Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
fratton

Re: Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Postby fratton » Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 pm

WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS PICTURES OF AWFUL SOLDERING!

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri May 20, 2011 3:26 pm

first track laid and tested,,,

The DCC bus is working fine, and although im testing with an old farish controller everything is working fine, but ive only laid two lines for 1 metre and ive already used 20 droppers :o

ive had a loco running on it, amazing how entertaining it is to get the first rail movement, now need to hurry up and buy the rest ofthe points (about 4-5 to go)
and get some more flexi track in,,,,,,,

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm

MY GOD, that soldering is aweful ;-)

good to hear it's working.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri May 20, 2011 4:00 pm

yer its bonded it resists flexing, but it looks reeeeeeeal ugly,,,,, good job its very much in the non scenic area,,,,,

to be fair before i restarted my hobbie the only soldering i had done was making solder balls in school, towards the end my joins were much cleaner and less knobbly,,,

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Fri May 20, 2011 4:08 pm

nothing a bit of ballast won't cover :-)
good bit of practice too.
Looking forward to seein this shed layout progress.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm

More track down today,

and a little vid of my latest addition to milton yard running tests on my bus droppers working,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZepW_DWZX1c

Coming along well but with my local model shop recently shut down i will have to go further to go get some Flexi track as i only have about 10 inches left,,,,

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sun May 22, 2011 3:07 pm

fratton wrote:Coming along well but with my local model shop recently shut down i will have to go further to go get some Flexi track as i only have about 10 inches left,,,,

Which shop was that?

Agree with the other poster that this layout is going to be great when its completed I'm looking forward to seeing it develop
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Trainsandboatsandplanes in bognor regis, they sited crippling parking charges as a reason for shutting up shop, they still operate online selling a motor conversion kit for peco 00 turntables and other things, there has been a mention about them maybe opening up away from the town centre if the right premises are found,,,,

its a shame because although they would order in code 55 points which would mean a wait, they had the code 55 flexi there and ready and a good range of N scenic items,,,

i hope they do come back because although i mainly shopped there for adds and sods but its good to have a local modelshop,,, ( i have guagemaster just round the corner in ford but thats not the point)

Tank

Postby Tank » Sun May 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Very impressive, and I like what you've done for the entrance to your shed. :)
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Had a little potter around in the shed today,

put down the station stopping bay and some of the continuing frieght line and wired up the bus wires and tested them,

Have placed some rail down to visualise the exit of the non scenic area to the yard area and the sidings,

A general overview of where we are, yet again next week will be ordering more flexi to keep up with demand :(
havent the current financial ability to buy in bulk,,,,

Couldnt resist putting my 50 on the rails before it goes back to the workbench for final weathering and sealing and the front dummy coupler attached,,

and my new 08 seems to have derailed spectacularly, first seeing this photo i thought "oi who left it on its side!!!????" then realised it was me :oops: :( :roll:

fratton

Postby fratton » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:14 pm

another wee update,

My little boy takes alot of my non work time so i am working in dribs and drabs as these micro updates show,

today managed to fit the first of the point operating rods, im using GEM control WIT for point operation but have drilled for point motors should i get brave at a later date,,

have started laying on the yard side of the board and i am just a few sets of points away from having bought all the point work now,
and the main line has extended round as far as im willing to take it for now and most of my efforts will be to lay the outer frieght line and the maintinance depot done,,,

auricom

Postby auricom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:05 pm

fratton wrote:WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS PICTURES OF AWFUL SOLDERING!

Gotta say thats still better than mine will be!! :D
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

fratton

Postby fratton » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:39 pm

My soldering has improved greatly since i started, i had to re-arrange the bridge and add an extra line across it and the soldering took half the time and was twice as neat and no less effective,,,

ive found clean surfaces good solder and a well looked after tip worked well,,,

i still avoid soldering if i can,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Managed to get out to the shed today,

my midweek wood delivery turned out to be an end of week one which delayed things but i have got the big end surface down on the frame and secured it down and have made a start on clading the inside with board along with a layer of poly insulation board,,,

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:29 am

This really is amazing stuff. Combining two of mans greatest achievements, model railways and garden sheds. Hats off sir!
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33379

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”