Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Edgware GN,

Post by railwayjim »

What a difference a coat of paint makes, totally transforms it
and pulls it all together, once you've finished the building and
put the appropriate transfers on, you'd never guess how it started
life.

Very impressive, way beyond my capabilities I'm afraid, I'll stick to buildings :wink:

Jim.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents.

Hi Jim,
Loco building is not that difficult once you get to know your way round 'Plastic card' and a decent glue, a lot of the older type glues have been ' watered down' by regulations, I use a modern super glue, that lives up to it's name, it sticks in seconds, so your fingers have to be pretty nimble.
If you find a plan in one of the railway mags, try to build the cab, see how it comes out, then keep a look out for a boiler, anything round will do, conduit, bicycle pumps ( they come in different sizes ) I tried stainless steel garden lights the other day, failed, to thin, it bent and buckled when I tried to use a pipe cutter, and a diamond saw left ragged edges, so in the bin, nearly all of my chassis are RTR, Give it a try, you know you want to.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I tried stainless steel garden lights the other day, failed, to thin, it bent and buckled when I tried to use a pipe cutter, and a diamond saw left ragged edges,
Exactly the same experience! Plastic water pipe is ok if you can keep it straight, I used PVC wastepipe for a large saddletank, sanding the bottom edges to produce the roll under. Plastic electrical conduit might be better for a boiler.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Hi, Bufferstop, You have to try everything that may come in useful, regardless what it was and may become.

Due to the generosity of two Gentlemen, one in the UK and one in Canada, I am now the possessor of a GNR A5, Ivatt single wheeler body (fits onto a Hornby Caly single chassis) a GNR Locker third, clerestory type coach, and a couple of GN 5 plank coal wagons.

The A5 is a 3 D model, the coach a 'Resin' molding as are the wagons, all these are basic bodyshells so are going to need a bit of work to make them into decent models. I've made a start with the A5, so far I've managed to get it onto the Caly single chassis, and I've cleaned up the resin coach.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3193.JPG
DSCF3194.JPG
DSCF3195.JPG
DSCF3196.JPG
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

The coach looks particularly impressive - can you get further types from the same source?
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'm afraid not Ex-Pat, the guy that made the mold only made four before it deteriorated beyond repair, he kept three and gave me the other, but I can tell you that the original was made from old Hornby shorty LNER coaches, his run on the old Hornby chassis, with new Fox bogies.

manna
burnie

Post by burnie »

Just stumbled onto this thread, some excellent and inspiring work
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the reply Burnie, I always happy when I can inspire someone.

Still working on the new models, but even with days of work, there's nothing to look at, but it won't be long before I can show you a worthwhile update.

but I can show you a couple of pictures of Deltic at Edgware, a totally fictitious scenario :lol: At least the new station canopy is visible in one of the pics

manna
Attachments
DSCF3216.JPG
DSCF3211.JPG
DSCF3213.JPG
DSCF3208.JPG
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I had a bit of time on my hands today, so the station was weathered, still more to go.

manna
Attachments
Before
Before
During
During
During
During
After
After
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

The weathering has transformed it manna, it certainly brings
out all the details, it seems to blend together after weathering,
things always seem isolated in new paint.

The weathering certainly adds to the realism, well worth the effort.

Jim.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Yes, I can almost feel the mould and soot on those walls.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Beavering away, the new coach has had a couple of coats of paint, but looks a little shiny, I'll have to tone it down. I built a chassis, rebuilt the Fox bogies I had in a bit's box, and made up a couple of Gas tanks out of a tent peg, so a lot of weight down low.

The Ivatt single has had a couple of coats of paint to, hoping the paint will fill some of the marks in the plastic, as it's very hard, and doesn't like being rubbed down, at the moment it's in First World War, grey livery.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3240.JPG
DSCF3250.JPG
DSCF3247.JPG
DSCF3246.JPG
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I love the trees on the back scene. Is it better to paint the sky first? I've not tried painting back scenes before.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Mountain, yes I painted the sky first, actually painted the whole room a very light blue, then when the boards went up I just daubed green paint with a 4" brush along the walls in a tree like pattern, used a couple of different greens (tester pots) ther's no brown at all.

manna
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

I really like the look of the WW1 livery. Even though some may say it is quite drab, I think it is quite attractive, I was once considering doing it to one of my J6's (J22) but would be totally out of era.

Maybe a flash of Humbrol Saturn enamel varnish will do the trick for the coach. Depending on the type of decals you are planing on using, it maybe advantageous to apply them to the glossy surface then seal them in with a Saturn spray + a bit of weathering. :)

Coops
Derby Friargate GN