My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
briantwigley

Re: My first layout

Postby briantwigley » Tue May 11, 2010 9:20 am

You have some serious space to play with there, I envy you :P

Can't wait to see some more progress!

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Been tinkering a little lately,

First of all, i've created a shed area, I'm not quite sure of the final layout, but in the mean time, my locos can at least stay on the track, and secondly, just a quick picture of a few locos. :)

More track needed methinks. Roll on the 25th and payday

craw607

Postby craw607 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Definately looking good I'm sure the time it takes will be worth it.
John

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Now that i am back from my holiday and have proper access to the internet i will try and get the pics of upgrading the peak buffer beam detailing info uploaded this week!!

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 pm

iankemp wrote:Now that i am back from my holiday and have proper access to the internet i will try and get the pics of upgrading the peak buffer beam detailing info uploaded this week!!

Can you take a quick camera phone video of it going round some corners, I think mine is catching somewhere (tightest curve is 3rd rad), I'd like to compare it to another similar one

Cheers

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

i have posted up the step by step guide pics with instructions under them on my thread!! at the min i can't do a video as i am not home at the min! just got back from Crete and am my girlfriends. the catching that you have discribed sounds like the bogie is catching on the underneath or even the body!

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks Ian,

Ill probably give that a try some time soon,

been a little busy lately, so not a huge amount of progress, except in the shopping department :)

The depot has been enlarged in order to accommodate the arrival of Port Line, Clan Line, and 213 sqn. The MPD department is taking on a distinctly Southern theme. At least the steam locos now outnumber the diesels :)

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm very slowly moving towards having the second loop ready. Im about 40% of the way around, and, thanks to my wonderful Girlfriend, now have a couple of extra locos for my birthday.

Hornbys City of Coventry, and a Bachmann Bittern. Bittern being my favourite loco of all time, after getting a chance to get very up close to her while she was at the NYMR a couple of months ago.

A quick video here, of the current state of play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Iv5BHG_SQ

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 am

Hello all

In a fit of self induldgence, I ordered myself a customised model from from TMC. Unlike others, who ponder deeply about naming their locos, mine was named after me :)

They have done a rather fantastic job, although the camera shows up every speck of dust on it, which I never saw as it was running about

I am rather pleased with it, as well as the work on the doubling project, which could easily be complete by now, if I didnt keep spending all of my cash on new locos :)

I am however over half the way around, and Ill soon need to look towards buying a second controller.

Its my aim to complete the second loop before the end of august, so I can run 2 trains at once

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:57 am

wow, I really like this layout...and loved the southern theme in some of those pics :D

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am

There is even more Southern-ness than before. I've been looking for a late crest unweathered q1 for a while now, and no where seems to have one. I asked the guys at TMC if they could find one, and they couldn't, but what they could manage, was to re-crest the easly version :) They said that they didnt use the same size crest as hornby, as they checked some pictures that they have in a book, and the hornby size crest was too large, so they fitted the correct size one instead.

I'll definately be shopping there again :)

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:18 am

wow :D looks good, sohow much does a TMC model cost these days? I know theyre quite expensive

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 am

The q1 was £80 for the model, and either £10 or £20 for a re-crest,

The a4 was, ahem, £185. It's £175 for a full custom model, and then an extra £10 for the etched brass 'Elizabeathen' headboard supplied and fitted.

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:01 am

It's been a long time since an update here, but there has been a little progression lately

I've finally managed to get the second loop installed, so I can now run 2 trains at once, giving me 2 loops, each just a smidge over 100ft in length

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td_dZdU0pTw

Im going to go up and take a few pictures this evening

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”