Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: Old Warren TMD now under construction

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Chris, the Hino truck looks impressive (although I have a liking for the Foden Alpha , but sadly its not available in N or 00) , but, i must say a great conversion achievement you've done especially in N gauge. :D .

The ballasting looks spot on too, & the trainspotter with tri-pod.., great idea! all very inspirational & top modelling.
Keep those inspirations coming, always looking forward to updates.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:43 am

lairadepot wrote:hi ya
just wanted to say that you have a nice layout and wanted to say hi
and i was wondering what gauge are you doing as in one pic it looks n gauge and in another it looks like oo gauge
if it is n gauge is it as easy to model as oo as i have done oo gauge for as long as i can remember???
and what are your plans for the future of the layout????
many thanks
laira depot

Hi! Thanks for your comments. The layout is in N gauge. I don't know if it's as easy as 00 as my 00 project never got off the ground, however there is now almost as much available in N as 00, apart from modern vehicles which are still a bit thin on the ground. I haven't found detailing the locos and rolling stock any more difficult in N - it's just as fiddly in 00! In some ways N is easier as you don't need to go into the same level of detail, although the option is there with the likes of Taylor Precision Models and BH Enterprises.

As for future plans, well I still have most of the depot to build. My plans are to scratchbuild a 4-lane loco shed in similar fashion to my industrial units. There will then be a 2-lane refuelling point using a Knightwing refuelling kit, a further lane with a Farish washing plant, then a few storage sidings. I still have quite a bit of landscaping and scenic work to do, particularly the hundreds of trees I need to get (another 45 are on their way to me this week) and I want to add lots more vehicles, not to mention several more locos and rolling stock. This layout still has a few years of development to go!

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:46 am

0121modeller wrote:Hi Chris, the Hino truck looks impressive (although I have a liking for the Foden Alpha , but sadly its not available in N or 00) , but, i must say a great conversion achievement you've done especially in N gauge. :D .

The ballasting looks spot on too, & the trainspotter with tri-pod.., great idea! all very inspirational & top modelling.
Keep those inspirations coming, always looking forward to updates.

Dave.

Cheers Dave! Thinking about it I don't think doing a Foden Alpha would be too difficult with a little bit of remedial work on the cab. In this scale the level of detail isn't quite so critical. The one truck I would like to get on here is the DAF XF as this is my personal fave. I think an order may well be off to Herpa in the New Year for one of these.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:21 am

hi
thanks for answering the question i look forward to seeing the progress of the layout
and thanks for the info on n gauge i am looking to do a n gauage layout in the future
laira depot

champion

Postby champion » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:08 am

Yes and another fine detailed layout going on here.
Have you still plans for a class 52 chris.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 am

Cheers Richard. Yes I still plan to run a 52 eventually.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:01 pm

hi chris
how are things going on the layout
and wanted to know is your layout a home layout or are you taking it on the exhibition circuit??
laira depot

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 pm

lairadepot wrote:hi chris
how are things going on the layout
and wanted to know is your layout a home layout or are you taking it on the exhibition circuit??
laira depot

Hi. I've started work on the loco shed and will post some pics at the weekend when I've got a bit more done. Just waiting for the trees to arrive that I bought on Monday and I've won another load today. I also have a 37 on its way to me this week which will undergo the DRS conversion.

The layout is a home layout, mainly as its on one board which won't fit in the car (at least I don't think it would) although I haven't ruled out exhibiting it at the local model railway exhibition in a couple of years time, although I would have to tweak it to add a dedicated fiddle yard.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 pm

hi chris
sounds good what your doing cant wait to see it
keep up the good work
im off now i the loft do some work on my layout
take care
laira depot

auricom

Postby auricom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Some fantastic pics there Chris, looks like itll be a brilliant layout, my favourite bit is the giant mug :wink: stroke of genius that, having something that unique in a layout :D In all seriousness though, cant wait to see it when its finished. :)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:08 am

auricom wrote:Some fantastic pics there Chris, looks like itll be a brilliant layout, my favourite bit is the giant mug :wink: stroke of genius that, having something that unique in a layout :D In all seriousness though, cant wait to see it when its finished. :)

A layout can never be finished :) There is that little detail always to add, or that little bit of imagination you want to add, or an extension :) [or funds run out]

Great work Chris, you and Eldavo I'd say are top modellers in N gauge on this forum,

Keep up the good work mate.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 am

auricom wrote:Some fantastic pics there Chris, looks like itll be a brilliant layout, my favourite bit is the giant mug :wink: stroke of genius that, having something that unique in a layout :D In all seriousness though, cant wait to see it when its finished. :)

Ah the good ole ballast tub! This is our version of The Angel of the North – the Tub of the East! Yes I noticed after uploading the photos I forgot to remove this after ballasting the sidings…

Stewart Gethin wrote:A layout can never be finished :) There is that little detail always to add, or that little bit of imagination you want to add, or an extension :) [or funds run out]

Great work Chris, you and Eldavo I'd say are top modellers in N gauge on this forum,

Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers Stew. Funds running out aren’t enough to stop me either – I just scratchbuild things instead of buying them!

…Talking of which, here is a photo of the loco shed under construction. The main structure is done – now awaiting the roof but need to get some more board’n’batten plasticard to do that. The beams were added partly for strength, but also to support the various sections of the roof, as the shed is longer than the plasticard sheets. The shed measures 170mm wide by 330mm long.

I’ve also concreted around the sidings to raise the ground to the level of the rail tops, ready for the shed. This was done using tile grout with the strips on top of the sleepers done using card. Humbrol 126 grey was used for the concrete with a thin wash of matt black between the rails to represent oil from broken locos and careless oil changes.

I received my main batch of trees this week – 45 in total so have started planting these. The housing estate now has a bit of relief from the road & depot noise.

A bit of car modification now. I had two old style Porsche 911s which I remodelled into the new 911 GT3 by adding body-kits and re-profiling the bumpers and lights. While I was at it I also updated a Wiking mk1 VW Golf to make a chavved-up Mk2 Golf GTI to go in the car park by the car-parts supplier.

I FINALLY have a Class 37 – kindly offered to me by Lee aka n200 at a good price. It’s a superb runner and makes my 66 seem very noisy! The 37 is also a very smooth runner at low speeds. Here it is as it arrived:-

After giving it a good run I started work on the DRS conversion. As I had some spare TPM Wipac light clusters I decided to do the nose conversion myself. After dismantling the body and removing the lighting units I started with the buffer-beams, carefully re-profiling these to the cut-away versions featured on the DRS 37/0s but retaining the buffer-mounts.

I then sanded off the tail-light mouldings and jumper cable mounts as these do not feature on the DRS units. The Wipac clusters were then glued to a small piece of thin plasticard which was then cut out & filed to shape. I then fitted the clusters to the noses using tiny blobs of superglued blu-tack to fill the gaps, and shaped with a shirt-pin. Finally I added new multiple cable plugs with round rod mounted in square recesses cut out using the pointed sander on my mini-drill. New oval buffers were made from thin plasticard, although I will probably replace these with BHE metal buffers eventually.

The noses were then primed and given 3 light coats of yellow from a spray-can, then the buffer-beam was picked out in red and the buffers, light clusters and hook in black, and the multiple working plugs orange. The lights were picked out in silver and clear red, but I plan to drill these out and re-work the lighting units to light through these.

In between this I also repainted the body blue after rubbing off the logos and removing the glazing. Once the blue has hardened over the weekend I will mask off the roof and nose top access hatches to spray these dark grey before adding decals from Steve @ Lancaster City Models. The finished loco is going to be numbered 37218.

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 am

Gosh, thats quick work matey! Great to see the 37 having a new lease of life :D
Your layout looks fantastic, I particularly like your buildings and scenic work. It has a nice, spacious lifelike feel to it.

All the best,

Lee
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_blue/

champion

Postby champion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Smashing quick work there chris and look forward to the finish result on that 37.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Smashing work once again here Chris.

I thought the shed looked massive! but its only 330mm long! :O thats shorter than my average siding :P

Also, I liked the 37 how it came from n2oo, nice and dirty, but can't wait to see it finished! looks a bit out of place without the windows :)
I really like the Network rail coaches behind the 37 aswell. (I presume they are what I think they are.)

Thanks, Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”