My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
NorthernMonkey

Re: My first layout

Postby NorthernMonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 am

Hi there,
Thanks for the replies. I don't know if I'm brave enough to start chopping up locos yet. Maybe later, it's not even run in yet :)

The trackplan is definately no where near finalised,

I'm considering having a double loop, with a higher level double track at the back, and the lower level double at the front. Unfortunately, the disadvantage of the larger layout, is how much more it costs for the track. Another 70ft of track is probably going to set me back about £100 :(

I'm thinking of a largish Station on the left, probably about 8 - 9 ft long, to allow me 1 loco with 5 carrages, then a more rural scene on the right, with a the front track running through fields, and the rear track with a viaduct and embankment.

Anyway, there wont be a huge amount of progress til next payday :(

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:Hi there,
Thanks for the replies. I don't know if I'm brave enough to start chopping up locos yet. Maybe later, it's not even run in yet :)

Altering the front end is so easy. all you need to do is to cut the buffer beam off the loco so the bottom of the front end is level. and then cut the coupling off so it is level. then all you need to is superglue the front end on once you have detailed it and leveled the bits of the back of it! (cut the bits of that protude the rear of the beam.) i have one to do so i will do step by step photos to show you how to do it! I am just getting brave enough to do the small detailing on the nose. The lamp brackets and the hand railings on the front!

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Photos would be excellent, thanks

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Quick question for everyone, and relevant, as I'm about to order some track for the second loop...

When was concrete sleepered track introduced, is it suitable for a layout based in '63

Cheers

NM

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:Quick question for everyone, and relevant, as I'm about to order some track for the second loop...

When was concrete sleepered track introduced, is it suitable for a layout based in '63

Cheers

NM

Yeh i think it would be ok as in Hornby magazine for this month there is a pic of a class 20 hauling some wagons with tracks on with concrete sleepers on and i think it is in the 60's!

I have taken the pics as i did a detailing peak but my internet is on go slow mode as it is a mobile broadband thing. So once i have got access to normal line internet i will sort it out for you!

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks.

Not much progress in the last couple of days, other than a bit of a tidy of the loft. All the pictures are of the tidy side, there is a fair bit of rubbish in the form of old carpet & random bits of wood from the last owners of the house. I'm going to take it to the tip after work tomorrow, and if Mr HSBC is agreeable, I might buy a box of concrete flexitrack

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 am

Hello all,

its been a little while since there has been an update, and there isnt a huge amount to report.

The main progress has been on greating somewhere to store stock on the layout, by extending the bottom of the layout a bit. This took a fair bit of work, as the loft floor had to be laid first, I'd previously only had the floor on the side of the loft with the layout on.

Its still only half done, so its been a lot of work to give me an extra 18" of layout space so far :)

And somethign a little more interesting, my favourite diesel, a class 20 :) seen here in a not very good picture

And here, at the front of my goods train, which, with the addition of a bogie bolster, is finially getting long enough to look a little more believeable. I'm quite pleased with it so far

Next stage is to work on the last bit of the baseboard, on the right, to complete the stock storage area, and then onto finalising and fixing some of the track

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Hello all

I've done a quick search here, and can't find any answers.

What is the maximum gradient I can create on the layout, and yet still manage to have a single loco pull a rake of 8 carrages, or an equivilent number of wagons (approx 25) up without slipping?

Thanks

Geoff

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Geoff

Great loft space you have there. I wish I had managed to use my whole loft space like you have.
You've made good progress in just a few weeks, so I think you'll be finishing your's well before me!
Keep us updated.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks, although I am a little worried I've bitten off more than I can chew with the size of it. The main loop is currently about 100ft long. :shock:

I've been in the loft for a few hours this evening, but haven't, as yet, taken any pictures, so Ill save the update for when I have

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 pm

For the gradient I would have it as shallow as possible, but even then certain locos will always struggle with a large load. 1:30 is often quoted as the absolute maximum, but there are certainly models out there that can barely pull themselves up such an incline. If you have the room I'd say go for 1:60 or shallower, 1:100 would probably be ideal for full length trains.

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Ouch, that is a little less steep than I had Imagined, as I want to climb 50mm

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:52 am

Just for comparison, Shap is around 1 in 70, Lickey claims the record for a passenger line at 1 in 37. Gradients become a problem if the loco is still having to pull its train around a curve when it starts on the climb. Transition from flat to slope and back again need to be gradual, particularly if running steamers. Long rigid chassis (4-6-0, 4-6-2) can end up rocking on their middle wheels. Diesels and electrics are ok providing there's some front to rear vertical movemnt.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Hello all

Its been a while since I've posted here, but I have been busy. No photos as of yet, but I have managed a crappy video from my camera phone, so Im very sorry for the quality. Ill go get the tripod and camera sometime soon, and take some proper pictures.

I've been working on an elevated section, which is the entire width of the centre section of the layout, 2 inches higher than the main board, with an incline at around 1:60 at its steepest point. It's taken me a lot longer than expected to build so far, and its still not complete, as most of the incline is not yet fixed in position

I've also invested in a rake (well a few more than a rake, I got carried away) of coaches. I intend only running 7 or 8 at a time on the layout. The Hornby Merchant Navy can manage 11 up the slope with a LOT of slippeage, and 8 more comfortably. 11 is no problem with a double header.

I leave you with my 2 very lo-fi videos for comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPVSH0JRuQ - Class 20 tackles the incline with a short goods train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQlsuftnr7w - Double headed up the bank

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 8:22 am

Starting to get the final shape of the layout sorted now, although there is currently only a single line, and it needs to be doubled up as soon as I can afford it, you can now see where the track will run.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”