Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby Eastern » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Yet again, I am amazed at the detail and keep having to realize it's N Guage plus the professional set-up for the exhibition. I really must try and see some of these great railways/layouts next time I am over in the UK.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Shaun Mac

Postby Shaun Mac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Hiya,

Read this thread in it's entirety the other night - and it took all night I can tell you - and I have to say I have found it quite inspirational.

In fact, I have decided to "borrow" your idea to have one of the ends of the layout disappearing behind the scenery to the fiddle yard via a footbridge and hedgerows/trees rather than the all-too-often-seen tunnel! :wink:

Not sure if my own layout will turn out a swell as this one though.

SM

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:22 pm

As I have just had the confirmation docs for Waton's next outing (June 2/3rd at DEMU Showcase in Burton) it's probably about time I tackled some of the snag list from its first outing. There's also quite a lot to do in terms of scenery and titivation. Five weeks should be plenty of time, gulp!

The far righthand end has always been very incomplete and so I have been working on a road bridge to try and disguise the exit to the fiddleyard. Cliched or what? No bus on the bridge (yet!).

Quite a lot of greenery has been added in terms of trees and bushes to break things up a bit. Not sure whether I like it yet though. The fencing on the bridge is bits of brass wire soldered up and the road and pavement surfaces are from Scalescenes.

This is actually quite a tricky corner to sort out as the original challenge plan has left me with some nasty tight corners to hide. I could go mad and rip up the track and re-lay it as with the fiddleyard boards there is scope for exiting at a much straighter angle on the Leicester route. Not a job to tackle 5 weeks from a show though.

I also managed to knock a couple of electrical gremlins on the head today so I seem to be making progress!

Cheers
Dave

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm

I went back and had read through this topic from the beginning. Amazing and I am glad that it has been resurrected. Looking forward to updates.
All Aboooooard !!

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Great to see an update to this Dave. Nice job on the road bridge. One of Oxford's new National Express coaches would look good on here!

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Waton coming to DEMU? Well that's made my mind up - I will definitely be there!
Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:51 am

Great updates Dave

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Gratuitous loco shot alert. One of a number of photos taken for an article on Waton that is in the June edition of British Railway Modelling. :)

Cheers
Dave

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri May 04, 2012 9:43 pm

There is nothing wrong with a gratuitous loco shot in such pleasant surroundings 8)

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri May 11, 2012 2:35 pm

A few more gratuitous photos. These are all "spares" from the BRM June edition shoot.

A Voyager passes Westbound through Waton platform 1.

Empty and full GBrF coal trains passing.

EWS seem to be repositioning some of their loco stock!

A long view of the station looking from the West.

The driver of a vintage Morris Minor van struggles to find anyone to ask for directions.

Oliver Cromwell hauls a steam special en route to Birminghan New Street holding up the freight workings.

Cheers
Dave

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Wonderful photos Dave. I particularly like the Voyager shot. I had to look twice to see if it was a model! I see those EWS 66s are the Dapol ones. Do they run ok together around the curves or do the buffers clash? I've tried running Dapoll 66s together but they've always derailed on the curves, even my 4th radius as the buffers were locking.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri May 18, 2012 4:50 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:... I see those EWS 66s are the Dapol ones. Do they run ok together around the curves or do the buffers clash? I've tried running Dapoll 66s together but they've always derailed on the curves, even my 4th radius as the buffers were locking.

To be honest I never run the 66s in multiple, it was a staged shot! I have some very sharp curves off scene so if you have problems with buffer locking I'm guessing I would too. The running qualities of the Dapol 66s varies hugely. Some of the later models run very smoothly whilst some of the early ones run like a bag of nails. Although the early ones are noisy they seem to run well enough in terms of reliability and low speed once they have been given a bit of a run to get them moving.

I try to give all my N gauge stock a bit of a run before the start of each exhibition day to get them warmed up and running properly. Without this some are really sluggish. Seems to be the same for both Farish and Dapol stuff. Maybe some of them need a strip down, clean and re-lube.

Cheers
Dave

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 pm

I've been put right off the earlier Dapol 66s as I've had three and all were rough runners. In contrast my DCC-ready 66 is a lovely runner and has done sterling service in Colas or EWS guise. The only ommission on the later chassis is the day/night mode which I thought was a nice touch on the older Dapol 66s, but seriously outweighted by the poor running.

fonzi123n

Postby fonzi123n » Sun May 27, 2012 7:10 pm

this is the best lay out i seen all the work u put in it relly good if mine ends up halfe as good as this i will be happy
well dune
i cant fix it its not worth fixing

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 am

Grey/Brown ballast is so old-school don't you think?

Prep work for DEMU Showcase in Burton on Trent this coming weekend has involved giving operators some clues as to how to drive the fiddleyards. Hence the rather colourful paintwork. It's part of a colour-coding scheme to try and help folks differentiate between the different areas/uses for the fiddleyard and to ease finding the right road. With 15 parallel(ish) tracks and no markings it was a bit of a challenge.

The control panel now has graphics (of a sort) that match the colours. The 4 green roads on the left represent Derby, the blue area holds trains that only travel Westwards from Leicester towards Birmingham/Walsall, the red area holds passenger multiple units that can go anywhere East or West (in theory) while the yellow area on the extreme right holds 3 trains that only travel Eastwards from Birmingham towards Leicester.

There are one or two little features that don't quite fit the simple model just to cause a challenge or two. The righthand green line can only be used in a Westbound direction so usually holds a freight of some kind while the righthand blue line is used to receive trains travelling to Walsall which have to traverse part of the Eastbound (yellow) area and part of the shared (red) area. Simple innit?

Hopefully this will help folks to get a grip quickly as I am short of operators and will have to impose on the goodwill of show organisers etc. to "spell" me this coming Sunday.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”