Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
fratton

Re: Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Postby fratton » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:03 am

Been doing a little work the last few days, been painting the to be grassed areas a nice brown and getting some ballast down too,,,,

also i completed the first of what will be 3 scalescenes tunnel portals on the layout, it all went together really easy despite looking a tad confusing when first looking at the printed sheet,,,

its had three coats of artists spray varnish and ready to plonk down,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:52 pm

The starts of platform 2 appeared today, made from scalescenes printed on A4 label and simply stuck to card,,,
i also completed the ballasting in the sidings but didnt take photographs, and as seen i put the backboard in on the window side (station side)

the whole lot will be dust sheeted over in a few days when i paint the backdrop sky blue while i figure out what im doing, (ie photographic painted clouds etc)

mrjamestrain

Postby mrjamestrain » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:07 pm

very nice fratton
owner of 73136 ,
73136 is in electric blue and is on the mid norfolk railway
million numbers

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:27 pm

we have grass,,,,,,,

tested my noch/gaugemaster puffer bottle on a patch of earth today and i quite like the results,,, some lighter dryer grass colour will go on now before fixing with hairspray or the big tin of artists varnish i have,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Tried to make a tree today and for an experiment it came out really well, its flat backed as its against the backdrop,,,

they were made using the method in octobers railway modeller, i wont post the method until next months is out (railway modeller availible in all good newsagents :) ) but when i make more soon i will definately post an article on how they are made,,,

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Looks great !!
All Aboooooard !!

amsie

Postby amsie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Fratton,

Great layout and a great project.

Can I ask where you got your VEP ends from? Did you know TPM do VEP ends in N gauge??

Paul

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Thankyou,,

The ends were from BHE, I'm going to use the TPM for my next project which should involve motorising rather than a dummy, and then after Christmas the CEP should be out and alot of third rail units should be operating,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Have put in the concrete base of the traction depot over the course of the last week,

started with household wall filler poured into a frame of 3mm plastistruct square rods pined out to frame the area to be filled

sanded down twice until i was happy that the rail hight was protruding,

then painted with green scenes textured cement paint (i swear its actually cement it dries just like a sand and cement mix)

then rubbed down again with sandpaper and any bared patches repainted and rubbed in with finger

finally the rails checked for clearance and cleaned with IPA and fine wet and dry sandpaper,,,,

next job is to clean up the areas around the concrete base and mark out some lines for painting, and clean off some mess that got on the surrounding lines...

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 pm

fratton wrote:then painted with green scenes textured cement paint (i swear its actually cement it dries just like a sand and cement mix)

Nice result Fratton, I tried this myself once but using slightly different method; I mixed a mid/light grey acrylic paint with filler to do the job, I've found the Tetrion brand of ready mixed filler to give a nice result as it spreads easy without drag.

Similarly, I do suppose you could mix the GreenScenes textured paint into whatever filler the same way, rather than painting on afterwards, as to reduce sanding & re-applying paint to white area's.

That set of mk3 coaches look rather splendid in one of your video's in a previous posts :D

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 pm

The one thing about this paint is it goes down like sand and cement with no clumping, after I put the camera away I put some down to make a rough road from the traction yard to a plot that will become a permanent way yard, I'd thought of putting one in but decided to spur of the moment, will sand it a bit tomorrow and see how it came out,

Thankyou again for the mk3's those with my 47 are the pride of my fleet,,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 am

Purchased a nice second hand camera off ebay today and thought i'd give it a bash in the shed today,,,

Old and new,,, DCC class 47 next to an old farish 50 that if i cant source a replacement motor and get it run in for converting will be a static model only

My unpowered VEP enters the yard entry unlikely even when the layout is finished as this section will not have any 3rd rail but looks not bad for a photo,

My derilict brake van, the interior needs a dab of paint to stop the print on the opposite side being visible and the underframe needs something as its not very flash friendly,,

The VEP rounds the goods line, again wont be third rail supplied

in this last photo of the VEP sitting in the EMU stabling siding (well what will be) you can see the smeared on concrete paint that is going to form the rough road and yard for a perminent way crew, maybe even a portacabin or two!!

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 am

Double post :oops: :roll: :P

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:26 pm

with winter closing in most of my work has been insuring that the sheds walls have retrancted well and covered the gaps that the summer heat brought out, all is sealed and there is no real sign of damp through the last wet week which is good, with a bit of sealing hoovering up the summers dust and rubbish and my shed and milton yard are ready for the winter,,,

I have been doing some work on milton yard, mainly a slow process of ballasting and some grass going down, have to make the scenic tray that will go in the back yet then there will be no leaning over to sort things,,,

now for christmas to gather materials and hopefully some stock ready for spring, i will still do the odd bit of work when its dry as my lighting actually keeps the shed at a good temprature and i dont mind the cold much its just finding the time when it is dry,,,,

here's some pics of where my layout is at currently, the station end hasnt really changed,,,,

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:42 pm

An excellent amount of progress since I last looked in earlier in the summer Fratton.

I love the flowing lines of track & the MPD looks the dbs. Also great detailing on the 4VEP........ Am waiting for Bachmann to release these in n - gauge. :arrow: Adds em to xmas & birthday list. Im sure the missus wont mind :lol:

Your station looks like it'll hold 6 or 7 carriages. It's good to see platforms that can hold a near full length train.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”