Edgware GN,

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Edgware GN,

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 pm

The discolouration has my attention - hardly advanced rust weathering - haven't noticed it before - what's the secret?

manna

Postby manna » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 am

G'Day Gents

The discoloration, is only body filler, here in Oz it's Pink !!!

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

manna

Postby manna » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am

G'Day Gents

Thought it was about time I bothered everybody again, work is progressing slowly on the E1, and have been experimenting on Hornby powered tenders, which is going quite well.

Went back to the O1, 2-8-0, a few issues, rebuilt the engine/tender coupling, (to short) weathered the engine and tender, fitted a new 'GN' chimney, reversing leaver, tomorrow I'll fit the cab handrails, finally found them :oops: Also try to take some better pictures.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3120.JPG
DSCF3121.JPG

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Is this the O1 on page 12 (previously numbered 3466)?

In looking back for it I saw some more of the pink filler on other locos - I must say that Pink and Oz don't seem natural stable-mates!

manna

Postby manna » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 pm

G'Day Gents

yes Ex-Pat, this is the loco previously known as 3466, the numbers were to high so they had to come off, so I gave it a new number to.

We have a couple of different car body fillers, one of them is called 'BOG' that's pink to.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 pm

G'Day Gents

Time for an update, I've been doing a bit of experimentation with a Hornby tender drive, I ground down the axleboxes on a 'Schools' tender, and then overlayed a piece of plastic on the cleared surface, then new axleboxes were glued in place, with a new body built in the GN style, I now have a powered GN tender to run behind the E1
DSCF3117.JPG
DSCF3118.JPG

A new wood backed buffer beam has been fitted, along with the pair of front carrying wheels.
DSCF3108.JPG

Also on the loco, the holes in the outside frames have been cut out.
DSCF3128.JPG

manna

manna

Postby manna » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:26 am

G'Day Gents

Moving on with the E1, I still have some bits to do, handrails for one, I gave handrail knobs, but two different types, and I didn't want to do each side different, also I can't find the drawgear, it's here somewhere !!!! probably in one of my half dozen bits boxes :shock:

This loco was withdrawn in 1927, so never had the number on the cab.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3132.JPG
DSCF3134.JPG
DSCF3135.JPG

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:57 am

Excellent Scratchbuilding skills their Manna!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am

You certainly never disappoint manna.

The E1 is indeed a rare beast, to such an extent that I had to look it up in the R.C.T.S. "Locomotives of the L.N.E.R." to find a photo of that unusual diagonal sloping tender frame end. Most surprised to find that Volume 4 doesn't have a single photo of the E1. It does however interestingly mention that "the tenders fitted to the earliest G.N. Stirling 2-4-0's had wooden frames..." What tender type is yours?

Edit: Ignore the underlined sentence.
Last edited by Ex-Pat on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am

I love the scratchbuilding. Very nice.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

manna

Postby manna » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:02 pm

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the replies, always great to get a bit of feedback.

I made a bit of a Boo Boo with tender, I built a Ivatt tender chassis when I should have built a Stirling tender chassis, not a lot of difference, so a slight adjustment will take place later, the body is correct, although a fraction longer and wider, to fit the chassis, if Hornby can do it........Etc. Etc.
This tender is steel. There is a picture of 4070 in RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Fig 191 (couple of others to).

manna

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:54 pm

manna wrote:.

There is a picture of 4070 in RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Fig 191 (couple of others to).

manna

Apologies -so there are - I went through the book twice, so can only assume those 2 pages were stuck together!

Fig. 193 is interesting, showing an E1 on a Stafford - Derby train in 1924, but I imagine that is rather too early for coopslner.

manna

Postby manna » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

G'Day Ex-Pat

Yep, 3818 withdrawn Jan 1924, see that pic was taken in 1924, it probably only had days to live, coopslner, models between 1945 and 1948, if I remember correctly, trying to keep it going for another 21 years might be stretching it a bit to far :lol:

Interesting the old GNR line to Stafford, even the big Atlantic's (C1) made it to Stafford.

manna

manna

Postby manna » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:03 am

G'Day Gents

I said to Ex-Pat that 2018 would be the year of the station, and seeing as I started it 'Years' ago I thought I'd better finish it, one of the main problems is that the central building (Booking hall) had warped in the heat, it reached 46c in the shade, probably near 65c + in the sun, so the first thing to do was un-warp it, I couldn't dunk it in hot water so I used ice lolly sticks as a frame, with pegs and clamps I slowly straightened it out, I didn't really want to make another, but the lolly sticks worked, next job was the roof and about a thousand slates, a couple of windows had popped out so they had to be replaced, finally all three parts were glued together.
It's 460 mm long, 80 mm wide and 90 mm high, I still have to fit barge boards, gutters and down pipes (some done) and the doors and glass canopy. I've given it one coat of paint to see how it looks, but there's plenty to do.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3164.JPG
Front view, left side, station masters part.
DSCF3163.JPG
Front right hand side, Parcels and waiting room.
DSCF3162.JPG
Right hand, platform side, station master side.
DSCF3161.JPG
Left side, platform side, Parcels, Gents toilets and waiting room.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

Nice building Manna, pleased that you have managed to sort out the warping. There cannot be anything worse that putting a lot of time and effort into making a model then having something unexpected happen to it. Not much chance of ever seeing temperatures like that in Scotland :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”