OO Gauge Loco shed

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dougalmac2

OO Gauge Loco shed

Postby dougalmac2 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi All

My target is a Loco Shed to display locos on. I want a layout loosely based on Stafford shed in the

1950s because that was where I did my spotting and it had all the facilities to make it interesting

(coal,ash, turntable etc.). I'm working at a very slow rate but have made a start with a 2' x 1' board

with 6 tracks, 4 of which will be to a very abbreviated version of an ex LMS louvre roof shed. The

original 5c had 6 roads and was about 4 times as long but the idea is to get the impression. (I've not

tried to insert images on the forum before so I hope this works).

The shed building will cover the left

hand side of the middle four roads, is under construction at the moment and is a big learning curve.

Must do something about those wagon loads.

The next stage will be to incorporate this section into a larger layout to include the rest of the yard but knowing the speed I work at that will take some time.

Mac
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iankemp

Re: OO Gauge Loco shed

Postby iankemp » Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! Great work so far. Best way to start take your time and don't try and rush it as it could spoil it! Bit by bit always works! You will be able to incorporate it in to your layout with no trouble!!! You have given me an idea what to do with one of my boards!

frolly

Postby frolly » Sun May 30, 2010 3:41 am

nice job, liking the inspection pits, do you have any step by step photo's?
Frolly from Derby

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys,

Sorry frolly, didn't take any step by step pics other than this one -

as I didn't have any intention of publishing. The pits were made from plasticard, were then glued into the slots and a layer of cork used to bring the surface up to he level of sleepers. The rail was soldered to pins as can be seen. This has the disadvantage of loosing the chairs and having a non-scale pinheads but I can live with that. Couldn't find my old track gauges so improvised using Peco sleepers, which worked OK as various bits of stock have been run through without problems. I didn't realise at first that some of the pins were longer than the thickness of the Sundeala, but gave an advantage that I could solder feeds to them without drilling holes for wires. Each line is in three isolated sections as I dont intend using DCC.

I'll get my camera out and take some pics of the shed building just in case anyones interested.

Mac

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Sun May 30, 2010 10:05 pm

looking good, look forward to seeing this progress

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Guys

Just wanted to post an update on my baseboard. I partially completed the shed building - just needs capping stonework, centre pillars, a roof and a few touches.

Then I saw the new Bachmann release - both together.

Can't make my mind up if I'm choked or pleased. It looks pretty good to me but not at a price I would want to pay.

Mac

frolly

Postby frolly » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Great job.

keep posting the updates
Frolly from Derby

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I think you're doing a great job.

Out of interest, what is the width of your shed? It looks better in proportion than the Bachmann one.
I was looking at the width of the Bachmann shed, and at 304mm seems a bit wide, I was wondering what track centres they are using.
I am building a 6 road shed that works out at 352mm wide, based on 52mm track centres.
A few years back, just before Aintree shed was demolished, I measured it out at 11' 6" (46mm) from outside wall to centre of first louvre, and 13' 0" (52mm) centres between the rest.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks again guys.

Free_at_last - I took my dimensions from a diagram in 'British Railways Engine Sheds [N03] London Midland Matters' by C Hawkins and G Reeve, Published by Irwin.

This worked out at a distance between the walls of a 4 road shed as 49'6". This gave a 4mm to the foot size of 198mm and I've just measured mine at 197 so I'm not too far out. I couldn't find a measurement for clearance from the top of the rails in the entrance but worked it out from the drawings at approx 15' and mine is 63mm.

I hadnt seen a base size for the Bachmann product - but 304 would be about closer for a 6 road shed as mine is 203 overall. I have a photocopy of the page from the book but I'm not sure if I could post it on here legally, maybe Raider can give us guidance on this.

I shall wait with bated breath to see one in the flesh.

Mac

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:51 pm

From Bachmann site, July/Aug 44-050 4 Road Engine Shed 304 x 100 x 404

'British Railways Engine Sheds [N03] London Midland Matters' by C Hawkins and G Reeve, Published by Irwin"
Forgotten I had that. Along with LMS Engine Sheds 1-7, an excellent series of books.

I am not sure how I am going to proceed with the roof, it looks good on the Bachmann shed.
I was thinking of constructing it on a sheet of perspex that sits on the smoke troughs and roof beams similar to how you have done yours, so as I can lift it off to gain access to the inside.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Pete

Snap! I also was planning a removeable roof, must be because I'm worried about recovering stalled locos. The beams on my shed are two lengths of 3/16" spruce with the top one resting in locating slots above the other. I then planned to glue a thin layer of plasticard on top of the beam and fix troughs, ducts etc onto that so the roof can belifted out on the beams. Making 4 sets of smoke ducts and 24 louvre units looks a big task and I'm toying with the idea of moulding then in resin. This is something I haven't tried before so it may be a try with plasticard first.

I don't like to knit-pick but the main problem with the Bachmann roof is that the louvred ducts are not offset as in the originals. This can be seen in quite a few old photos and is quite visible in this view I found while browsing Google Maps (like I do). Its about 5 miles outside Chester so I assume its the original 6A. I didn't know any louvred roofed sheds still existed - should be a listed building.

Mac

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Sorry Duplicate post
Last edited by dougalmac2 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm

I've made myself dizzy on Google Maps trying to find that view.
My mouth is drooling, can you tell me the nearest road?
Pete.

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi Pete

Its the B5129 Saltney Ferry Rd., Saltney Ferry, just South of the railway, off the A5194.

Mac

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Excellent, I did not know that was there.
It was Mold Junction.
An interesting snippet... Mold Junction turntable being reused
Last edited by Free_at_last on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”