Waton - N gauge challenge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: Waton - N gauge challenge

Postby Eastern » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:15 pm

That grass certainly makes all the difference and has completely transformed the whole scene! -anyone noticed how the rapidly fading 'white' streaks give the impression of a shadows from the bridge supports? inspirational as ever!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:40 pm

... anyone noticed how the rapidly fading 'white' streaks give the impression of a shadows from the bridge supports?

I thought it looked more like strong undercurrents: There should be a warning sign 'Bathers beware!'

Either way, coming along nicely :)

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:03 pm

From the amount of white PVA in evidence it is clearly good growing weather...

Cheers
Dave

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 pm

W.O.W, the greenery really makes a huge difference. it looks good.

Stew
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 am

That is a quality looking picture there, dare I say it but

"Cool layout", "Keep up the good work" and "How about some updates" for good measure.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

champion

Postby champion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:17 pm

That river looks good to fish in and now dry you must be pleased with it.Scenics look fab aswell.Look forward to seeing some trains running on this.Well done.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Been on me hols for a week so no progress modelling wise until yesterday. More foliage added around the river with a couple of trees planted and a splattering of different scatters. Still lots of white PVA in evidence at the moment.

One of the biggest challenges I've been working on is that some plonker built the baseboards with the riverbed running pretty much straight from back to front of the boards. So how do you hide the entry point of the river? It occurred to me that I could make it look like the river emerges from a curve from right to left of the viewer. A whole bunch of lichen has been sacrificed in the process but I think I've managed it now and with the addition of the larger trees it's difficult to see where the river emerges when looking from a normal viewpoint.

If you resort to a bit of image manipulation to hide the hole in the sky you can get some quite pleasing shots.

Need to knock up a couple of larger trees to disguise the holes in the sky. A job for tomorrow I think as I have a day of uninterrupted modelling time demonstrating stuff at an open day at Bursledon Brickworks.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Not a great deal of progress in the last few days as I have spent some of my modelling time on prepping Cramdin for an exhibition in 10 days(!) time. I created a pair of handrails for one of the river bridges, only took about 4 hours! The other thing I have done is to try and disguise/hide the holes in the sky at the Western end of the layout near the river. Decided not to use a bridge or tunnel but to try and use trees. It's impossible to completely hide the holes but I think this might be a workable solution at least for normal viewing angles. There's always Photoshop for the tricky angles.

Cheers
Dave

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Like the idea of disguising the exit/entry with trees instead of the ubiquitous tunnel! Starting to look really effective and I like how you sorted out the river! What kind of backscene will you be using? The current colour gives the impression of a hot, thundery late summer afternoon!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Eastern wrote:... What kind of backscene will you be using? The current colour gives the impression of a hot, thundery late summer afternoon!

The backscene will stay as it is now. Difficult to capture on a photograph but actually it's a light blue at the top grading down to almost white at ground level. Created using an airbrush and too much time!

Cheers
Dave

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:41 am

In this months edition of Model rail there is an article on photographic backscenes. This layout is screaming for one of them.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:49 am

sishades wrote:In this months edition of Model rail there is an article on photographic backscenes. This layout is screaming for one of them.

Photographic backscenes can be very effective but are also (IMHO) very difficult to get just right. No plans for one at the moment but we shall see.

Cheers
Dave

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:50 pm

After a somewhat busy weekend at the Kernow show with Cramdin Yard this morning it was time to unload the car and sort out the garage. Cramdin has been put into cold storage for a few months so I can more easily work on Waton. It's now rigged on trestles at what will be display height (I think) and highlights just how much needs doing.

Very much in evidence are the blank patches and the fact that there are no buildings. Oh and then there is the issue that my prototype control panel only delivers volts to half the layout so far! There is no way this will be complete by the deadline but I'll see what can be done.

Cheers
Dave (Currently in search of energy)

peak

Postby peak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Oh and then there is the issue that my prototype control panel only delivers volts to half the layout

What does it deliver to the other half?
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Amp Sandwich :D

I`ll get me coat
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”