Edgware GN,

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bigmet

Re: Edgware GN,

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:59 am

Mountain wrote:... It does look small for a station building but they came in all sizes and shapes.

Well, Bayford was very tiny when the original station was built, in the early twentieth century. Even now in that area there are locations where you wouldn't for a moment guess that Trafalgar Square is only eighteen miles distant. (Especially during this spring's hiatus, with no flights to speak of out of Stansted and Luton.)

A few miles South is 'The Great Wood' to which location in a past time all Hertfordshire schoolchildren were transported for a week during year 3 and made to live under canvas sleeping on straw stuffed palliases, and subsist largely on sausages, baked beans and baked potato washed down with cocoa. Water and all food supplies had to be fetched from a central base using handcarts, and all the work done by the children with guidance from the teaching staff on a 'what you don't do, doesn't happen' basis. Most of the time we played wide games in the woods with some nature study.

The coaches employed to ferry the pupils took a roundabout route to get you 'lost' - I had no idea where we were, but it was only six miles from home. Fabulous fun. (My future wife on her stay won best camper award for her extreme dedication to latrine cleaning.)

manna

Postby manna » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm

G'Day Gents

Great story Bigmet, you are right it's quite remote around Bayford, I heard a story when I worked at the 'Cross', a driver hit a Deer, when he exited Bayford tunnel with a empty DMU, he went to Hertford Nth, picked up his passengers and made his way back to Bayford, where he had to stop, after he left the station he drove slowly, then stopped his train next to the dead deer, got out picked up the deer took it back to the brake van, then went back to the cab and drove the train to Kings Cross, where he retrieved the deer, slung it over hes shoulders and carried it to his car, and nobody said a word ................!!

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:17 pm

manna wrote:---------- where he retrieved the deer, slung it over hes shoulders and carried it to his car, and nobody said a word ................!!

manna

Until Now!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:17 pm

manna wrote:... heard a story when I worked at the 'Cross', a driver hit a Deer, when he exited Bayford tunnel with a empty DMU, he went to Hertford Nth, picked up his passengers and made his way back to Bayford, where he had to stop, after he left the station he drove slowly, then stopped his train next to the dead deer, got out picked up the deer took it back to the brake van, then went back to the cab and drove the train to Kings Cross, where he retrieved the deer, slung it over his shoulders and carried it to his car, and nobody said a word ...

Among the crews working the 'country' suburban routes out of all of KX, Hornsey and Hatfield, there were a number keen to take any game that could be got. Similarly rural, the old St Albans and Hertford Luton and Dunstable branches offered good opportunity when working light engine, or freight, if the guard was minded to be cooperative. Little patches of woodland conveniently lineside at a good distance from the houses where the owners of the various estates lived, and plenty of game feathered and furred. Now the branches are all bridleways, the poaching continues to this day, so I am reliably informed.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:39 pm

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Great story Bigmet, you are right it's quite remote around Bayford, I heard a story when I worked at the 'Cross', a driver hit a Deer, when he exited Bayford tunnel with a empty DMU, he went to Hertford Nth, picked up his passengers and made his way back to Bayford, where he had to stop, after he left the station he drove slowly, then stopped his train next to the dead deer, got out picked up the deer took it back to the brake van, then went back to the cab and drove the train to Kings Cross, where he retrieved the deer, slung it over hes shoulders and carried it to his car, and nobody said a word ................!!

manna

Things like that still go on today. Where I worked, one train driver kept birds of pray. Any bird or other small dead animal found rather flat on the front of the train (Which was actually quite often) would be removed and placed in a carrier bag to feed his birds when he got home.

manna

Postby manna » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 pm

G'Day Gents

Great stories, Thank You. I've heard of Pheasants being found on the front of steam engines, weren't so lucky on Diesels.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:06 am

G'Day Gents

Had a couple of busy days, but not on Edgware, A new alternator and battery, were needed for the car, that ate up the last couple of days, good job the weathers been dry.

But to-day I managed a couple of hours in the shed, not a great deal to show for it, the framing of the building was glued on and a coat of 'cream' paint applied.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5079.JPG
DSCF5090.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am

That looks tight - what's the actual minimum clearance against the wall?

Never seen one yet, but I can't help thinking what people's reactions would be if you were to model a dead pheasant on a loco Would it be a step of realism too far?

manna

Postby manna » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:52 am

G'Day Folks

Ex-Pat, there is only couple of mm between the loco and the wall, but no vehicles touch, been that close for quite a few years.

As for the Pheasant, I'll have a look on E-Bay, be different, wouldn't it. :lol:

Many years ago, a early morning train arriving at Paddington, had a human body jammed on the buffer beam, it hadn't been noticed until it arrived under the lights at Paddington, caused a bit of a stir.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:25 pm

G'Day Gents

A plaster embankment has been built along the back of the platform, also creating a ramp down to the platform, more work on the Ticket office, a simple interior has been fitted and a few signs.

manna
Attachments
DSCF5091.JPG
DSCF5092.JPG
DSCF5098.JPG
DSCF5099.JPG

manna

Postby manna » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am

G'day Gents

After some very cold weather, including 'Snow' 100 km's up the road and in the Flinders Ranges (200 km's away) I can get back in the shed. I did some plastering on the ramp, it took 3 days to dry ! :o . I have now painted it and 'Sanded' the ramp and platform, the Ticket Office has had slates glued to the roof.

Humorist has had it's nameplates fitted, after being in a box for a number of years, but only because I found the nameplates. :D

manna
Attachments
DSCF5104.JPG
DSCF5106.JPG
DSCF5107.JPG
DSCF5100.JPG
DSCF5109.JPG

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:43 am

It is surprizing how long certain paints take to dry. I have one small tin which takes half a month to dry or more! I rarely use it but at the same time, I do want to get my moneys worth as those little paint tins are not cheap.

manna

Postby manna » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:48 pm

G'Day Gents

Hi Mountain, I know what you mean, some of my paints are years old (25+ years) try putting a few drops of Eucalyptus oil in the tin ( Oils only) thins them down, makes them dry quicker.

manna

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Definitely a loco with a difference and, after Flying Scotsman, reckoned to possibly be the most frequently photographed A3 because its appearance was always being altered. Looking forward to the finished numbering.

I'm not doubting your experience but I'm trying trying to get my head round how making a paint more liquidy can result in faster drying. Is there a scientific reason you know of?

manna

Postby manna » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:17 am

G'Day Gents

I was recommended Eucalyptus oil for some old lumpy paint that I had (LNER green, that's hard to get in Oz) I found that it dries fast, it may because of the heat when I was using it, but Eucalyptus oil also evaporates quickly in cooler climes.

manna

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”