Edgware GN,

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Edgware GN,

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 am

Another amazing "test-tube" loco - I know it can be dangerous to weather valve gear, but some oily steel (or whatever's on the coupling rods) paint on the connecting rod and valve gear would really be the icing on the cake?

manna

Postby manna » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:37 am

G'day Gents

Oh, this will get weathered, the only pictures of them that I have seen them clean, were at the 1925 Centenary at Shildon. The rest of the time, they were filthy.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

manna

Postby manna » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:02 am

G'day Gents

Changed track again, thought I'd like to see my Heljan O2 in LNER colours, so out came the paint pots and transfers, couple of days later, when all dry.
DSCF4268.JPG
DSCF4269.JPG

Also having a old Kitmaster Stirling single tender knocking around, I decided to knock up a running chassis for it, so it'll be ready, when I build another J4 for it.

A reasonable sized Grass fire came within half a mile of our home over the weekend. Burnt out a couple of hundred acres. No damage.

then on Monday a Brown snake about 3 foot long came into the backyard, to play ? with the dogs, it escaped by going under the house, it tried to get away again later in the day, but the dogs chased it back under the house, Haven't seen it for a couple of days. Hope it's gone walkabout.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4272.JPG
DSCF4270.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:15 pm

The loco shed has caught my eye - you've kept it fairly well hidden - had to go back to page 15 for a previous snatch of it.

Any chance of less obscured close-up photos & details please?

manna

Postby manna » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 am

G'Day Gents

You wish is my command, Ex-Pat. :lol:

It is a pair of old Airfix kits, glued together, I've had one of them since 1971, the other is even older, maybe 1967/8. I do need to finish it off, I still have all the bit's to do so, but Edgware lost it's engine shed back in something like 1888, when it fell down during a Blizzard, so do I finish it and add an imaginary loco shed, ??? Then again, the line to London Coney is imaginary too. :mrgreen:

manna

PS A couple of pics of our Grass fire.
Attachments
DSCF4267.JPG
DSCF4261.JPG
DSCF4280.JPG
DSCF4278.JPG
DSCF4277.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks manna.

It really does the job for me, and just oozes the age and decrepitness that one would expect of a secondary/minor route.

Was the bottom photo's two-tone black the forerunner of BR's two-tone green I wonder?!

Will your grass fire photo inspire anybody to model crop-burning - a feature I cannot recall ever having seen being modelled?

manna

Postby manna » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:18 pm

G'day Gents.

The two tone black gives it's age away, grey 1967/8, almost black 1971.

Good thinking about the burnt crops/embankment, I'm slowly 'Greening' up the layout, and a bit is waiting for me to get round to doing it, so a burnt bit of embankment, might look different.

I have seen bits of burnt embankment on a couple of layouts over the years, but not many.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 am

G'day Gents

After a bit of thought (hard as it maybe), I've added an extra siding to the loco shed, the logic behind this is Edgware is a Junction, so would probably have a small engine shed. I'll have to see if it grows on me !!

manna
Attachments
DSCF4290.JPG
DSCF4292.JPG
DSCF4294.JPG

manna

Postby manna » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:12 am

G'Day Gents

Things are improving, time wise, been banished from the house, I'm creating to much 'Dust', I'm creating trains, 'Dust' is a by product :lol: So I'm back out in the shed, so less work on 'Hot' days, and we've had a few.

The P1, is now a runner, had to move the cylinders yet again, but it did the trick, no photo, as it still looks the same.

I've been having a go at a couple of Hornby 0-4-0's, rewheeled them so I can fit them under my C12's, two bodies and one chassis, which doesn't work very well.
I bumped into my G1 0-4-4T again, terrible runner, so I pulled it apart, cleaned it and put it back together again and it worked with a bit of extra weight, no idea what was wrong with it, have fitted the rear bogie, going to need more fiddling, but it has a new chimney that I've turned in an electric drill.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4467.JPG
DSCF4468.JPG
DSCF4471.JPG
DSCF4472.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 pm

Looking forward to photo and details of the G1 chimney (is it brass, or what?).

manna

Postby manna » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 am

G'Day Gents

Sorry about that, I was going to follow up the last post straight away............but. :oops:

Anyway.......The chimneys are made out of Perspex, ( A Venetian blind winder) , cut off 6 inches, stick it in the end of your Electric drill, which you've already locked into you vice, then gently use a small 1/4 inch chisel, to make the shape of the chimney, then clean up with small files, it won't take long to get the hang of it.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4514.JPG
DSCF4515.JPG
DSCF4516.JPG
DSCF4517.JPG
DSCF4520.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks manna -as inventive as ever (and saves a few bob as well!).

manna

Postby manna » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:53 pm

G'Day Gents

I have restarted work on 4419, which I started working on more than 40 years ago, this time I might get to finish it, Fiddled with it today, changed the motor, gave it a clean and away it went, so just the valve gear to fit. Whilst looking for more information on 4419, I came across 3279, and found out that she had 2 guise's, (possibly 3) and ran for many years as a 4 cylinder simple engine, the look of it interested me, so with a little more research,I found out she was quite different from her sisters, outside cylinders, wider running plate and a wider cab, and big blocky cylinders that came part way up the smokebox :shock: So an Great British Trains, Flying Scotsman, was sacrificed, well the running plate, the rest will be scratchbuilt, a old tender drive A3 chassis has also been butchered.

The valve gear on the Robinson B1 is finally working. Most of the other engines are on hold waiting for parts, which should be here soon, along with a few other goodies.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4521.JPG
DSCF4522.JPG
DSCF4532.JPG
DSCF4533.JPG
DSCF4534.JPG

manna

Postby manna » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:19 am

G'Day Gents

Trying to clear some space on my already overcrowded workbench, I decided to concentrate on the G1, as it need the least amount of work & spare parts, most of the others need 'Bits' which I'm still waiting for. There are still things that need doing, glass for the windows, sandboxes, weathering and couplings (I've stuck a three link on the front) Not to bad a loco, for one that used to be a damaged Hornby N2.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4540.JPG
DSCF4542.JPG
DSCF4546.JPG
DSCF4551.JPG
DSCF4552.JPG

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:38 am

'Steam in the Suburbs'. Loving the thread. Thanks for posting.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”