QBR (Quarry Bank Railway) ~ Quarry Bank 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
35011 GSN

QBR (Quarry Bank Railway) ~ Quarry Bank 00

Postby 35011 GSN » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Well I'm sure your all aware that my layout has remained pretty much a mystery...so its about time I had an actual thread for my layout

Its a 00 guage layout based on a fictitious preserved railway somewhere within the UK, it is connected to the national network - allowing the occasional tour. Quarry Bank is the name of the station depicted on the layout and is the hub or the rather large preserved railway, loco sheds are 'off site'. Work started back in Dec 2003 when the layout was built jointly by my dad and the late Malcolm Priestman. I run stock from various regions (due to the fact the layout was shared with my brother until he lost interest) and it wasnt until 2008 that my interest swayed to the southern region.

The layout is situated in my attic, the main part of the layout is an 'L' shaped double track tail-chaser, with a branchline stub giving the layout more of a 'U' shape.
Wiring for the points is half done (they are operated by hand at the moment due to the fact I have no idea what im doing with the wiring and I'm lacking a soldering iron).

The layout runs on analogue (DC) and as of yet there are no plans to go over to DCC. The layout has a double track mainline with a large(ish) station located at the chimney breast, branch line station stub (in my fictitious history the branch line went further but when Beeching struck the branch was lifted and it is now a branch line terminus). The railway serves a quarry (guess where its name comes from :P), it also serves a paper mill and brewery. A tunnel at the end of the 'L' hides the tail chaser nature of the layout.

I have far too much stock :P a mixture of diesel and steam services can be seen, more modern designs also grace the layout such as a hst and class 59.

there is still so much work to do, mostly scenic stuff....last bit of work done was security fencing and the canal....which is currently getting a bit soft with the heat up there :S

I'll put up some (ALOT) piccies, any comments are welcome :)

Larry

A view from across the viaduct

my new brit 70015 'Apollo', viaduct was a card kit...eventually there will be fencing between the houses and railway

showing construction of the layout and canal below, the Quarry is in the background

branch line terminus, ignore the de-railed carriage :P behind the station is a goods yard/loco yard

and another shot, mess on the platform is left over from a photography small world project...which involved highlighting news issues - I chose obesity and the images involved a grim reaper, large people, and giving the station the name 'obesity central'

see how messy I am :)

a view of the quarry and the tunnel

I'm not quite sure about what I can put in the right hand foreground, I had thought a goods shed maybe...but would one have been on the mainline though :/

I'm really not sure about the colouring of the scatter in the quarry, anyone got any other ideas?

security fencing added to the branch terminus...not sure about the 'wibbly wobbly' approach I had to fencing :P

kennyGWSR

Re: QBR (Quarry Bank Railway) ~ Quarry Bank 00

Postby kennyGWSR » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:19 pm

nice layout there!!!! good mix of locos and loving the wobbly fence haha. keep up the good work!!!!!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 pm

more piccies

the canal, made up of layers of varnish

close up of the quarry area

ooo security fencing lol

the canal...again

need ideas of something to do with the bare bit of baseboard

main station area, needs a lot of work, hoping to get a raised town area above the station with a tram line on - oh look a flying pig

weathered pacer...not sure how good this is...

again canal area...not sure what to put onto the wood - either brick paper or I have a stone sheet thing

the lock gate....i bet its on backwards or something :P

N15 'Etarre'

and a T9

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi
Great - Really like the canal shots for something different.

Mac

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 pm

dougalmac2 wrote:Hi
Great - Really like the canal shots for something different.

Mac

my 2nd attempt, I had tried pva but it dried and then went white after a few days... this one is made up of layers of varnish, unfortunatly the canal is deeper by the gate than at the front as the canal section slopes back :(

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm

id leave the canal sidings as wood, you see a lot of canals with wooden planks holding the clay in place. its not that unusual at all.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 pm

wow....so mcuh stock!!!!

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Matty-37688

Postby Matty-37688 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Looking good :) Have yo say i like your 142 :D looks great!, And your water looks very realistic :D

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 am

that canal boat is out of the ertl thomas and friends range!! :P
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:22 pm

hiffano wrote:id leave the canal sidings as wood, you see a lot of canals with wooden planks holding the clay in place. its not that unusual at all.

yeah I am, thanks :)

trainsandco wrote:wow....so mcuh stock!!!!

Ben

yes there is : 16 tank locos, 19 tender locos, 11 diseasels :)

Matty-37688 wrote:Looking good :) Have yo say i like your 142 :D looks great!, And your water looks very realistic :D

thanks :) bought it for £40 2nd hand, it already had people in, but there was a clear difference in the shades of yellow used which were supposed to be the same colour, so I used chalk pastels to disguise this.

kennyGWSR wrote:that canal boat is out of the ertl thomas and friends range!! :P

yes it is :) £1.99 i paid for it lol

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Like youre canal it is very realistic especially the lock gate reminds me of the ones around Brum and Blackburn where i used to live.Also the weathering on the pacer is good.Did you do it yourself?
cheers
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Like youre canal it is very realistic especially the lock gate reminds me of the ones around Brum and Blackburn where i used to live.Also the weathering on the pacer is good.Did you do it yourself?
cheers

thank you for your kind comments, I'm not sure where to the lock gate came from....

Yes, the weathering I have done myself, crushed chalk pastels (brown tones) applied with a brush and sealed with hairspray.

right more pics

this is basically the rear of the layout

sorry about the absolute mess :oops: need some ideas as to what I can do with the bald bit of baseboard?

more mess :oops: this was a detailing and running in session line up

I need some advice here, along the back wall I would like a high level townscene with the railway running beneath it and perhaps tram line on the raised bit, what kind of material would be best for this 'structure' and how should I secure it? shall i secure it to the wall etc? also how to support it?

points to access the branch terminus have jammed :(

my latest purchase :)

and my baby :D

bought this at the Hartlepool show last year, although im not too sure as to what class she is :P

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:12 pm

35011 GSN wrote:sorry about the absolute mess need some ideas as to what I can do with the bald bit of baseboard?

tidy it up? lool make it into an isolated village? maybe....

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi is that the ol sad eyes Hornby 29 diesel i spot there :) I think they are no longer available but i maybe wrong.
cheers
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:35 pm

trainsandco wrote:
35011 GSN wrote:sorry about the absolute mess need some ideas as to what I can do with the bald bit of baseboard?

tidy it up? lool make it into an isolated village? maybe....

Ben

lmao, I would but.....oh i cant think of an excuse :P

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi is that the ol sad eyes Hornby 29 diesel i spot there :) I think they are no longer available but i maybe wrong.
cheers

yes, no longer available - got it 2nd hand for £35 :) runs really well actually

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”