Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby ElDavo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Bit more progress over the last few days. Pretty much all the trackwork on board 3 is now in place. Just need the bridging pieces to board 4 but I'll have to build the final turnout before I can sort that out.

This overhead shot shows the general layout with a wide gap between the line to Derby at the top and the middle road, delineating the location of the platform. On this board any resemblance to the Water Orton track layout is pretty much lost due to the severe compression required.

The pointwork comprises the 3 turnouts built on the workbench and a pair of catch points built in situ. These will effectively be operated as a pair of crossings and point motors are in place underneath. One can just be seen peeping out!

Decision time again. Do I build the final turnout and sort the transition to board 4 next or wire up this little lot? Have to see how the mood takes me.

Cheers
Dave

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Simple stunning work fellow! My bear hands could never manage such finescale work :shock:

Keep it up, i wanna see more! And maybe pay you to work on my layout.... :wink:

Cheers,

Rob

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:45 pm

looking great, progressing very well

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:52 pm

The decision was made. Spare time in the last few days has been taken up with wiring board 3. Wiring up the first couple of boards was quite interesting but it's getting a bit tedious now as it's all just more of the same. Four point motors installed and a bunch of wires going in all directions.

It is organised and there is a system honest! Each of the Conrad point motors is wired to a bit of tag strip to simplify matters in case one has to be changed out due to failure. Of course when I took the pic I carefully selected the one for the catch points so there are actually only 3 connections as there is no frog to switch. Spare cable is wound up and hot glue gunned to the underside of the boards out of the way.

All the pairs of feeds for the different track sections along with the point motor circuits are run back to another bit of tag strip where any commoning up or other shenanigans can be dealt with. There are a lot of spaces here as the colour light signals haven't been installed yet. From the tag strip essential "off board" cables are run to a D shell socket mounted on the rear of the board framing. Simple really.

Next up is definitely running the track across the join to board 4. Well definitely assuming I don't get inspiration as to how to build a free-standing control console or decide to build the platform and/or station building!

Cheers
Dave

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:48 pm

I've not heard of Conrad point motors before. I just did a quick Google and came up with a supplier and one thread on another forum, so I can see they're similar to Tortoise - but they certainly don't seem to be a popular choice. So out of curiosity, why did you choose them? (I hope that doesn't sound like a rude question, it's not meant to be) :)

Thanks

Mark

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:27 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:I've not heard of Conrad point motors before. I just did a quick Google and came up with a supplier and one thread on another forum, so I can see they're similar to Tortoise - but they certainly don't seem to be a popular choice. So out of curiosity, why did you choose them? (I hope that doesn't sound like a rude question, it's not meant to be) :)

Thanks

Mark

I'm a glutton for punishment and just have to try something different. Oh and they are cheap, just over £4 each.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

I've just about had enough of track building I think. I really enjoy it but the last bits feel like they are turning into a chore somehow. Most of the track is now built and fitted on board 4. This includes the last of the points, a B6 right hander, and the main lines to Birmingham. Only the branch to Walsall to finish off but that includes (probably) another pair of catch points. Haven't quite decided whether the catch points will fit without looking too cramped. I'm also trying to fit in another scenic element on this board but I fear it may not fit.

Here's an overall view of the Western end of the layout with boards 3 and 4 hooked together.

Onward and upward, still a huge amount to do. I really should cut some holes in the sky at this end sometime soon otherwise things really aren't going to work very well!

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Whoopee, all the track on the scenic area of the layout is now built, laid and wired! As the sun is shining I thought it was an excuse to assemble all the parts and see what it looks like. Here's the view from the Western end over the newly laid track on boards 3 and 4.

From the other end it looks a bit different. Gonna take a while to get it all up to this state. :?

Putting some rollingstock on and looking at it straight on the trains look awful small even if it is only 10 feet of layout!

In fact the EWS 66 nearest the camera is hauling 8 TEA bogey tankers. This train is just a smidge too long to hold in the goods relief line and still let another train pass behind it and run to its right into platform 1. Looks like 6 or 7 bogey wagons will be the limit for this. Of course the train could be longer it's just that it will block the crossover to the East of the station!

Another 66 is approaching from the West dragging some cargowagons coming in from the single track Walsall branch and about to pass through platform 1 and head South. In platform 2 a Central Trains 170 is sat waiting and will proceed to Derby.

Of course you can always take shots that make the layout look more complete like this one of the 170 heading off to Derby.

Too much to do.

Tip of the day: Don't leave a layout with trees made from wire and hot glue out in the sunshine, the trees will start to wilt!

Cheers
Dave

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 pm

ElDavo wrote:Of course you can always take shots that make the layout look more complete like this one of the 170 heading off to Derby.

What a lovely looking 170, Looks very familiar :lol:

I'm loving the layout so far, really tempting me to build my own track.
Keep up the excellent work

Ollie
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:39 pm

olliereading1123 wrote:What a lovely looking 170, Looks very familiar :lol:

Settling in very nicely too (along with it's friend!).

Cheers
Dave

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Looks familiar to me too, since ollie bought it off me in the first place! :P

Glad to see its got a good home!

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Well Dave,i have been watching this and well....

it's bloomin' amazing!
Your modelling skills show how good N gauge can look, and make the most (if not all??) of us"N' gaugers" feel unworthy :lol: :wink:
If i can ever make my layout 1/8th as good as this, i will be a happy guy :wink:
Keep it up mate,
Ste :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Bit more progress. All the track on boards 3 and 4 has now had a blast of Halfords grey primer followed by a dousing with Plasticote Suede effect paint. The sleepers around the pointwork have also been hand painted with raw umber to make them look a bit more like timber. Ballasting has started largely because I have found that the glue I've used to lay the track doesn't like hot weather and comes unstuck! Getting a goodly dollop of neat PVA and some ballast is now somewhat of a priority.

A basic platform structure has been knocked together from bits of plasticard and this has had a blast of the Plasticote suede effect to give the effect of a tarmac texture to the top surface. The sides have had Scalescenes brick texture applied. Blowed if I can get my printers to print out the brown brick in the right color though so I have done some after market adjustments to the colour with Carrs weathering powders which have then been sealed with Testors Dullcote. Here's a closer view of the works. Bit of a mess at present.

These odd bits have appeared as well...

Lots to do...

Cheers
Dave

Jack Middleton

Postby Jack Middleton » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 pm

You're not building the Berlin wall are you? kiddin' mate, I don't have a clue what they are :? In scale size they're about 5 feet high according to the ruler there for scale.

Fantastic layout, it looks excellent! :D

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:24 pm

'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”