Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby ElDavo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 pm

It's Grrrrrrrid time!

It was probably long out of service by 2010 when the layout is supposed to be set but there was never really any doubt I would have to have one.

Runs rather nicely too. Time for the dirty brush I think...

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Manky cameraphone shot but 56018 is now available in grubby!

Pretty impressed with this model. Still running nicely and hauling reasonable sized trains without the slightest problem right down to crawling speed and it's quiet.

Cheers
Dave

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Superb. Got my eye on one of these to go with my EWS HEAs. Might need a few more HEAs as well though.

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:37 am

Wow what a difference a coat of grime makes 8)

Very nice looking loco,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Jon37686

Postby Jon37686 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Dave,

Great layout you have here just been reading thru your pages, i've always liked n gauge but trying to stick to oo now! :) love your rolling stock and the dirty grid looks the part will be following this one :wink:

Cheers, Jon.

wales01man

Postby wales01man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Dave
I have spent the last week looking at you layout its fantastiv looks better then the real thing if my n gauge layout is 1% s good as this i will be suprised i am in awe of you what on earth do you do for a job you must be the best at it

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

wales01man wrote:Dave
... i am in awe of you what on earth do you do for a job you must be the best at it

Thanks for the compliments. I'm retired and I am quite good at it. :)

Cheers
Dave

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:31 am

Hi Dave - normally I do not like (nor even comment on) N gauge layouts, mainly because propriatory track looks just wrong. This on the other had looks fabulous, everything in perfect proportion and superbly detailed. I honestly thought that this was finescale 4mm/ft when I first saw the photographs.

Well done sir.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Waton has been packed up and stuffed in a corner of the workshop since its last outing in August last year. After an exhibition I tend to have a serious lack of motivation to do anything with the trainset so this is all parr for the course. As the layout is due to be at the Epson and Ewell show towards the end of next month I thought I better unpack it and set to on the "snagging" list.

I have had more problems with the cheapo Conrad point motors not throwing fully on several of the fiddleyard points so the first job was to change the actuator wires to something a bit thinner. As the points are all Peco with the over-centre springs removed having thinner wires shouldn't be a problem and the motors should throw all the way over more consistently.

After doing this I spent (too much) time faffing around looking for a short circuit and a resolving a dead section. The dead section turned out to be a poor connection to a D shell socket and the short was due to the naff switch in a Conrad motor. I should never have used these cheapo things! It's been repaired now and all seems to be OK. If I was doing this again I would use cheapo servos instead. I may yet replace them all.

One big issue that has been a constant source of grief is the double flat crossing in the fiddleyard. This is built using cut down Atlas code 55 crossovers.

There are two major issues with this scheme, the crossings are fairly course and stock bumps through them and the lead in curve is too sharp. It probably gets down to 9 inches or less radius on the inside and I am running an HST with the power car propelling a dummy power car and 7 coaches. We probably get a 75% success rate with the HST running this route. I've even had to modify the Farish 170s I run to get round the curve. All in all not good enough.

After a bit of tape measure work I think I can modify the set-up to get an outside curve radius of 14 inches with an inside radius of over 12 inches. I will need to do a bit of baseboard tweaking which is simple enough but the real challenge is that it will need a double flat crossover on a curve i.e. custom trackwork.

Oh well what the heck. How difficult can it be?

I've sketched out a crude template suing Traxx and stuck it to a bit of ply then whacked down some copperclad sleepers. What's the chances of me getting the gapping right on this first time?

I'm going to have insulated/dead frogs to save having to switch things as most of my stock is long enough and has enough wheels to bridge the gaps (I hope). Some arbitrary lengths of Peco code 55 rail have been added. I could have used code 40 bullhead of which I have loads but I thought it might be easier to connect to the rest of the fiddleyard if I used code 55.

Long way to go yet.

Cheers

Dave

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Now that looks VERY interesting - wish it had been slightly higher magnification
still I'll be asking questions later .......
I have never made any track, yet there can be so many bespoke requirements.
Suppose I need to plunge in and get it wrong a few times ?
Anyway on '00' I'll be able to see it !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Those of a nervous disposition or an engineering bent might want to look away at this point. A bunch of code 55 rail has been soldered into positions similar to those on the template. A couple of wagons seem to run OK(ish) through the complex and there don't seem to be any short circuits. It might just work (with quite a bit of tweaking).

There are as yet no check rails so I need to do some work with plasticard to rectify that. The 2mm association copperclad sleepers are pretty flimsy and the insulated frogs are pretty tiny so to reinforce things I've squidged 5 minute epoxy around the place. With this done the whole lot has had a bath to neutralise the flux and soak the sleepers off the paper template.

Next up will be a bit of cleaning up then electrical bodgery and some testing. If things actually run across this lot then it will be time to modify the baseboard and look at installing it.

Cheers
Dave

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:39 pm

I am looking the track work with my iPad and can really zoom in on the intricate work you've done- not for the faint-hearted at all (including me!) nice to see an update from Waton. Did the colour of the water under the bridge ever change; I know when you applied the PVC(?) it streaked somewhat. Just love all the detail as well. Anything new in the pipeline?
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:05 pm

I once made something similar in 00, two 2foot radius curves crossing each other as they led into up and down fans of storage sidings. (there just wasn't the room to simply lay them side by side). I built it with no two pieces of rail soldered together, filled the four intersections with "plastic padding" then opened out the flangeways with files and a burr in a rotary tool. It worked remarkably well even though some of the old Triang wheels bumped through it on their flanges. All of the insulating gaps were cut after assembly, and the four short running rails around the diamond were connected to the approach rails with wire links between the sleepers they were mounted on. Your finger tips have my sympathy.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 pm

ElDavo wrote:Waton has been packed up and stuffed in a corner of the workshop since its last outing in August last year. After an exhibition I tend to have a serious lack of motivation to do anything with the trainset ........

Trainset!?? :o ........tsk tsk. Its a work of art.

Excellent work in build of your crossing Dave. With the rail soldered to the sleepers. When wired up, wont the current short circuit from 1 rail to the other via the coppercladding?

Or is copper cladding not copper? As in nickel-silver rail has no silver in it & is actually copper-nickel rail.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:21 pm

StevieDay wrote: When wired up, wont the current short circuit from 1 rail to the other via the coppercladding?
Or is copper cladding not copper? As in nickel-silver rail has no silver in it & is actually copper-nickel rail.

That's what the insulating gaps are for, each sleeper has a gap cut in the copper cladding (a few strokes with a file). It gets a bit tricky in the middle as there may be more than two bits of rail on a sleeper. If you need an extra gap after assembly it's the cutting disk in the "Dremel" and a light touch as youonly want to remove copper not plastic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”