Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DonB

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby DonB » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 am

bigbob - That was atrocious. I thought my puns were bad... :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a minor volt somewhere... :oops:

(volt = fault... geddit?!)
Last edited by DonB on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:15 am

peak wrote:
Oh and then there is the issue that my prototype control panel only delivers volts to half the layout

What does it deliver to the other half?

Currently nothing!

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:53 am

Time to crack on and fill in some of those gaps with buildings. In the real Water Orton there is a parade of shops by the junction with Minworth Lane and Birmingham Road. I took a couple of shots of these on my reccy visit...

Hardly the worlds most startling architecture but it is what it is. I can't fit a fullsize model of this into the available site so some compression is required. In fact by the time I make things fit the best I can say is that I will have a building which is loosely based on this.

First up build a basic box out of card and plasticard. This is the rear view which will mostly (I hope) be hidden by trees and bushes etc.

This is then given a covering of Scalescenes brick papers (well at least the front has been so far!). Not quite as simple as it could be as there are two colours of brick so a section of cream coloured brick was cut to the size of the front of the building, overlaid on a sheet of brown brick paper then the sections of brown brick were cut through both layers at the same time. This rendered some brown brick panels that fit exactly the holes in the cream brick section. These bits were then glued with PVA to the carcass.

When gluing the paper on I spread a thin layer of quick drying PVA on the carcass then let this go tacky before applying the brick papers. If there is too much PVA or it is too wet it will soak into the paper and smudge/blur the printing which, being just computer inkjet ink, is not waterproof.

With the basic brick texture in place I added a bit of card for the overhanging bit above the shop fronts then went to work on the computer with Paintshop Pro and The Gimp. From my location photos I cropped out individual windows, adjusted the perspective and printed them to the right size for the model. These windows were then glued one by one to the brick paper with Pritt stick. There's also a panel of pebbledash finish that was added along with the 4 windows in it. Additionally a thin strip of card was cut and window sills were trimmed from it and glued below each window. Tedious job but necessary (I think!).

The whole lot was then given a blast of Testors Dullcote to seal it. So what does that result in?

This is how it looks on the layout. The site needs adjusting to fit it better but I think I'm getting there.

Cheers
Dave

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Overjoyed to see you working your magic in N Gauge... Giving me the itch to get some work done on mine again!
Beautiful detail in this layout.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

dpr59

Postby dpr59 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

I've just been through this thread and I'm now suffering from that somewhat common problem

Ambition over ability.....

The effects here are great, nice one.
Live life to the full, it's a one way street

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:22 pm

The parade of shops has progressed a fair way in the last couple of days. All the shop fronts and windows have been added plus roof textures. In addition the chinese restaurant on the end has been completed. I need to tidy up a few bits, sort the wobbly windowsills and give it a blast of matt varnish to seal things then I can get out the paintbrushes. Just to confuse things this building is named "Station Building"!

Cheers
Dave

champion

Postby champion » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:44 pm

This is excellant modelling and something i wish i had done on my layout.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:39 am

That's fantastic modelling! :D
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:41 pm

I think what is amazing is the detail considering it's N Guage - I find it difficult enough with my banana fingers in OO :roll:
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 pm

The site for the parade of shops has been modified to make it fit better and I've had the paintbrushes out on the building itself. It needs a few details and some toning down with weathering powders in places but it's almost good enough. Here it is plonked in place temporarily.

It's a tight squeeze as is evidenced by the rear view. There's also a lack of detail from this angle but as nobody will ever see it...

This simple building seems to have taken a lot of hours to get to this state so I am questioning my sanity in taking on this challenge. Maybe I should have done a bit more of that planning stuff other more organised folks seem to so.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 am

Attention has turned to the station building now. This is a rather distinctive element and the prototype is in a shameful state of disrepair. I'm aiming to emulate that somehow. The basic white plastic box has now had facades added and all has been covered with Scalescenes dark brown brick paper. Getting the details right on this is going to be tricky and a little time consuming I suspect.

Here's a view of the basic building in place on the layout. Some fencing and greenery has been thrown at the area surrounding the bridge to start to pull things together (hopefully).

The view from the car park.

Onward.

Cheers
Dave

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:15 pm

You've done a great job on those shops, they look so realistic.

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:28 pm

I have to say WOW.

I'd never thought about building my own track in N, or your ballasting method! I was never happy with the finish.

Great progress on the layout, I'm glad the river turned out ok, and looks great.

Keep it up,

Ryan.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:59 pm

More work on the station building today has resulted in a fair amount of progress. It's still a bit rough and ready but the main part of the building is now textured which is a big step forward. I took a trip up to Water Orton a few months back and took some photos of the buildings etc. Here's some of the ones I've been using today to create textures for the building.

I'm no photographer so these shots are a bit on the slant and the exposures are a bit uneven. I managed, with several hours of tinkering, to create the necessary textures from these using my favourite image manipulation tools. So here's a repeat of the earlier shots of the building plonked on the layout.

Looks a bit different!

Cheers
Dave

champion

Postby champion » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 am

Stunning no other word for it and shows what a run down building is like.Very good work there.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”