Thought it was about time I let you in on my next project, an Atlantic, in fact a LNER C1 4-4-2, I started building this one over 30 years ago, (well the chassis) so I thought it was time to build the body and get the thing running up to Edgware.
I am using a B12 as a base, first thing to do is remove the body, and carefully remove the rear wheels of the B12 chassis, you now have a 4-4-0, pop out the magnets, save these wheels you'll need them, out with the hacksaw, remove the metal under the motor, and up to the (now) rear wheels, this space is for the trailing truck, that sits under the cab/firebox, after that it's time to gently remove the center flangless wheels, once these are removed you replace them with the flanged wheels you took off earlier, you now have a 4-4-0 again, but with all wheels flanged.
In your shopping list for this loco you will need, another B12 body, a Hornby 'Hall' extension plate and cylinders, Hornby (old style) 'Princess' valve gear, and the extra long valve gear screws. Also the trailing truck from a later version of a Hornby A1/3
- 4mm has been taken out of the boiler, just after the smokebox, and reglued into place, a cut of 11mm in the running plate has also been made for the cylinders
- B12 with short boiler.JPG (79.54 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
- A cut behind the rear splasher
- DSCF0069.JPG (85.5 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
- A chunk of boiler from B12 number 2 approx 9 mm long, links it back together again
- DSCF0071.JPG (93.6 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs