Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby ElDavo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Question: How much ballast does it take to complete 2 boards of N gauge track?

Answer: Too bloomin much!

I decide I wanted to get the ballast completed so the last few days I have used up every spare moment doing bits and pieces of ballasting. Can't do more than 30 minutes or so without it doing your head in so there have been a lot of sessions but IT'S DONE!!!!!

Some sections were even done twice because some twit forgot to lay in the PVC cable ducts under the pointwork before ballasting. Doh! Had to dig out some bits and fit them. The pointwork still looks a bit of a mess as stray paint needs cleaning off but this won't be done until I've applied some rust colour to the rail sides. Another fairly tedious job that has to be done.

As the weather is set fair I might even take a trip up to Water Orton tomorrow to get some photographs of bits of buildings and other details I can't find on the web.

Cheers
Dave

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm

A super layout - the track and scenics are particularly effective.

G.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm

More progress though less than I would like. Spent some time building a small structure then decided it didn't look good in its intended location! Some of the rail sides have now had a slop of rust colour and terrain forming has started on board 3. The flat area will be a car park.

The platform has had a touch more paint and some edging textures added. I had to go out and buy a new printer for the PC yesterday because I couldn't get the results I was after out of the existing beast!.

The odd splodge of rust colour on sleepers will hopefully be hidden when the track has had a couple of weathering washes.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Lunch break today saw the terrain forming pretty much completed for board3. When this mass of PVA and kitchen roll dries out it will need a coat of neat PVA to ensure it is sealed and to strengthen it. Then it will be time for grass etc.

Not sure what I'm going to do in the corner nearest the camera. It's turned out as a bit of a lunar landscape which doesn't really match any features at Water Orton!

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:28 am

Before I can smother the fourth baseboard in PVA and kitchen towel I needed to do a bit of rough surgery to the trackbed and rough out some structures. There isn't much room for features to hide the holes in the sky at this end so I'm looking to draw the viewers eye away from them somehow.

A riverbed has been inserted and a rough outline of one of the two bridges I need has been assembled from bits of plasticard, 5mm ply and cardboard. This is supposed to represent a concrete bridge when complete and is only roughly dry assembled here to get an idea of what more is needed. The bits have subsequently been blasted with a coat of sueded effect paint to act as a base concrete(ish) colour.

Cheers
Dave

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 am

Great work here Dave. Can't believe how good the track looks actually. A good example of how n gauge can be work more succesfully than OO.
Will you be having a few structures on this layout aside from a station building?

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22 am

GROTLAND wrote:... Will you be having a few structures on this layout aside from a station building?

There will be a few but I'm fairly limited on space. What I don't want to do is get it looking crowded as the prototype, although actually in a town, has an open feel to it with almost everything masked by trees! I do need to create a small parade of shops to go to the right of station buildings and there may be a few residential properties. May even stretch to some (extremely) low profile houses and warehouses along the backscene. Some innocent plasticard may suffer as a result of my efforts. :wink:

Cheers
Dave

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:49 pm

I really like your thoughts on ballasting. In my first attempt at ballasting my layout I did a 2 foot long section in the 'traditional' way, laying the ballast and then using water/glue mix, but once it had dried out and was hard, it looked shiny and looked more model like then real life. I think I will try your way out when I get around to doing my small layout.

I also have to say I don't know how you do it, making your own N gauge track - I bow down to you sir! :D - one excellent looking layout if I do say so myself.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Yesterday saw a trip up to Oxford to visit the 2mm Scale Association Golden Jubilee Expo. Some excellent modelling on show from micro layouts to truly huge efforts. On return I was of course inspired to get on so out came more bits of cardboard and plasticard to rough out the second river bridge. This was duly sprayed in suede effect paint and installed then it was time for more kitchen roll and PVA glue.

With boards 3 and 4 connected you can see the basic shape of the countryside emerging. Board 3 has also had its "chocolate pudding" coating of a layer of neat PVA and a coat of raw umber acrylic.

With all the PVA and kitchen roll in place, albeit still a mushy wet mess in places, the line of the river can be seen. Unfortunately this currently looks more like an alpine stream than a lazy winding Warwickshire river due to the excessive depth of the riverbed and the severe lack of space! It remains to be seen whether I can disguise this to make it look more appropriate.

The view under the bridges is a bit difficult to get but luckily the crudeness of the construction of the smaller second bridge is obscured by the first bridge, also rather crude. Must fix that pillar that is out of true and attach it to the bridge rather than having it hanging in mid air!

Onwards and downwards. Might waft a bit of grass at board 3 next.

Cheers
Dave

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi Dave

Some brilliant work here. I'm following this as a masterclass. I love the look of your trackwork and like to see it before rust, ballast etc hides the work.

I'm fascinated to follow someone who produces results as fast as you do, I'm a slow plodder.

Keep this up

Mac

champion

Postby champion » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Always looking at this thread to see progress as i like to see others work that i did,nt get round to doing.That ballast work is very good and wished i had done this as on my layout the pics show really poor unreal trackwork.
Keep up this fine work and thanks for showing.

cheers

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:34 am

Ditto to all ofthe above comments - I am really impressed with the ballasting you've done and the overall effect. If I read right, I like the idea of 'painting' PVA between the centre sleepers and applying smaller amounts of ballast rather than applying ballast and then the traditional 50/50 mix. Did you use the same method with Cramdin Yard? I am also really taken with the way you have also contoured your scenery with the kitchen towel and pva method. I was thinking of using the plaster of paris-type cloth, but seeing your excellent work is making me re-think - Thanks for sharing your expertise!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 am

Eastern wrote:...Did you use the same method with Cramdin Yard? ...

No, for Cramdin I used the traditional technique of laying the ballast dry, spray wetting everything then adding dilute PVA with a dropper. It worked fine for OO but when I looked at the results in N it looked too rough and I was unhappy with it. It's something I've noticed on other N gauge layouts and detracts from the overall look of the track (IMHO).

Using Klear polish instead of dilute PVA was better but the varnish still accentuated the rough surface of the ballast. By painting PVA between the sleepers and then pressing ballast into it I was able to get a much smoother look to the ballast and in my eyes it improves things considerably.

Cheers
Dave

P.S. I use kitchen roll and PVA for the landscape because I'm a cheapskate. It's also extremely light.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:22 am

Got a ton of other stuff to do that should be taking priority but for some reason I can't stop working on this layout. Although the hayfever season is coming to an end I'm still sneezing but that is due to the static grass! Quite a lot has been applied to boards 3 and 4.

It's just a general green base to work on made up of a mixture of different fibres applied fairly randomly. Some of the colours are a little bright in places and may need toning down but hedges and trees will be added in due course which will change it. I've also started laying out the roads, pavements and a car park using Scalescenes stuff. Not sure whether it will work yet.

The platform has been glued down and bedded in but this has highlighted a potential issue in that it is really too short for what I envisaged. It will take a 2 car unit, just but I may have to invest in a couple of 153s for stopping services and relegate everything else to through trains. The problem stems from the fact that I pinched a bit of extra length in laying out the Eastern end to make it look better and now I have had to compress the Western end further. Oh well, all layouts are a series of compromises.

Cheers
Dave

MrK

Postby MrK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 am

Excellent work - a real inspiration to start on my own layout! And thanks for the continuing updates, I've been visiting regularly just to see if you've posted something new. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”