Loftfordshire dead?

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
EWIYmike

Loftfordshire dead?

Postby EWIYmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Harro!

yeh so my previous layout died, due to some poor choices in track (hornby set track)
really not sure why i chose to use that, i guess it was a combination of "feeling like i wouldnt have the skills to put flexi-track together," not really knowing how to go about doing that anddd a bit of lazyness
so with the rigid curves and tiny tiny points, except i decided to start buying new hornby locos which were constantly derailing on the curves and points, ive acctually read quite alot about people having this problem

ALSO, i didnt really plan scenery, or how i would build it or anything really, so that started to look random and out of place, also my ballasting which at first i thought was good and looked pretty good, i now think was pretty awful

so now for the redesigning of it all, i was going to attempt to build a new layout in P4, for the more accurate and realistic looking track, but then i thought do i really want to have to buy new wheels and chassis for everything? also the people who make the wheels seem to still live in the stone age, a website with no pictures and the only method of purchase was via mail order (something so old i dont even know how it would work)
so that really put me off P4

Track

However, I was going to buy the track from C&L, again thers no pictures but at least you can buy from the website (i tested this out by buying a section of P4 track) which led to the next problem, points...
these would have to be hand built, which apparently allows for much better running anyway, and despite the fact that people generally seem to make out that its reaaallly hard to make these points, i still wanted to have a go
the problem here was i had no way of creating a plan with these points in... i could not find anywhere that has the dimentions for the A5/B6 points or w/e so i could not put these into xtrkcad or anything
the ideal way round this would have been for me to use templot, however i didnt really fancy paying the £46 for it and to just it only a few times
so i was abit mehhhh about it all, as i did want track that at least looked good and not like it came from a toyshop

AND THEN! when i was removing the last bits of ballast from my layoutboards i noticed that the track from my "disused siding" (all though allready completly ruined) was made by peco, and also looked considerably better than hornbys offerings (it had chairs and everything!!! hah such a lame observation but it began to really annoy me that my layout didnt have them)
so yeh i have now decided to use pecos code 75 track and points! (with some of my current track to save money and so that it doesnt go to waste as its still new and in mint condition pretty much)

SO here is my new track plan + a basic plan for the scenery (done in paint lol) hopefully it should be pretty obvious whats what in it but if you're confused just ask
My main question here thoughh is Does this new plan look good? is it logical? are there any key points a railway has that I have missed?
so if you spot anything please tell me so i make the suitable modifications!

Last edited by EWIYmike on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:06 am, edited 7 times in total.
MADE A NEW ACCOUNT BECAUSE HATED THE NAME OF THIS ONE D=

its now "Mikespace"

35011 GSN

Re: Loftfordshire

Postby 35011 GSN » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeh the plan looks good, but as they say - its your railway, do what you like :)

so you given up on P4?

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:31 pm

35011 GSN wrote:Yeh the plan looks good, but as they say - its your railway, do what you like :)

so you given up on P4?

haha yehhh truee but i want it to look "real" so jst want to check with people who almost certainly know more about this to make sure i havnt missed anything obvious/critical

and as for P4, for now yes but im only 21 so im almost certainly going to build more layouts in the future

also it looks like you have some sort of fringe in your picture ¬_¬, which would mean im not the only person on here with a "haircut"

its now "Mikespace"

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 pm

This latest Idea seems a lot better than the 'dead' one!

Peco stuff is usually better than Hornby's offering (although I've never used any peco)

I look forward to seeing your updates.

Ben

EWIYmike wrote:also it looks like you have some sort of fringe in your picture ¬_¬, which would mean im not the only person on here with a "haircut"

haha lol I noticed that too :P long lost brothers?? :lol:
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:54 pm

EWIYmike wrote:
35011 GSN wrote:Yeh the plan looks good, but as they say - its your railway, do what you like :)

so you given up on P4?

haha yehhh truee but i want it to look "real" so jst want to check with people who almost certainly know more about this to make sure i havnt missed anything obvious/critical

and as for P4, for now yes but im only 21 so im almost certainly going to build more layouts in the future

also it looks like you have some sort of fringe in your picture ¬_¬, which would mean im not the only person on here with a "haircut"

well yeah it does look real :) can't wait for more :)

yes i do have a 'haircut' lol

EWIYmike wrote:also it looks like you have some sort of fringe in your picture ¬_¬, which would mean im not the only person on here with a "haircut"

haha lol I noticed that too :P long lost brothers?? :lol:[/quote]

can I swap you for my actual brother if thats the case? :P I'm sure no one would notice

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:09 pm

trainsandco wrote:This latest Idea seems a lot better than the 'dead' one!

Peco stuff is usually better than Hornby's offering (although I've never used any peco)

I look forward to seeing your updates.

Ben

haha cheers =] and im bored so if you want to see any pics of anything atm ill take them and post them now haha

35011 GSN wrote:

can I swap you for my actual brother if thats the case? :P I'm sure no one would notice

is it a fringe haircut though? and only if you give my your britannia ¬_¬ you have the one i wanted as well

its now "Mikespace"

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm

but i want it to look "real"

It depends on how far you want to go ...

Best thing to do is look at 'real' track plans of stations and yards, and if you want to go further, look at those plans within a given timeframe (and run stock accordingly). You could extend your 'looking real' to including proper signalling, period vehicles, a timetabled service, a particular time of year for scenic consistency (for eg. some people model precisely July 12th 1910)

These are just examples for the sake of illustration - obviously it's up to you how far you go with making it 'look real' :) At the end of the day it's also about 'happy modelling' :)

I'm not very good at judging track plans in terms of functionality - but I do think your plan looks good visually.

As for 'haircuts of the long lost brothers' - more like bad wigs that got turned sideways in some drunken misadventure :shock: (just joking !! ha ha )

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Absolutly agree with the above, Alot of making it look real can come down to rolling stock, locos, and mostly scenery, Ive been recently updating mine on my layout, buying new trees to replace the seafoam ones which were getting bent and broken which have now been moved to the back of the layout.
Alos something which will help and simple to do get some backscenes it can enhance a layout no end and give the layout depth and increases realisum.

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:
Best thing to do is look at 'real' track plans of stations and yards, and if you want to go further, look at those plans within a given timeframe (and run stock accordingly). You could extend your 'looking real' to including proper signalling, period vehicles, a timetabled service, a particular time of year for scenic consistency (for eg. some people model precisely July 12th 1910)

These are just examples for the sake of illustration - obviously it's up to you how far you go with making it 'look real' :) At the end of the day it's also about 'happy modelling' :)

I'm not very good at judging track plans in terms of functionality - but I do think your plan looks good visually.

yehhh i was going to do that only i dont know where to start looking :?
my intended era of modeling is BR(late) so like 1960 ish
the location wouldnt matter too much atm because the current BR locos i have would be found everywhere (black 5s and BR standards) allthough i do want some GWR and LNER locos but i dont think theres anywhere where those two would have ever met

but yeh as long as it looks good then, funny you should say that because when i was designed this i took inspiration from the current frankland :shock:

As for 'haircuts of the long lost brothers' - more like bad wigs that got turned sideways in some drunken misadventure :shock: (just joking !! ha ha )

orly ¬_¬ ill turn your wig sideways

mattmay05 wrote:Absolutly agree with the above, Alot of making it look real can come down to rolling stock, locos, and mostly scenery, Ive been recently updating mine on my layout, buying new trees to replace the seafoam ones which were getting bent and broken which have now been moved to the back of the layout.
Alos something which will help and simple to do get some backscenes it can enhance a layout no end and give the layout depth and increases realisum.

yeh true, after seeing how realistic some of the finescale track looked compared to the toy like hornby set track i have, its jst really annoyed me (bit silly really but mehhhhh)
as for scenery wise i never really got round to tackling that on my last layout but i thought i was doing a pretty good job of it

and i intend to put boards up for the backscenes in the first stages of building this layout so they are a deffinate, the only question with them is whether they would look better if they were painted or if i used photographs to create them

its now "Mikespace"

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 pm

EWIYmike wrote:

so you given up on P4?

21 :shock: you look about 16, i bet you need id when you buy alcohol or visit a pub :D
Sorry to hear your old layout died, but if you are not happy with it it is the only way to go.Just sold my N layout as it just did not float my boat :lol:
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:22 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:21 :shock: you look about 16, i bet you need id when you buy alcohol or visit a pub :D
Sorry to hear your old layout died, but if you are not happy with it it is the only way to go.Just sold my N layout as it just did not float my boat :lol:
Ian

haha yeh, i like to refer to it as eternal youth, and yes i get ID'd constantly but it doesnt bother me though, i like looking young for my age

as for my old layout, it wasnt a desision i made easily, i spent a good few months building it and spent quite a bit too, but when neither of my 4MTs could make it round the layout once with out derailing, changes had to be made
i'd also made it impossible to install point motors, and some of the points were located in really awkward positions too as a result large sections of the layout were never used

so here now ive tried to do the same sort of thing but simplify it greatly

its now "Mikespace"

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 am

EWIYmike wrote:
50035 Ark Royal wrote:21 :shock: you look about 16, i bet you need id when you buy alcohol or visit a pub :D
Ian

haha yeh, i like to refer to it as eternal youth, and yes i get ID'd constantly but it doesnt bother me though, i like looking young for my age

as for my old layout, it wasnt a desision i made easily, i spent a good few months building it and spent quite a bit too, but when neither of my 4MTs could make it round the layout once with out derailing, changes had to be made
i'd also made it impossible to install point motors, and some of the points were located in really awkward positions too as a result large sections of the layout were never used

so here now ive tried to do the same sort of thing but simplify it greatly

Eternal youth don't knock it, i turned 40 last November but still only look mid to late 20's which i put down to not smoking and no alcohol until i was in mid 20's plus i never binge drink.
Well i hope this new layout goes better for you and you have less problems so you can enjoy youre train's and have fun as that is what this hobby should be.
best of luck.
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:10 am

35011 GSN wrote:

can I swap you for my actual brother if thats the case? I'm sure no one would notice

is it a fringe haircut though? and only if you give my your britannia ¬_¬ you have the one i wanted as well

its swept over one eye - so I'm a cyclops.....if I knew what I was doing it would have been dyed by now :P

ooooo errrr my Britannia......nope, shes mine :P I'd recoment the shop I got her from (£84 :D ) but they closed......ho hum

EWIYmike wrote:
50035 Ark Royal wrote:21 :shock: you look about 16, i bet you need id when you buy alcohol or visit a pub
Ian

you do look younger lol :D I'm forever being ID'd in gameshops and I'm like ' :x im 18, I was here last week when you asked for ID...again'

SouthernBoy wrote:

least we have all our hair :P joking :P

anyhooo, can't wait to see piccies - what region/era you modelling?

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:25 pm

35011 GSN wrote:ooooo errrr my Britannia......nope, shes mine :P I'd recoment the shop I got her from (£84 :D ) but they closed......ho hum

i found an ebay shop with similar prices, n ive already bought some stuff from there and they usually have a britiannia up, i jst need the money now =[

35011 GSN wrote:you do look younger lol :D I'm forever being ID'd in gameshops and I'm like ' :x im 18, I was here last week when you asked for ID...again'

haha i got ID'd for mass effect 2... i was 20 and its a 15...

35011 GSN wrote:anyhooo, can't wait to see piccies - what region/era you modelling?

BR(late) so like 1960 ishhh and just south east of the erm... north west er... midlands?

its now "Mikespace"

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:03 pm

EWIYmike wrote:
35011 GSN wrote:ooooo errrr my Britannia......nope, shes mine :P I'd recoment the shop I got her from (£84 :D ) but they closed......ho hum

i found an ebay shop with similar prices, n ive already bought some stuff from there and they usually have a britiannia up, i jst need the money now =[

35011 GSN wrote:you do look younger lol :D I'm forever being ID'd in gameshops and I'm like ' :x im 18, I was here last week when you asked for ID...again'

haha i got ID'd for mass effect 2... i was 20 and its a 15...

35011 GSN wrote:anyhooo, can't wait to see piccies - what region/era you modelling?

BR(late) so like 1960 ishhh and just south east of the erm... north west er... midlands?

hmmm, i never seem to have any money :P and rofling at mass effect 2 :)

sounds a nice period to model :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”