Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:16 pm

It was great to see Watton at Warley. My wife was with me this year so I said to her "take a realy good look at this layout, I'll show you something later". So when we left it was out of the back gate, and a sudden left turn before reaching the motorway, over the speed bumps and "ooh it's those shops, wow that's the station". We did sus out one of your compressions, you took out the middle row in the station car park.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 pm

nathan9117 wrote:...Your track plan on the main scenic section is pretty interesting simple but interesting how would you mind if I took a couple of ideas from it and used them on my currently blank 00 gauge layout...

Of course not. Go for it.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Bufferstop wrote:... We did sus out one of your compressions, you took out the middle row in the station car park.

Rumbled! No pay loo in the car park either.

Hope you recovered from the scrum that is Warley.

Cheers
Dave

nathan9117

Postby nathan9117 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:06 am

ElDavo wrote:
nathan9117 wrote:...Your track plan on the main scenic section is pretty interesting simple but interesting how would you mind if I took a couple of ideas from it and used them on my currently blank 00 gauge layout...

Of course not. Go for it.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks very much Dave :) I look forward to making progress I currently have a 12' x 2' blank canvas to work with. Cheers Nathan.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:33 am

Waton is due out to the Andover exhibition this weekend so if anyone from here is about feel free to come and say hello.

I realised I hadn't updated this thread for a while and so developements just prior to Warley are missing!

At Warley the Waton fiddleyard had sprouted some rather strange 5volt catenary!

There is now a gantry at each end of the fiddleyard with one of these mounted atop...

These are RFID tag readers and arrivals/departures information was one of the things I had in mind to implement but not yet. Primarily these are being used as part of a sound system. Each of the trains on the layout is equipped with a 12mm glass tube RFID tag that allows it to be uniquely identified whenever it moves out of or into the fiddleyard. Here's a schematic of the system as it stands today...

Rather than trying to fit a DCC sound decoder and speaker to all these somewhat small N gauge beasties I have implemented a sound system on my laptop PC which feeds speakers under the layout. The route setting panel described earlier also includes a voltage sensor that allows the Arduino controlling things to measure the output of the DC controller used to drive the trains. It also has serial connections to the RFID readers at each end of the fiddleyard.

The Arduino sends a message to the PC, via a serial interface over a USB connection, whenever the throttle output changes, an RFID tag passes under one of the readers or when a route is set or cleared. A piece of software written in Java runs on the PC and listens for these messages. Using the information received the program is able to decide what train is moving on or off the scenic section of the layout and what sounds to play. For each train type a number of different sound recordings are used to create the effects of different speeds and behaviour. For diesels currently an 8 notch model is used with sound clips giving prime mover ramp up and down between 8 different engine run levels.

Using the route setting information the system is able to cope with simultaneous train sounds so that if a train is left in the goods relief line or one of the platforms and is passed by another train the stationary train will have diesel idling or hissing and spitting sounds while the moving train has the full range of sounds. Anybody visiting Warley over the weekend may have noticed a bod hunched over a laptop keyboard coding all this stuff and debugging it while others ran the trains! All good fun.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:45 am

Waton is on a trip to the far north this weekend to Railex NE. If anyone is visiting the exhibition at The Quorum business centre Newcastle please feel free to drop by for a chat.

Cheers
Dave

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:04 pm

ElDavo wrote:Waton is on a trip to the far north this weekend to Railex NE. If anyone is visiting the exhibition at The Quorum business centre Newcastle please feel free to drop by for a chat.

Cheers
Dave

It will be good to see this layout 'in the flesh' - looking forward to it.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:06 pm

It's been ages since I posted anything here but today I have been tinkering with the layout as we are due out to the Farnham and District MRC exhibition at Aldershot next weekend. Not done all the boring things like cleaning yet but having fun adding a few more road vehicles and people.

Whats going on here?

Somebody is having a bad day...

Somebody needs to get on to the council about clearing up the rubbish around the recycling bins...

I doubt anyone has ever noticed these two blokes tucked away behind the station building...

The fire engine? Must be to deliver water to Oliver Cromwell...

Anyone coming to Aldershot feel free to drop by and make yourself known.

Cheers
Dave

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Nice to see Waton is going strong. Your sound system is ingenious, but reminds me why my PC is at the other end of the house and points and signals are all mehanical.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Bloody lovely bit of modelling! I really am impressed with EVERYTHING on here. The Cromwell cameo is brilliant. The rubbish looks anything but and the electronics packed in are a thread in themselves. Are there any videos of the layout about?

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 am

Love to see the updates on Waton - one of the quintessential NRM layouts!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi there,

Great to see Waton going strong. I am glad I dipped in to see this!

Cheers

Ben A.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:36 am

It's all been said but I wanted to add my thanks for a superb informative thread. Thank you.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

mickster04

Postby mickster04 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:05 am

I recently saw a youtube video of this station https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQthdnNGOkw and was inspired, only to find someone else has done it, and not only that but such a good job of it I don't think I want to try! A truly magnificent piece of modelling with the engineering to go with it! I may well steal some ideas from the track plan for a layout of my own, but I just had to say, really impressive work! Glad I found this thread!

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks for the compliments. There's always room for more models based on Water Orton. The range of stock and traction in that 1992 video almost make me want to do it all again! Almost!

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”