Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
fratton

Milton Yard (N) V 2.3 Resurection Page 5

Postby fratton » Sat May 22, 2010 10:35 am

The original Milton yard has recently been dismantled ready for the building of Milton Yard 2.0 which is now located in my shed,

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27618&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

The start of Version 2.2 (2nd location, 3rd design) page 5
Last edited by fratton on Thu May 05, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

THE CHIEF

Re: Milton Yard, split board in N

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat May 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Nice! looks like quite an ambitious project. Being as its mostly modern stock will you be going dcc? Always nice to see a new n gauge layout. Good luck with the build :)

mike

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat May 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Looks like a good start - I like the fact it has two levels.
Lift out trays are a good idea: In N gauge it's difficult to work on details when leaning over a baseboard, much better to be able to lift things out and work at a desk or table.

Good luck and have fun :)

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm

thanks for the kind comments

i thought i would start at the same size as my old 00 guage layout (then added a foot of length) but i really didnt want a layout that was flat, i dont know quite how the gradients are going to look when they are finished but i have kept the raised section as low as i can but leaving space for a tray to sit and for loading clearance for the goods line hidden underneath,,

I'm still reading up on dcc at the moment im tempted just to stick with what i know but at the same time part of me wants to just go for it and go down the dcc line, im keeping an open mind at the moment but havent started with the track and electrics yet so i have time to decide,

currently the next jobs are going to be

get my trestle which the boards will be mounted on,

then get the alignment of the 2 boards finalised then start building the rest of the raised level,

start the outer tracks laying

inner yard and goods loop track laying

wiring as i go,,,

( luckily i have been buying up points and the slips for a few months so only need flexi )

as a time and money saver the pointwork nearest the operation point will be opperated by push pull rods scenicly hidden, point motors for the yard and for the non scenic siding to the rear,

its nice to be finally started, i have a box of pre made scenery kits where i spent half the winter unable to do any real work

hopefully will get some more work done tomorrow and will post my progress again soon,
as always all comments welcome

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:10 pm

have had to stop work on milton yard :cry:

my car desided to eat its inlet manifold ports (a common problem seemingly on fords)

ive got the materials do do a bit more work but i have no spending money for a little while :(

there will be an update soon tho cos i have eight days off so im sure i can find some time between stressing about geting the car back on the road,,,,

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi fratton, looking good! Big and ambitious! Sorry to hear about the ford... :cry:

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:17 am

well despite dentistry defective ford mondeos and more than a few birthdays to contend with,

i have managed a little more work,

Both boards together and the size of my layout becomes aparent (to distant moans of "your not bloody having that in the front room")

sizing up the next piece of raised section and getting an idea of size,,,

looking down what will be the station with the DMU sheds in the distance,,,

on xtrackcad i had guestimated 3 maybe 3 & 1/2 manyways sheds looks like 4 or 4 & 1/2
which will be nice for my 4 car DMU sets when i invest in them,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 am

while not strictly part of my layout progress as such a cracked out the rail match and weathering powders this evening while the missus watched her tv programs,,,

as you can see i like em grubby,,,,,,,, better than looking out of the box in my view,,,,,,

excuse the quality while the possition of the lense on the iphone lets you get almost to rail height it doesn't make for the best pictures,,,,,,

my 150 all dirty'd up even with the dab of the local gangs tag PHD chosen because its as close as the type of person who does that might get to one,,,,,

the first five of my rolling stock roughed up with oily bits where needed

an 08 which will actually be serving as scenery as a shiny replacement will be on hand to replace it!

and some dirty old hst units

fratton

Postby fratton » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm

have done some more work, what with alot of other things going on im working in drips and drabs,,,

thought i would start with the points at the station

and being a nine year old trapped in a twenty nine year olds body i had to get something running on the rails before i could clean away and pack up,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHfSl7S40E

if you can hear the sound i appologise i sound lake darth vader due to allergys at the momment,

so far there have been no problems which slightly bothers me cause something will creep up and get in the way,
im hoping to keep up the momentum tomorrow with any luck,,,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm

dmu sheds coming along nicely

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Fratton,
I very much like the engine shed(s) you've built, are they peco kits that you've modified ? ... i noticed the side steps to roof walkway & the side entrance for plant/machinery / forklift truck access etc, a nice touch of additional detail that makes a model unique in charector & so different from other models.

I'm just starting up a new N project myself , & so I'll be watching your progress for a few ideas & inspirations :D
Thats some nice & neatly done baseboard construction you've shown there also, best wishes for continued great progression updates.

Cheers,
Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:18 pm

yes they are the peco manyways sheds with a little bit of moddification, i visited the local model and craft shop and picked up a load of plastruct bits and bobs and some plasticard, at such a small gauge i didnt think it worth using a patterned sheet to represent the walkway so used plain,,,

at the moment im not sure whether i will be adding a forth shed to the length at the moment the front shed and the two back shed that were photographed are ready, im currently wethering them a touch for bleaching and such and will be adding drainage downpipes later today while the mrs watches her soaps,,,

visible through the side door should be a lifting jack or two a few maintinance crew and im not sure yet if im going to add maintinance pits or not,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:24 pm

bit more track down,,,,

and another test video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hDaXLsIqEg

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:43 pm

outer loop track laying on board 2 is done,

i've also extended the stopping platform line at thestation corner to the end of the board but the line will be buffered and there will be an overgrown disused level crossing with the old style gates and partialy covered over rails to make it look as if back in the pre beaching days there was a branchline leading off in that direction,,,,

the idea struk me from a layout i saw months back in a magazine i think i'll have a flick through and find the name of the person in question and give the inspirational credit where it is due!!!!!

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm liking the progress you have made on your layout Fratton - My 37/4 (well, now yours) will look good running around your layout, rubbing shoulders with your cl43's. Will be keeping an eye out on how you take your ideas further.

Out of curiosity, what sort of gradient is your incline?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”