Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
fratton

Re: Milton Yard, split board in N

Postby fratton » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:54 pm

as requested i have a little step by step with my weathering, as i am a beginer myself when it comes to anything expensive i dont go too mad, i achieve it with tamiya weathering kits as i know that i can wash it off if i really mess up,,,

the loco for the treatment today is a class 33 fixerupper that took far less fixing up than i thought id need,,,

here it is out of the box,

heres a coat of tamiya rust colour with a wet brush looks really bad when it goes on but most of it isnt staying on for long

here it is after using some kitchen roll to take the rust colour off leaving it in the grills and the other picked out details, iv'e dabbled with leaving it on the windows and wiping off the details like where the wipers have cleaned it but i havent liked the look of the finished job,,,

then the same with some soot colour mainly on the roof to pick out the exhaust and dumbdown the rust colour left on the roof but a little on the sides and fronts mainly streaked very lightly,,, (i'm currently looking for something to pick the exaust soot out better on a black roof)

then pick out some details with blacks and rusts

at this point i would do the chassis but havent gotten round to it yet so i will post that in a day or two once i get round to finishing it,,,

here it is unvarnished as yet but it will be soon,,,,

not the most sophisticated method in the world but it makes a good result when view from normal distances and a macro photo isnt too cruel to it either

champion

Postby champion » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Lovely shots on your weathering a class 33.As with taking photos in n gauge i have noticed even in macro as seen on my layout does,nt always show quality.Did farish do the slim jim as a slim jim thou or is it a basic class 33.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

fratton

Re: Milton Yard, 9x4 split board in N

Postby fratton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

champion wrote:Lovely shots on your weathering a class 33.As with taking photos in n gauge i have noticed even in macro as seen on my layout does,nt always show quality.Did farish do the slim jim as a slim jim thou or is it a basic class 33.

richard.

im thinking its a regular as its quite a chunky girl,, wouldnt get through narrower loading gauges me thinks,,

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little bit of work done today,

would have done more but like wimbledon rain delayed start of play (a shower at lunch) then poor light stopped play,

The baseboard adjoining lines are lined up and look pretty good (we'll see when i run stock over them)

No extra sleepers in place yet and more than a few wires to be tackled soon, also tidy up the track bed a bit and start getting the rest of the main loop down

Hopefully get some more work done while the weather is good living in a caravan doesnt do well for working indoors,
we got some good news on the house front as my gorgeous baby boy is disabled and the council have been very helpfull in getting him the space he needs,,,

and please god a garage too (fingers crossed)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Small supplimental,

i got all the wiring for the power switches in place ready to be connected up, these will be to isolate the two DMU shed sidings
and for the isolated sections, ive got a sort of semi BUS system in play as far as the rails are wired up in a DCC friendly way but i havent ran the Bus round 100%
ive completed the bridge wiring between the two boards and shall be able to test run around the two main loops pretty much as soon as the rail is layed and i am happy with it,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm

with thanks to 0121modeller i have managed to gather a rake of mk3's which once recieved i couldnt resist getting them on the rails even if it wasnt on my layout as yet,,,,,

spot the farish hiding amongst the dapols,,,,,,

im hoping to pick up a dapol HST and a buffet car when they come out,, untilthen still running farish models

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:55 pm

That HST does look nice in the intercity livery.

How long is your station? will this beast fit on it?

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:07 pm

i'm doubtfull it will fit in its entirety i may try a slightly shorter rake, but milton station isnt a large station on my layout just and old branch station with commuter traffic the hst will mostly be doing through journeys, will have to size it up with its fiddleyard space aloted at the back of the layout too,

but i may just try and lengthen my station plans,,,,

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 pm

fratton wrote:i'm doubtfull it will fit in its entirety i may try a slightly shorter rake, but milton station isnt a large station on my layout just and old branch station with commuter traffic the hst will mostly be doing through journeys, will have to size it up with its fiddleyard space aloted at the back of the layout too,

but i may just try and lengthen my station plans,,,,

We all seem to get the problem that the station lenght is never enough!! as is the layout!
My platform has been extended twice already!

Duncan...

BIG DUNC
Last edited by BIG DUNC on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:05 pm

I can only manage a 5-coach 225 on my layout, and that's with a 6ft board, it's too short! :lol: :P :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:29 pm

I really didn't like the look of the weathering on my hst's looking at those photo's so I rubbed em down made it a bit more subtle and picked out the roof grills a bit,,,

A little light grime for the new mk3 rake but not alot just to blend with my more grubby stock,

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:31 pm

I can only wish that I could have a 6ft long baseboard - On my 4ft board, my station will be able to manage a 6 car (power car(s) included) but a 6 car train would look rather silly on the layout of my size, so I'm restricting things to 3/4 cars max, that is unless I can get permission from the wife to re extend the board with a removable section to tack on the end which I can lengthen the whole board

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 pm

fratton wrote:with thanks to 0121modeller i have managed to gather a rake of mk3's which once recieved i couldnt resist getting them on the rails even if it wasnt on my layout as yet,,,,,

Hi Fratton, Pleased to hear you recieved them so quickly :D ... , I only posted them yesterday morning :shock:

I had planned to run the Mk3's on a baseboard area of 9ft x 3 ft & regarding the size of station, I intended to have a "smallish" station with platforms long enough as to easily fit a 3 car dmu, the station having 2 island platforms which would take up an area approx 24" x 8" (4xtrack) inc ramps, the points leading each end was to be kept clear of waiting trains at platforms, so that takes up more space, so the loco hauled the mk3's would've just sped strait through a dedicated/vacant line of the station.
Basically. IMO a small station allows you to include lots of other scenery & keep it looking in proportion.

I really like the look of the last few photo's, as you've a higher level of track run, so a great excuse for you to model a couple of rail bridges :D ....,
As it happens, I've been out for most of today over Wolverhampton photographing a few, well err.., I got a bit too carried away with time & I almost forgot I needed to call at a post office for more parcels I needed to post out :lol:

Cheers,
Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:37 am

Hi Fratton posted some ideas of what you could do to your vac 50003 Temeraire in Large Logo on the Class 50 Model Railway photography section.
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:12 pm

cheers ark i just ordered the roof grill etch for the 50 so the roof wil need a painting anyway so black might be in order, ive been flicking through all the 5o pics of others models and real life the past few days,

today im actually working on my layout as the mrs wants me out of the way to tidy and theres nice but cold weather, but my 50 i think is going to be my rainy day project for the next few weeks i've already started collecting referance shots for the detailing and weathering seen some good grubby vent shots that i want to re-create but mostly the 50's stayed rather clean so wont be going mad like i did on my 37,,,

also i dont know if anyones done it before (hopefully they have so i can copy it) but the little hole in the chassis that lines up with the clear plastic lense for the headlight just seems too entising, as im going to add front end detailing and no coupler i think i might just have to sneak an LED into the front,,,,,

right gotta go cos the mrs is actually trying to get rid of me outside to do some work on milton yard for once so off i go :D

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:17 pm

fratton wrote:cheers ark i just ordered the roof grill etch for the 50 so the roof wil need a painting anyway so black might be in order, ive been flicking through all the 5o pics of others models and real life the past few days,

today im actually working on my layout as the mrs wants me out of the way to tidy and theres nice but cold weather, but my 50 i think is going to be my rainy day project for the next few weeks i've already started collecting referance shots for the detailing and weathering seen some good grubby vent shots that i want to re-create but mostly the 50's stayed rather clean so wont be going mad like i did on my 37,,,

also i dont know if anyones done it before (hopefully they have so i can copy it) but the little hole in the chassis that lines up with the clear plastic lense for the headlight just seems too entising, as im going to add front end detailing and no coupler i think i might just have to sneak an LED into the front,,,,,
right gotta go cos the mrs is actually trying to get rid of me outside to do some work on milton yard for once so off i go :D

Hi Fratton yes, you are right , the 50's in large logo livery were kept rewlatively clean that is why i rejected hard jeffs 50004 as it was only fit for scrapyard condition :lol: Why not go the whole hog and renumber to one of the better locos, nowt wrong with Temeraire it was generally reliable and a decent Vac but just bored the pants of me :lol:
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

champion

Postby champion » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Yes fratton
The L/L and NWSE farish 50s do actually come to life with a light beam fitted and is well worth doing.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”