Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Edgware GN, New loco's

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Here is my rendition of Edgware GN./LNER./BR station over the years (only the rolling stock changes), quick history lesson, opened in the 1860's, was to be a through station to Watford, but the powers lapsed, never built, station closed to passengers 1939, closed to freight 1964. I my world? everything stayed open 'till 1970!! Time modeled 1920 to 1970, no blue diesels, only early green, if you see a blue one it's due for a repaint or a rebuild! (IE the Hymek will be donating parts to make a baby Deltic)
I live 200kms from Adelaide in South Australia, (no local model shop) so I have to make or adapt most things or wait for my son to send them over from England, often a long wait is involved (frustrating, when something is half built) therefore I spend a lot of time converting locos, B12 to a C1 Atlantic or B12 to a J19, also I scratch build onto whatever chassis that I can get hold of ( H-D/ Tri-Ang etc) they all run, although there not for the rivet counter :roll: I like most to have FUN
manna
Attachments
engine J5.JPG
engine J5.JPG (14.66 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Last edited by manna on Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:42 am, edited 55 times in total.
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
manna

Re: Edgware GN in 'OO'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Now that I've figured out how to attach some pics, Here go'es :lol:
Now that I've got that sused, time for some more imfo,Edgware is 13'X 8' and is housed in a leanto, built on the side of a larger 20'X 20' shed and has power and a Air Con to keep it cool in our harsh Aussie summer, up to 46c :oops:
manna
Last edited by manna on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the weston guy

Post by the weston guy »

Nice layout, I see some gnr somersult signals how do you make them?
iankemp

Post by iankemp »

Looking good! i will be keeping tabs on this layout and progress! I have some stuff on the GNR if you want me to email it to you!
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Manna(from Heaven) :lol: ,
Welcome aboard, mate. Keep the Posts coming and we'll all keep watching,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Thanks for that, plenty to do, plenty to tell :)

Somersault signals, made them back in the early 80's all brass,I have an unpainted one in the bits box, I'll dig it out.

Anything on the GN is most welcome, thank you.

These pics were taken Oct/Nov last year and things have moved on a bit since then, I'll try to keep them in some sort of order. The track layout is very close to the real Edgware, I call it GN as London Transport have a station only a few hundred yards up the road. The loco shed at Edgware actually fell over in a storm in the 1880's and was never rebuilt, but on my layout it was ??more pics :mrgreen:
manna
Last edited by manna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I tried to load a plan, but it was rejected, Ahh well I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and load that instead. :)
Instead I'll give you a run down of my stock, all up there are 30 locos, most of them work, a couple are being rebuilt, and won't be to long in the shops, the oldest is a Tri-Ang 3F 0-6-0 tender loco, bought it new in 1968, still runs perfect, the newest are a K3 2-6-0 and a Stainer 8F (in LNER livery)there are also A3's A4 and a A2 on the books, but would they have been used on a single suburban line ????? I think not :oops: but when everyones gone to bed, the A2 gets to take a 2 coaches and a parcels van to KX :shock:
manna
Last edited by manna on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

looking really good :) some nice stock you got there

I like the LNER mirror :P
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Ah--------- the LNER mirror, er found that at Hornsey shed in 1971 (I worked for BR, so I was suppose to be there) when I got it home I scrapped off about 14 layers of paint?? including Apple Green and Garter Blue!! and at the bottom was varnished teak, I have'nt revarnished it :wink:
manna
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

wow....
This layout looks like its gonna look very good when finished :P

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I thought I'd post a pic of the real Edgware Station, to give you an idea of what it looks like!

Question---Why do I keep getting,The extension bmp is not allowed, when I try to load some of my pics???? :shock:
manna
Attachments
EdgwareStation1940Sainsburysnow.jpg
EdgwareStation1940Sainsburysnow.jpg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 14636 times
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Since some of the earlier pics (taken Oct-April) I have been concentrating on cleaning and repairing loco's and wagons that have been in storage for about 15 years, and has taken quite a while to get them back to a reliable condition, 4 XO4 motors have failed totally, luckly I had spares tucked away, but two J72's are going to need a bit more work, as the wheels and axles have parted company! A LNER (ex GN) O1 2-8-0 that I built about 25 years ago had it front end fall off!! and I also had to rebuilt the cab of my J5 as the cab had been crushed, Well that little list has kept me very busy.
To take my mind off of my own little 'Barry scrapyard' I've also converted a Hornby cl.25 into a cl 24 (most of my loco's are about 25 years old) and have fitted a old Lima Deltic chassi under a Hornby 37, the nose detail has been removed and brass doors and split headcodes to be fitted. A Mainline cl 46 will be next on the list.
Many old wagons have been cleaned up and repainted, including some very old 'Peco wonderful wagons' from the 60's, good runners though!

Coaching stock is mainly Hornby, but there a couple of others of mixed origin, including Ian Kirks, I still have a Gresly artic twin to make :P

So with all that done not a great deal has been done on the railway, although with regular running the track and electics are proving themselves to be reliable, the track has been down now for 9 months (even though some of it is almost 40 years old) only two points have failed and been replaced with points of a similar age! All electric switches are new! althouth the wires (ex telephone wire ) are s/h, so it is almost time to start ballasting (groan)

Edgware, if you look at the picture above, only has a couple of buildings, a large Goods shed, water tower (in brick) the station buldins and a large black factory? in the background, and what looks like a house of to the right! The biggest problem is that the old GN liked to use 'Yellow brick" so I'll have to build them :D

The only other large thing that will be seen to be done is the backscene, buildings will cover some some of the bushes??
I've had to delet some of the earlier posts pictures as there seems to be a limit of 12 pics, looks like there will be a constant turnover :shock:
manna
Attachments
Layout today July2010.jpg
Layout today July2010.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 14525 times
Last edited by manna on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Everyday, more progress! since my last post the bridge over the LT, Northern line has been replaced, with a new bridge, the old ones were for a layout I built in 1977!!! it's lasted well :) also the station area has been touched up, I've painted the platforms a sort of grey? but has turned out a bit blueish :shock: I've also bought out some platform furniture, people, lamps, etc to see how they look! a couple of trucks and buses kinda finish it off and give me a overall picture.

I have quite a few larger Pacific types from previous layouts, they get the odd run out, up a single line branch :?
manna
Attachments
Trix body, Hornby A3 chassi (loco drive) Trix tender body on a Hornby A3 tender chassi
Trix body, Hornby A3 chassi (loco drive) Trix tender body on a Hornby A3 tender chassi
A4 Sea Eagle.JPG (63.41 KiB) Viewed 14384 times
4MT at Edgware.JPG
4MT at Edgware.JPG (113.39 KiB) Viewed 14390 times
Last edited by manna on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

looking good

doesn't matter if your running some larger pacifics as well, as long as your having fun

Ben
Last edited by trainsandco on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thought it about time I gave an update, working away as usual, geting bits and bobs done, I've spent a bit of time on E-Bay buying some more loco's and stock to cover the 60's period, 2x class 31's a class26 and some older type Thompson coaches.

All my trackwork has now been checked for running, to take out those annoying little bumps and kinks that appear, ready for ballasting, but a few new points will be installed first to make sure it will be smooooooth running in the future.

Have'nt forgot the rest, I'm in the process of covering the three arch viaduct in embossed brick and have done the wing walls and under the bridge for the 'Northern Line' tracks, speaking of that trackwork, I had to pull it up as I had headroom to mainline standards, tube line headroom being a lot less, so I had to bring the track up app. 9mm, looks a bit better now, see what you think?? You may notice that the viaduct to the left of the Northern Line bridge is missing, a spare bit of wood doing the honours for the moment :shock:

manna
Attachments
Northern Line bridge.JPG
Northern Line bridge.JPG (68.52 KiB) Viewed 14226 times