Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
champion

Re: Old Warren TMD - it's repaints galore!

Postby champion » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Top draw stuff chris and always good to see this layout in all its glory.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks as always for all the comments.

Stu - it's all above board really, they're agreeing a photography session - something to do with a business promotion or something?

Ollie - I'd like a couple more 66s on the depot, but would also like some 67s. I have 2 dummies on the Xmas list and would also like a powered one to top & tail the Blue Charters. Another 60 might have to join the fleet, and I also have some spare EWS decals so would like to do 37401 with a new-tooling 37.

Work on the loco shed continues apace. The beams are now all in place complete with roof mounted crane for engine removals. Since the photos were taken the beams have been painted. The next job is to install the lighting and wire it up.

413x

Postby 413x » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Chris instead of getting new loco's you should be getting yourself a modern dmu

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Stunning Layout Chris :D Keep up the good work

All the best,
Mark
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks again all.

Another stock swap has now taken place. The PCA cements have been swapped for a rake of 16 intermodals with a few containers thrown in. I swapped the lighting unit and chassis from the Colas 66 into my dummy 66250, which now runs with the intermodals. I decided to sell the PCAs when my Freightliner 66 failed and was sold off. The Colas 66 will gain a replacement powered chassis when I start collecting the Ian Stoate steel canvas wagon kits next year.

Here are the intermodals as arrived:

And after weathering.

I also did this video with dubbed sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF460INHg5o

You will also have noticed the rather brightly coloured DMU. This Dapol 156 is a dummy unit which I was given as a thank you for doing a chassis/body swap for a friend who wanted a working Regional Railways 156, which he had as a dummy. He also gave me a couple of old-tooling Farish mk1s which are destined to become barrier coaches and will be used to make up a DMU transfer rake with the 156 being moved.

I am currently awaiting 30 3mm LEDs to light the loco shed. The SMD LEDs turned out to be incompatible with lead-free solder!

413x

Postby 413x » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:13 pm

looking good there mate

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:25 pm

All looking top drawer there as usual Chris. Depot building will really look the mutts when its lit up properly. Nice swap on the intermodals. I always like them on a layout...
Keep up the good work pal.
Jas.... :D

cmeonthemove

Re: Old Warren TMD - Future is now uncertain.

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Thought it was about time for an update. First some bad news that the missus lost her job on Monday so at the moment we’re unsure as to how long we can keep the house given my current financial situation after being off work for so long. Should we have to sell up then the layout will also have to go, which would happen some time in the next 6 months. Hopefully it will not come to this and work will continue in the mean time.

First of all, the Rail Blue charter project has been abandoned and the coaches sold off. The mk3s and mk2s were swapped for a pair of Class 60s, both in BR blue and in need of bodywork repairs, plus 3 pullman coaches for my WCRC rake, these being Hadrians Bar which will be untouched, and 2 second parlours which are to undergo repainting into WCRC maroon.

One of the class 60s only required a small repair so this was undertaken, then decals added to complete the large logo livery, numbered 60201. This now just requires a coat of Klear to seal the decals, followed by weathering. The other requires more extensive repairs and might well receive a replacement body. In any event this will be repainted into DBS red 60011. Here is a photo showing the before & after:-

And 60201 after completion of the livery:

I was also donated a pair of Dapol class 156 couplings which are now fitted to my OCA wagons to become barrier wagons to haul the dummy 156 I now have. The couplings were originally planned for a pair of mk1 coaches, however this was not possible due to the ride height of the coaches and lack of room around the bogies to fit the couplings.

These are the Pullmans before the repaint:-

Work continues on the loco shed. There are only 6 lights to be added now, then the wiring will need tidying up before the feed wires are wired into the controller via a switch.

Another donation in the form of Dapol Freightliner 66566. This is currently a dummy loco, being on a chassis with the motor, gears and pickups removed due to a motor failure, and is destined for a replacement working chassis to haul the intermodals.

Finally for now, I obtained some 0.5mm elastic cord which turned out to be perfect for the wires to go on my pylons. The pylons have had to be moved as the wires originally clashed with the depot tower lights, so the deviation pylon now sits on the back hill having been glued down, and the straight pylons are placed on the outer edges, but are not stuck down to make removing them easier to access the scenery modules in the event of derailments.

So far the wires have been done in one direction, but need doing in the other.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:46 am

Sorry to hear about your wifes job pal. Lets hope she can find alternative employment quickly. I'm sure I speak for most on here when I say fingers crossed on the house front for you. Lets hope things don't become that bad the house becomes an issue. First things first tell the mortgage lender what is going on, they often are prepared to help resolve issues.
On a lighter note all looking good again. Always impressed with your repaints and attention to detail. Long live Old Warren TMD!!
Jas... :D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:20 am

Hi Chris,

Sign of the times, I hope the two of you get something fixed up without having to sell up.
I'm always so impressed with what you do in this fiddly 'N' - I can hardly get a 4 mm loco
on the tracks, let alone create scenes that come over so true to life !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

MrH

Postby MrH » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:32 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses mad numbers of lights in buildings.

Hope Jobs sort themselves out.

H
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry to hear that your wife has lost her job Chris. I hope you are both able to find employment in the near future & your home isn't jeopardised. I understand how hard it is being unemployed, having been made redundant in 2008 & health issues too. My partner, though was recently offered a job at the local hospital & she's waiting for a start date - hopefully start Dec. Which will make life alot easier. So there's always hope, its just a case of plugging away until something comes up matey.

Back to your magnificent layout. The lighting really brings the loco shed to life & gives the layout such a sense of atmosphere. With most layouts (including mine) the eye is usually restricted to a few inches above ground level. But the height of the almost forboding looking pylons, takes the eye & the world of your layout to another level.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi Chris, I can only really echo others comments, I hope your Wife finds another job soon, it is quite tough out there!

By the way the lights in the depot look brilliant, very jealous!
Cheers,
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

swinden dalesman

Postby swinden dalesman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Excellent layout you have here :D

I've just gone right through this thread & seen the layout develop. I don't know why but it reminds me of Healey Mills it looks very good & shows what can be done in a small space. I have a small collection of modern n gauge & seeing this makes me want to do something with it rather than the steam layout i had planned. Maybe i will knock up a board at some point before christmas & see what i can come up with. Excellent work though keep it up the details are great & i really like the wrong lane running on the motorway not something i have seen modeled before.

Simon

champion

Postby champion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 am

Chris.
You no my thoughts are with you on your recent run of bad luck and send back all the advice and comments you gave me over my trouble times which as you no i am not out of the woods yet.
What ever you do you have my 100% backing and can only hope the old warren carrys on and you find some light at the end of the tunnel.
Best wishes to you and claire.
regards.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”