Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lairadepot

Re: Milton Yard, split board in N

Postby lairadepot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:44 am

hi ya
one i can give you is to get brown sealant in a stube with the gun and go round all the joins were the parts of the shed meet
evens keep theo2at bay and also keps out the spiders
hope this helps
peter

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Shame you didnt plan it around the real Fratton station and area as that with a bit of modellers licence would make for a great layout
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:41 am

Well, demolition/salvage has begun on Milton yard,

Most of the track has been lifted and the points cleaned up, when i have my laptop running again all surpluss points and slips will be sold to fund the points for Milton yard 2.0

And will be able to put some progress pics of my weathering as I have done alot of dabbling with modelmates weathering liquid dye with good effect,

Once stripped the baseboards will become the floor of Milton yard 2.0's new home,,,,

fratton

Re: Milton Yard, split board in N (NOW 2.0 IN A SHED!!!)

Postby fratton » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Time for the Rebirth of Milton Yard!

I have had a long break from construction as the mobile nature of my first effort plus lack of space meant i could only work when the weather allowed (and the mrs)

the original boards have been ripped apart,,,

During my winter i had plenty of tinkering time, so out came the weathering materials,

I've decided to make a condemned brake van to sit in a siding somewhere,

and i'm slowly working on my 4-vep

and i have decided to buy a shell and see what i can do to it, as they are cheap on ebay, if successful i will buy a chassis to run it on,
so far a bit of scratch done detailing,

And here's a pic of milton yard 2.0 as it is today with 2 of the 3 baseboard frames in place, i have to make the end frames that support the bridge and get the 3rd bought and assembled,

I will have the insulating material soon and get that finished but so far my shed is nice and dry, (spent a rainy afternoon in there) no signs of damp which is good,
with my laptop running again i am burning away on xtrackcad and will have a revised plan for milton yard 2.0 ready soon,
Last edited by fratton on Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Fratton,
I very much admire the work you've done to that brake van, I think modifications like this make something all the more unique & adds realism interest.

Baseboards look very neat & well built too. I look foward to progress updates :)

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:11 am

well i've been tinkering with it for some time now and my class 50 is now ready to go pretty much,

tameraire is out st vincent is in with one end detailed a little (with trimmed back bogie for clearence)

might improve on the front end with some ploughs but well see how we go,

Bored out exhaust ports and a etched pixels mesh grill with roof repainted black

A little bit of grill grime and smudging and some general grubbyness near the bottom of the body and thats it!

My favorite angle gives the illusion of size even on an n guage model, will try this angle when i get rails layed,,

50035 Ark Royal

Re: Milton Yard (N) DCC (NOW VERSION 2.0 IN A SHED!!!)

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Excellent job on St Vincent :D only problem is it did not ever carry a black roof, so you would have been better of with Temeraire :lol:
Nice work on the duff and the 4 vep and love the weathering on the 37.
The brake coach very well weathered and highly convincing.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:18 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Excellent job on St Vincent :D only problem is it did not ever carry a black roof, so you would have been better of with Temeraire :lol: .

for now its staying as st vincent but im concidering name plates and re numbering, main reason i switched is the st vincent is younger (adapted for the old chassis) and had the cant rail already painted which i almost kept completely intact,,,

im not gonna be too prototypical really the layout will be third rail electric br blue 4-cep's early NSE era 4 - vep that im scratch building but im going with anything i like the look of really
will prolly have two 50's 37's 47's 08 and whatever catches my eye,,,

looking for something to pull my 6 mk3 buffered intercity swallow coaches
and once the RTR third rail stuff comes out there will probably be some time traveling 350's too,,

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 pm

fratton wrote:
50035 Ark Royal wrote:Excellent job on St Vincent :D only problem is it did not ever carry a black roof, so you would have been better of with Temeraire :lol: .

for now its staying as st vincent but im concidering name plates and re numbering, main reason i switched is the st vincent is younger (adapted for the old chassis) and had the cant rail already painted which i almost kept completely intact,,,

im not gonna be too prototypical really the layout will be third rail electric br blue 4-cep's early NSE era 4 - vep that im scratch building but im going with anything i like the look of really
will prolly have two 50's 37's 47's 08 and whatever catches my eye,,,

looking for something to pull my 6 mk3 buffered intercity swallow coaches
and once the RTR third rail stuff comes out there will probably be some time traveling 350's too,,

Fair dos the Farish chassis is very good and i can understand where you are coming from.
If you do decide to do it you have a choice of 50002/003/006/008/014/016/024/027/028/042/043/044/046/047 and 049 Br days and preserved
50002/008/021/031/042
Hope this helps.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu May 05, 2011 4:20 pm

small update!

with the third of my ModelRailwaySolutions basebord frames on its way anytime now i have got the timber in to sort the end sections that will be spanned by the lift out bridge, hopefully by next weekend i will be ready to thread the DCC power BUS through the frame and get the board tops sorted,

I've also measured the height etc, and it looks like I can fit a computer desk underneath the main layout to use as a workbench which is handy, few more weeks and my shed will be my little hideaway,,,

getting very close to looking like a railway soon,,,,,

Best hurry up and buy some more track!!!

fratton

Re: Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Postby fratton » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 am

My 3rd baseboard has arrived today (will be doing a little homage to the supplier soon)
So after some hydrotherapy for my son and playgroup visits I will make off to my shed later and get it installed and the box section on the end,,,,

The DCC BUS is ordered and on it's way so by next week I will have the frame and the bus sorted and ready for the top material to go on and get that all sorted (and replace the temporary legs with permanent more hefty ones)

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri May 13, 2011 5:15 pm

very productive lunchtime,,,

installed last baseboard and last box section on the left side of the layout so have a complete board bar the bridge (any pointers for the bridge anyone?)

all installed

and wires run through it,,,,

to be the site of the station, no sun gets to it so no worry about bleaching my scalescenes platforms or buildings once they are made,,,,,

looking to the bridge end

next job is to order the baseboard tops and get them sealed along with the rest of the woodwork,,,,,

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 am

Hi,

I note your shed is overlap construction. Have you done anything further to seal the shed, only I suspect you may find damp to be a problem if you haven't...

Regards,

Gronk?

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat May 14, 2011 11:06 am

Yer been in sealing it all winter, summer has brought a few more gaps but I'm gonna leave them until autumn and see what needs doing then I left some paper in there during the winter to see what happened and it wasn't too bad at all,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat May 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Managed to complete the woodwork for the bridge and put the first parts of the baseboard in place,,,

the bridge in place

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”