Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
tractor37

Re: Old Warren TMD - Interim future is now secured

Postby tractor37 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Hmmm, Guinness livery. You know that is so tempting!!! You sound like you'd like to do that Chris... :D

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I'd do one for myself if it fit my era...!

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Seeing as there is no precedent for a Guinness liveried loco I don't think there is an era thats right or wrong seeing as the drink is exceptionally old....! :D

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:58 am

Very true - hmmm that's one more 37 added to the list...

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:51 pm

You know Chris, I am seriously considering it now. Would make quite an unusual addition wouldn't it? Think may have to get the decal paper out later and test a few print offs.. Will let you know on this one... :D

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 pm

A seriously good idea.

Every layout should have it's own "signature"; a unique characteristic, something slightly silly, to add to the fun of the thing and make the layout even more memorable. Fictitious liveries do that, of course (i've got plans of my own), and a Guinness 37 would take that up another notch too. :-)
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Well on that basis mine could be the large logo Class 60, but I have a few other ideas I hope to try some-time...

In the meantime, a couple of further additions to the WCRC charter. Two SOs arrived from Hattons this morning. 10/10 to Hattons as I only ordered them yesterday and the lovely Dan Dan Ye did a great job of packing them up. Top marks to her too.

All that's required are the soon to be released RMB and some FOs, plus of course the numbering decals which will be ordered from Precision Decals when I have decided on the coach numbers.

Meanwhile - commission work continues. Here's trainload grey 31294 awaiting weathering and lacquer, but otherwise done. I then have another two 31s to complete with coal sector decals plus numbering, cantrails & detailing. Sadly no chassis to pose these on...

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Another quick update this evening as I finally have the backscenes in place, using an International Models set. I've still got to print off a backscene for the motorway and one for the housing estate, then the back of the layout will be tree-lined to blend it all in. I'm also thinking of adding some distant light by adding fibre optics to light up the area where the distant town is situated, emulating the light pollution often seen from a distant town on a clear night.

champion

Postby champion » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Smashing updates chris and love the backscenes,just like ones i am after.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Excellent back scenes Chris, they blend really well your scenery.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 pm

That makes a hell of a difference to the overall effect. Looks really good. Been looking at them myself but not convinced any are quite right for what I need. Think I'll be settling for a collage...

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:18 am

Yes, those backscenes are perfect, anyone not being aware of this layout or the building of it could be forgiven for mistaking those last 3 photos for real life photo's.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 pm

Wow Chris those back scenes have really transformed Old Warren. It's given the layout so much more depth in those pictures, and they seem to blend so well at the physical edges of the scenery. I never could be bothered with mine thinking that a sky blue would suffice as I didn't want to draw the viewers attention away from the actual model but looking at these pictures I can see that it wouldn't do that but actually improve the overall appearance massively. The only draw-back is noticeable shade on the back-scene (but then I suffer this too), yet I can't really see a way around this without a dedicated lighting rig above the layout. When I have time I shall have to look into back-scenes for The Bridge too! :D

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

Stu, yes the shadows are a bit of an issue. Not helped by the fact the bulb in the ceiling light is now a spotlight type, now the normal incandescent bulbs have been banned :evil: I hate the energy saving ones. Thankfully it's only the pylons that cause the shadows and hopefully these will be less obvious once some more trees are in place.

Developments on Old Warren have been minimal recently due to working full time and most evenings spent on the timber wagons I'm building on commission. Here are the first two finished and ready for paint. A third is nearly finished, leaving only 17 to go! I'm really pleased with the way these have come out so have sourced a collection of old Farish mk1s to cannibalise for chassis and bogies to make my own rake to be hauled by Colas 66841. These will be built after the commission job is complete.

Additionally I have taken delivery of a DRS 57011, which comprises a cheaply sought 47 chassis and donated 57011 body. This will be repainted into 47580 "County of Essex" (and exhausts modified) for my WCRC charter - 57011 being chosen for the lighting set-up. D1015 will eventually gain its own choc&cream mk1 rake but until then will share railtour duties with 47580 and 57601.

I have also planted another pack of trees, this time along the back of the layout and with a set of light green trees, again Woodland Scenic items. More will be added along here and around the rest of the layout in various stages.

Also recently completed was a commissioned pair of coal sector 31 body repaints, as 31324 and 31270.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Chris, I know it wasn't much but its still good to see more shots of Old Warren. Where did you get the backsenes from by the way? I've had a brief look around and so far haven't found anything particularly inspiring. I liked the look of the gaugemaster scenes, but annoyingly the are not compatible either end and wouldn't be long enough for the combined edge of the Y&CR.

As for lighting I know what you mean about the energy savers. We have recently replaced the bulbs in the kitchen. The original energy saves used to take about five minutes to get to full brightness so they were binned and replaced with industrial LED bulbs. While not cheap at about £10 a bulb, the light is instant and oh my word are they bright! Trouble is you need quite a few of them as they act a bit like spot lights too. You can't quite get anything quite the same as an incandescent it seems...

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”