Rhydypennau By Stewart Gethin.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stewart Gethin

Re: My layout. First ever attempt at modelling anything.

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 am

Pics will follow ian, a long with some randoms. and one for all the non rivet counters out there.
I am not sure about a class 47 nymore.. i saw one yesterday on an exhibition layout and i was like hmph. so it might be a 50 after all, although i am starting to like class 33's, and westerns with full front yellow ends, (?)

As i said, pictures will follow.

Stew
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:29 am

Hey Stew - you are doing a good job there with lots of enthusiasm.

Try to get hold of a Woodland Scenic mould and do some rock casting for your layout. It's very cheap to do and will look fantastic on your layout. I recommend Woodland Scenic Base rock mould number C1243 and some plaster of paris ( fine casting plaster). If you dabs some small amounts of watery yellow ochre followed by Burnt Umber ( heavier mix but still watery ) then a weak black covering you will have some great rock faces.
I also prefer Modroc and newspaer than paper mache for hills, embankments etc. Get some newspaper sheets and make like dougnut shapes ( not the ones with holes in) and pack them in together. Vary the sizes. Hold down with tape if necessary. Then cover with 6-10" squares of Modroc- overlapping each sheet by 50%. Use your fingers to smooth out the plaster. Leave to dry and that's it!
Paper mache is ok but can shrink over time and lift up from your layout although many modellers have there own special ways and methods of coping with it. Plus the good things it's so cheap to do.

regards

PF

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:46 am

Pevensey Flyer wrote:Hey Stew - you are doing a good job there with lots of enthusiasm.

Try to get hold of a Woodland Scenic mould and do some rock casting for your layout. It's very cheap to do and will look fantastic on your layout. I recommend Woodland Scenic Base rock mould number C1243 and some plaster of paris ( fine casting plaster). If you dabs some small amounts of watery yellow ochre followed by Burnt Umber ( heavier mix but still watery ) then a weak black covering you will have some great rock faces.
I also prefer Modroc and newspaer than paper mache for hills, embankments etc. Get some newspaper sheets and make like dougnut shapes ( not the ones with holes in) and pack them in together. Vary the sizes. Hold down with tape if necessary. Then cover with 6-10" squares of Modroc- overlapping each sheet by 50%. Use your fingers to smooth out the plaster. Leave to dry and that's it!
Paper mache is ok but can shrink over time and lift up from your layout although many modellers have there own special ways and methods of coping with it. Plus the good things it's so cheap to do.

regards

PF

Hi pevensey flyer, thanks for the advice, i will look into the moulds as i have seen them on your layout and look fantastic. but one thing is, do they do them in small sizes etc? because i need something to go down the inside of the incline, but i don't know what yet.

That is one reason i used paper maché was because it was cheap.

Thanks again. (i WILL GET THOSE PICTURES UP OF THE DMU)!

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:34 am

You can break them, cut them and carve them to whatever size you want. Once you've bought the mould then you've got it forever and future layouts.

PF

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 am

Hi there y'all. i've got an early christmas present for you. Just joking, its just some pictures of my layout :P
There are a couple of the dmu, 08 and just other random stuff i've been doing on it. well... Enjoy. Thanks, Stew.

Well thats all for now. i'll be starting up a thread concerning my 5" gauge garden railway up soon, so keep an eye out.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critisizm welcome as always.

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 am

wow the ballast looks really effective. Is that the foam underlay???

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi love the dmu that headcode is remarkablbly famillar 1E64, I think it was a Penzance -Leeds service 1984/85 timtable but i would have to check.
Agree with Larry that ballast looks realy good tbh
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks lads ;) i think the DMU is supposed to be a 3 car, but i like it how it is. and i think me and dad are going to fit LED's instead of the painted lights on it. and possibly add passengers. POSSIBLY. :)

The ballast is the foam underlay, IMHO i don't think it looks to bad, and i don't think its as bad as everyone makes it out to be. This foam underlay has been down a good 5 years. and can handle pva. i think you just need to just pin it down just right, otherwise it looks like it has sunk down into it.

Thanks again guys!

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:48 pm

yeah the ballast looks really good, nice neat 'shoulders' :D

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:28 pm

35011 GSN wrote:yeah the ballast looks really good, nice neat 'shoulders' :D

Except for where there are random polystyrene bits. "writes down on note pad to clean them off"

craw607

Postby craw607 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Definitely making good progress.
Agree ballasting looks good liked the photo with the hammer my favourite modelling tool
sorts all problems.
John

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:54 am

craw607 wrote:Definitely making good progress.
Agree ballasting looks good liked the photo with the hammer my favourite modelling tool
sorts all problems.
John

As you can see from the pics, i use it quite alot ;) not always on the layout mind.... sometimes it just slips out of my hands and hits my brother across the head. ( just joking ) ;)

Stew

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Stew also like those bright red kit-kat vans behind the A4 could easily be on a train to the Rowntress Factory at York, although nowadays sadly they are made by Nestle in another country :roll:
The ballasting is very neat and the whole layout is coming alive, have you thought of a name yet?
Got a few ideas Stu's railway, Stuartville,Gethinville, Gethinwood, if you wanted your namesake? yes a bit contreived i know :lol:
So will you be having a mainline diesel and if so which class? :wink:
looking good
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm

It's coming on great Stew. That DMU reminds me of my childhood and the start of my fancination of trains and model railways.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi Stew also like those bright red kit-kat vans behind the A4 could easily be on a train to the Rowntress Factory at York, although nowadays sadly they are made by Nestle in another country :roll:
The ballasting is very neat and the whole layout is coming alive, have you thought of a name yet?
Got a few ideas Stu's railway, Stuartville,Gethinville, Gethinwood, if you wanted your namesake? yes a bit contreived i know :lol:
So will you be having a mainline diesel and if so which class? :wink:
looking good
Ian

No ian, i havent thought of aname yet. But i think those names will just get on my nerves everytime i look at it on a platform or w.e, try make it something welsh or whatever;)

IM REALLY NOT SURE! :) i think i'm going to have to save up a bit yet though. only got about £30 at the moment. (wish i had more :( but don't we all. ) also i'll probably get a bit more scenic work done before having another play with the trains....
god damn coursework it shouldnt exist in my opinion. Modelling has probably tought me more that Design technology coursework..... For example, how to wire up a layout, (or a basic light in that case)!
How do i change the name of thread?

Thanks Pevensey :)

Thanks for reading all.
Stew

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”