Edgware GN, A couple of A1's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Edgware GN,

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:51 pm

That grey primer is quite fetching - reminiscent of the Plant's official photographs.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:... "Great British Locomotives". That series definitely passed me by. How did it work? ...

Coming a little late to this, how did it work? - Quite surprisingly well!

Every single OO scale model in this series was a scanned knock off from a RTR OO loco: there was no doubt about it, features which were strictly only part of a RTR model construction such as the NEM coupler pockets were reproduced on the GBL items,and small dimensional compromises to make a working mechanism possible were unnecessarily present in the copy. The bodies were in polystyrene, so very easy to go to work on, and popular as project feedstock; the running gear largely cast metal chunks, non-working, really only of use as ballast weights, which I did for a friend as the alloy swiftly melted by blow torch application.

No public protests from the manufacturers concerning this exploitation. Possibly they thought that since they were not working models the competition was negligible?

The publisher tends to 'go around again' on their titles every few years, and there's a heap of new models to knock off since the first time around, so you never know...

manna

Postby manna » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:40 pm

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the replies, always appreciated.

I'm hopeful GBL, will do another round of loco's, the O2 and C1, will be very useful.

Anyway, a small update, the B2's body has had a coat of Green paint, the chassis has had it's motor fitted, a standard X03/4 was fitted first, but only buzzed, so was swopped to an older X03/4, which worked, coupling rods were fitted on one side, and promptly buckled on the first revolution, they are for the later version, Doah !!

manna
Attachments
DSCF5323.JPG
DSCF5324.JPG
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

manna

Postby manna » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:17 am

G'Day Gents

Not a lot done on the B2, just fiddling around with the coupling rods and gear wheel that's come loose. Now a certain C12 tank engine has been sitting in the draw doing nothing because I haven't fitted the couplings, so I gave it a run, Perfect, I've had it on the workbench today, a front coupling, lamp irons and 'RED' lining, that brings it to life. I have a second one sitting in the draw as well, I'll have to fix that one up as well, Double headed Atlantic tanks will look good.

Also playing around with a 'Very' old TriAng Thompson coach, they are quite close to the Tourist coaches used Pre war, as another brake second is needed, and these 'Bright' Green and Cream coaches fit in quite well. There is still a long way to go, new bogies etc.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5353.JPG
DSCF5354.JPG
DSCF5357.JPG
DSCF5352.JPG
DSCF5351.JPG

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:56 am

manna wrote:... playing around with a 'Very' old TriAng Thompson coach, they are quite close to the Tourist coaches used Pre war...

Good feedstock for knocking into models of the streamlined train stock as well, not 100% accurate but a good representation.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Now, she is gorgeous - what's her full phone number?!!

I see you've added an unobtrusive wire drawbar at the front - have you done, or will you be doing, the same for the rear?

manna

Postby manna » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:59 pm

G'Day Gents.

Thanks for the comments

Bigmet, yes, they are good value, and I may one day have a go at one of the 'Streamliners, the first Thompson coach I ever bought, was only 39p, brand new. :D it was 1970.

Ex-Pat. I'll be fitting a wire coupling on the back, I ran out of time ! also handrails for the cab. That darn lining is so fine and fiddly.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 am

G'Day Gents

I've pulled out a second C12, this one is a Cotswold kit body and a Hornby 0-4-0, a marriage not made in heaven, so I've turned my attention to a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis, the wheels have been changed on the front two axles and after a clean and light oil I had it running, I've had to cut a bit out of the back of the cab, but this'll be covered by the coal load in the bunker, shouldn't be to long before it's running.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5362.JPG
DSCF5365.JPG
DSCF5371.JPG
DSCF5369.JPG

manna

Postby manna » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 am

G'Day Gents

Lots of little adjustments on the C12 (metal body) Had the body and chassis running today, hooked up to 6 coaches, no worries there, but needs a little more weight, also coupled it up with the other C12, for some photo's (only got couplings on the back).

Also been playing around with this, runs well, quite slow, considering it's got Lima running gear, only have the apply the the numbers and double arrows, and it'll be off to England, hope the lad will be happy with it.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5384.JPG
DSCF5381.JPG
DSCF5391.JPG
DSCF5392.JPG
DSCF5393.JPG

manna

Postby manna » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 am

G'Day Gents

The 'Thumper' has been posted of to my Son, hope it gets there in one piece !

To stave off the Boredom of having nothing to do until my e-bay parcel arrives from my son, I thought I'd go Crazy and build two loco's at the same time, I had two Dublo/Wrenn 0-6-0 chassis sitting in the draw doing nothing, and needing ?? more 0-6-0's now was a good time as any, one was going to be a J3, but a M&GN version, taken over by the LNER in 1937, the other being converted into a J7, both started well, the J7 streaking ahead, but suddenly stopping when I realized it wouldn't look right, the wheels being to big and way out of place, a Hornby Jinty, was measured up being a reasonably match, then looking through one of my draws, I found an old K's J3 chassis, which is a perfect fit, Hornby wheels have been fitted, but scale wheels will probably be fitted later.

The J3 has just been painted and looks an Ugly little S**, with it's Fowler smokebox door and stovepipe chimney. The J7 looks a lot better, being a typical GN 0-6-0, but with small wheels.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5452.JPG
J7
DSCF5453.JPG
J7
DSCF5444.JPG
J7
DSCF5456.JPG
M&GN J3
DSCF5449.JPG
M&GN J3

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Yes, they are ugly! That stovepipe chimney sent me rushing to my R.C.T.S. Volume 5 as I'd never seen one before. Looks like J3 chimneys can be a bit of a minefield depending on the date. Nevertheless it's looking good.

manna

Postby manna » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:58 am

G'Day Folks

Well after a tidy up and a better coat of paint and it's M&GN number it looks a little better, I might leave it in it's 'Pristine' condition for a while, as I believe they were overhauled by the LNER when they were taken over from the M&GN, so this is how it would have looked in '37/38. But even with the new coat of paint, it's still ugly, but it'll only be used of goods trains.

Still a few bits to do, handrails and cab steps.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5466.JPG
DSCF5462.JPG
DSCF5461.JPG
DSCF5460.JPG
DSCF5459.JPG

manna

Postby manna » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 pm

G'day Gents

The J7 is almost finished, although I'll be buying some new wheels, not happy with the Hornby wheels.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5465.JPG
DSCF5464.JPG
DSCF5463.JPG

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm

I sometimes forget to look and then I see a whole hose of lovely models. You have a real tallent.

manna

Postby manna » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 pm

G'Day Gents

Thank you Mountain for your comment, I like to put out ideas.

Been doing a bit of lining on a couple of locos, C1 and B2, the C1 was a B12 once upon a time :lol:

manna
Attachments
DSCF5475.JPG
DSCF5474.JPG
DSCF5468.JPG
DSCF5469.JPG

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”