My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
NorthernMonkey

My first layout

Postby NorthernMonkey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Hello all

Ive been reading around for a little while, and thought I'd post a few pictures of the very early stages of my layout.

I've been working on it for 3 weeks or so, just on evenings, but thats mostly been getting the floor down in the loft, and getting some lights to work.

Today, Ive almost finished the frame, and have started to lay a base down, but I've ran out of MDF board which I'm using, so you can see the right hand side of the layout has loft floor board down, so I can make a loop. (I've been up there 3 weeks, I want to see a train run dammit :) )

you can see the basic outline of how the layout is going to work, the 2 loops at each end are going to be for stock storage, and I havent got much of a plan of what is going in the middle yet.

This is the first model railway Ive had since i was about 10, so cut me a bit of slack, and sorry about the photos, Ive only managed to light up half the loft so far, so the bottom end with the loft boards is really dark.

I just got this flooring down yesterday. Still need a good tidy, and definitely some more light

Off to B&Q tomorrow for some more MDF. but the floorboards get things working today :)

This is the end with the decent lighting, the next job after getting more boards will be to light up the other end of the layout

Thats all for now folks. Comments Appreciated

craw607

Re: My first layout

Postby craw607 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi NothernMonkey
Welcome aboard the forum.
Your layout looks like it's taking shape and you have planned
where you want the track to go.
It will br interesting to watch its progress.
John

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:35 am

Hi NothernMonkey

Looks like an interesting project 8) i will be keeping a eye out for your progress.

I know how you feel i was waiting for one of my baseboards for over 2 months(they never turned up) :( in the end i created my own board' as i was so desperate to run my locos :wink:

Happy modeling look forward to the updates.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Hello again. A quick visit to B&Q after work, and a bit of time carrying wood up to the loft, and now the layout is looking loads better.

Just a couple of images showing the difference

Long shot here, you can see how the light drops off towards the bottom of the loft, there are only 2 bulbs for the bottom end of the loft and 6 for the top end. Thats going to be tomorrow's job :) I even managed to get my arm in the shot :shock:

Another shot exposed for the bottom end. Not much going on here. I might have to wait until pay day for much more progress

Cheers

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 pm

This is the problem with lofts; they are so dark! I've got plenty of high powered lights in mine but you still get shadows cast everywhere. In my loft i've been thinking of painting the dividing brick wall white, and perhaps coat the roof beams with some kind of white card to cover the black felt liner to improve light reflection in the room so I can hopefully use fewer lights.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm

luckily we have energy efficient bulbs now.

a dozen old style 100w bulbs would use well over a kilowatt, but a dozen energy efficent ones is a little over 200w, which can go on a single lighting circuit.

I've found where I have lots of bulbs at the top, I've dropped to 12w (60w equivilent) so its a move even light, but a little less bright. but the dark end has 20w (100w equiv) sticks as its so dark. Once I get the lighting im after, I should only need a dozen 12w ones.

I've been quite suprised how much light its taken to get it bright up here. When I first started, I envisaged a couple of bulbs in the middle, but I quickly saw that wasnt going to work, as I hate working in the dark.

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm

That's a lot of woodwork going on there mate :lol:

Well done so far, looks a nice long run, guessing it's OO gauge? Best thing if you're undecided what's going to go between the two loops is to either have a good look around at what others have done, or just place loads of track down loosely in various formations and see what you like the look of. :wink:

Paul

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 am

It feels like I've been hammering and sawing for ages, but its starting to come together a little bit now.

Its OO, and 27ft from one end to the other, with a total run of about 68ft. I need to work out how I can squeeze a couple of extra foot in there somewhere to give me a scale mile of run all the way around.

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Just a quick update.

First of all, Ive installed a few more lights at the bottom end. Not quite enough yet, but It's looking a little better.

extra lights

It's loads brighter now

And Secondly, the easter bunny has turned up a little late, bringing some more things that I dont need :) Keeping in with my early 60s theme

First of all is Hornby's Ottery St Mary, seen here at the front of a short goods train.

and secondly, is Bachmann's Peak class 'Ixion' seen here at the front of the Pullmann

Cheers

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi,

Going to be keeping an eye on this one. Looks you've made a good solid start with the baseboards.
Now you are into the 6 months of moving things around and changing your track plan every five minutes! Or was that just me?

Very envious of the space you have :evil:

All the best,
James

guinnesskid

Postby guinnesskid » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Wish my loft area was that tidy. Do you have the headroom to stand in there or do you have to operate from the hatchway?
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.

NorthernMonkey

Postby NorthernMonkey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Headroom is about 5ft 8 and im 5ft 10 so I've got a chair up there. I can't reach anywhere from the hatch

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:

Cheers

Ixion looks good with the craftsman Buffer beam detailing on! (Thats if you want to alter it!)

Just an thought i'd mention it to you!

BR125

Postby BR125 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 am

Nice looking layout and lots of space.......lucky devil! :D

Regards
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:47 am

iankemp wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:

Cheers

Ixion looks good with the craftsman Buffer beam detailing on! (Thats if you want to alter it!)

Just an thought i'd mention it to you!

Yes I too was going to suggest you detail the leading end :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”