37).

HTH

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:53 am

I agree, the dummy chassis should fit under a Poole or early Bachfar body
I very much doubt it will fit under the latest DCC Bachfar body

I was considering this, as I plan to operate several pairs of Class 37s and 20s
However, I have now decided against this, for the Class 37s, allowing the locos to be joined /split as required and used as required

I would only consider it for the Class 47 so that the "dead in tow" loco really is, to prevent snatching with a powered loco at the rear
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks MrT. Glad I asked as I intend to run a matching pair of 37s - namely the new variant. I discovered the China/Poole were different when I mentioned the decals being a couple of mm too short to Steve @ Lancaster models. Apparently they were designed for the Poole body but the difference isn't too noticeable.

I think I'll go with Marcus's idea and have two running 37s, putting the quicker one at the lead to prevent derailments from the rear pushing. I intend to run some charter trains on the layout and double-headed nukes so I want to match the 37s to one body design.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”