Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ElDavo

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby ElDavo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 am

Odd small bits of detailing being added so no great revelations. A lot of time is going in to producing trees, more trees and yet more trees! Here's a rather more substantial specimen which has appeared.

Doesn't look quite so large when seen in an overall view.

The station building and surroundings have been getting some attention as well though this cruel close-up shows there's still a lot to do not the least of which is to stick the bloomin' wallpaper back on!

Onwards...

Cheers
Dave

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

ElDavo wrote:Image

I love this photo. All it needs is to be super-imposed over a hill/sky image and you could claim it's a real railway!

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Dave

Your trees are superb. Are you scratchbuilding them or off-the-shelf?
If they are scratchbuilt, any chance of a tutorial next time you make some?

Dave

EDIT: Many apologies! I have just read your whole thread again and found the tutorial on page 3. Sorry.
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

peak

Postby peak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:27 pm

I just love those tree's.
The layout is looking very good.
I think this may end up in a magazine as well!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Well that's definitely not a tree out of a box and plonked on a layout :)

That first tree in particular is a prime specimen.
What I like is the ground seems to undulate from the upward pressure of roots, and the bare patch of earth around the base of the trunk lends greater realism still.

Good work Dave.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm

In awe as usual Dave - love how this layout is coming together and the depth of field with those excellent trees and foliage. Methinks this will proably be in print at some point! :D
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 am

Oh no, more trees! This time it is a bunch of conifers created from old air filter material. On a recent tea drinking visit to another modellers abode I was presented with a lump of gash stuff with the imortal words "that's gotta be useful anit!". What "it" is is a used industrial air filter carefully washed and dried by aforementioned modeller. It looks to be some sort of polypropylene fibre in multiple layers. Gotta be useful for something!

So then, hack off a sort of circular lump of said air filter element, skewer it on a bit of florists wire then tease out the layers to form a sort of kebab.

Splurge some UHU glue along the florists wire then squish the layers back together(ish) into a sort of conifer tree shape. Trim off the florists wire and you have...

The you can either soak the whole lot in diluted PVA with a dash of Burnt Umber acrylic then sprinkle on the scatter material of choice or soak it in brown acrylic and add the scatter using hairspray/spray mount. Biggest problem is it takes ages to dry whether you use dilute PVA or just paint as it really acts as a very efficient sponge. Eventually you get something like this...

The trees have been planted near the back of the baseboard to disguise(ish) a join. You can see the hedgerows have been getting the dilute PVA treatment!

From the other direction they tend to blend in to the general green mismash...

I think they'll work quite well. I probably need to create 2 or 3 smaller lighter conifers to round it out (maybe).

Cheers
Dave

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Wow thanks for that great step-by-step. It just goes to prove ANYTHING can be re-used by modellers.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:10 am

I really need to get on and knock together a couple of buildings and a bridge but as ever I've been drawn to fiddly details (sort of). More greenery has been sorted out all over the place and I've finally got round to finishing off Minworth Lane road bridge with capping stones etc. Also it's had a splash of mucky browny black colour to darken the overall brick colour. The highways deparment has insisted that the zebra crossing needs belisha beacons!

Lots to do...

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:49 pm

People are starting to appear at Waton. Of course as there is a railway line the first to arrive were bound to be the spotters!

With their cameras all set up they seem to be waiting for something but I can't imagine it is this shed running light engine!

I can now state with authority that painting 1/160 figures really is hard work! There may not be many folks in evidence on this layout!

Cheers
Dave

timon220

Postby timon220 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 pm

And at us in the country for shootings in territory of railway station can arrest :)

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 am

Some cracking photos there. The bridge is a very good piece of building. I like the trainspotters idea. I notice that Farish are soon releasing a trainspotters figure set soon. Did you scratchbuild the cameras?

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:... Did you scratchbuild the cameras?

Yup, 'fraid so. They are simply a bit of thin insulated layout wire (7 strand) stripped. Three pairs of copper strands twisted to produce the legs of the tripod, the last reamining strand stuck out at right angles to form the handle and the insulated bit trimmed down to produce a small camera blob on the end. The strands of the legs were tinned with solder to make them a bit more rigid then a spot of paint an there you have it. :)

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:09 pm

The detailing silliness(?) continues. I decided the people of Waton needed a station clock so they could tell how late their trains are running.

I fear that close-up is a little too cruel. Either the vandals have been in or the shelter has taken a knock and the glazing has warped due to me spraying hairspray about the place to lock down foliage. Arghhhhh!!!!!

Cheers
Dave

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Needs a bit more evidence of fire damage Dave, should look the part then! :D
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”