Heritage Line Layout-a change of plan

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dan8400

Re: Heritage Line Layout Time for another update

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 am

Hi Bufferstop,

love this layout. Had a proper sit down and read your thread again. Can't believe I haven't posted on it before :shock:

Anyway, loving the modelling that you're doing. Lovely job. Also the house renovations look good too. Hope you keep the updates coming and hopefully none of your stock will be the victim of a Cat Attack!! :wink:

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Bufferstop

Re: Heritage Line Layout Time for yet another update

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun. In between a succession of retirement parties/big six-Os of friends and former colleagues, and helping number one son finally convert from a peripatetic chef into a home owning desk bound worker bee, I have found time to do a bit of modelling. About 12 months ago I {Delete] produced a model [/Delete] bashed out a likeness of Cadbury's loco No1. It was most definitely a quick job, being based on a Smokey Joe chassis and footplate and was very much an approximation. The body and wheelbase were about a scale foot too long the wheels were oversized and it had all of the characteristics of the original chassis. In an attempt to control its jack-rabbit tendencies I re-wheeled it and fitted a Romford gearset. It did tame it but it sounded more like a coffee grinder than a chocolate box. I decided at the time that I woud re-visit it and do something more like a "proper" job.
Well I have, but I made a slight change! At the time that Cadbury went over to diesels, Number 1 went to the Dowty Railway Society and her stablemates to Cashmores yard in Tipton, one steam loco remained at Bournville. It was number 9, not an Avonside like the others but a more or less "off the shelf" design from Hunslet. At the time it was only six years old and Cadbury retained it as backup until the Diesels had proved themselves. Unfortunately once they had, No9 was scrapped. A pity as it still had plenty of life in it. As it was "off the shelf" design I reasoned that there might well be others of the same design which could masquerade as No9 so here it is
The chassis is brass, the wheelbase is correct and it's driven by a Hornby 0-6-0 motor mounted vertically above the rear wheels. As you can see it's pulling a shunter's truck, and therein lies the story of my struggles with the design. The very short wheelbase, means that despite the side tanks being filled with "Fluid Lead" when moving off it tries to pull wheelies. Not big ones, you can't see the wheels leave the rails but the pressure on the front wheels reduces enough to restrict the current flow, so the wheels drop back and it has another go. The shunter's truck provides a continuous power supply to stop this happening. If I find a better solution I'll let you know.
Apart from the smokebox and chimney the rest of the body is made from plasticard, with printed paper overlays for the lining and lettering. The smokebox came from one of the Hornby 0-4-0 variants and its saddle was cut away to lower the centre line of the boiler. I cut through the chimney and extended it with a bit of plastic tube plus some filler a lot of filing. I wrapped a piece of 10thou plastic around a tin can, filled the can with boiling water, then stood the can in a bowl with the rest of the kettle full of water. Once it had cooled I dried it off a cut out the section I needed for the top of the boiler. The dome is another piece of plastic tube with a top made from two discs of 40 thou plastic sanded to give the flat top with curved edges look. To form the flared base of the dome I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the same can as I used for the hot water trick and slid the dome from side to side to get the curve, stuck it in place and formed the flare with filler and yet more filing. I chickened out of the valvegear and fitted motion covers, they would probably have been fitted if it went inside warehouses and the like. The connecting rods have a wire loop on the end which slides along a single slidebar fitted in a hole I drilled in the cylinder block. The black lumps either side of the smoke box are sand hoppers, I've yet to make some delivery pipes, and the operating rod which is prominent above the boiler barel.
Here it is, standing in the loop, waiting a call to action as the station pilot, the driver in conversation with a volunteer.
"It's all multi-tasking round here - I'm rostered as shunter, they hands me this hammer and says can you do the wheel-tapping as well!"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Why a heritage line? Lack of self discipline, if I take a liking too a particular loco or other vehicle it isn't going to look out of place. Also every siding filled with stock and hardly room to move, is being true to type.

I think you started this post right. "Why a heritage line?", it is a heritage line!!! Just an excuse for mass engines and rolling stock!!! Looks great, especially love the battered up engines and viaduct.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Yep if ever a heritage line was just a case of big boys toys this one is. :D
Check my signature line :wink:

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 am

I love the homebuilds on this railway! They really are a breath of fresh air.
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Like that looks good, little 0-4-0 tanks have character.. just shame about the hornby chassis that doesn't run well..

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Having now produced a few 0-4-0 chassis of my own I'm b***** amazed that the Hornby chassis runs at all. It's all about compromises as I found out with the latest Cadbury tank. With the correct sized wheels, correctly spaced at 24mm apart and the motor mounted vertically with the worm to the front of the rear axle, it pulls wheelies. Even with the smokebox and side tanks stuffed with "Fluid Lead" it tries to pull them, with the effect of reducing the downward force on the front wheels, hence it's now pulling a permanently attached shunter's truck with 4 wheel pickup. My previous four wheelers had all used the same wheel spacing as the Hornby one as I didn't want to start making my own coupling rods. Having now made some I will still search the spares list for a rod of the right length (or almost right). It's the challenge of solving all these little problems that results in my feeling of achievement when I end up with a working model that captures the character if not all the detail of a specific prototype. My next project is to sort out the population. I've bought odd figures from time to time and I have some ideas of small groups I want to create but finding the right bodies in the first place is taking time. "Anyone seen an overweight bloke in a boiler suit and flat cap that would pass for a 4mm Fred Dibnah?"
John W
aka Bufferstop

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:35 pm

I already have a Fred, and his landy! ;)
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Any chance of a piccy and some details. :) Please :)

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:14 am

they be on my Goatbridge thread squire! The landy was one I customised myself, scratch building the ladder frame and cab. All it needs is for me to get round to signwriting it. As to the chap himself, he was a slightly portly chap out of a mixed box of Hornby figures. I just modified his head to make his cap look more like Fred's flat 'at. I think I've a duplicate of the figure in one of my boxes; when I find him he's yours if he's close enough to what you want.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 am

I have the landy to modify, also a nearside view of it for the signwriting. Still need to see how he fitted it in on the offside. It altered a bit when his sons came on board. As landrovers are remarkably flat sided I'm planning to have a go at a one piece overlay, ypur welcome to a copy if it ever works out. If you find the duplicate figure give me a shout.
Cheers
John W
aka Bufferstop.

Bufferstop

Re: Heritage Line Layout New year cameo

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Putting the station building on the bridge created this little area hidden by the parapet on top of the retaining wall. Looking towards the station from somewhere on the layout, the parapet is the visual cut off point. Walking towards the layout however you are greeted by the blank unmodelled wall of the station and a wedge shaped bit of ground. As there was a door on the end of the station building I decided to make it the side entrance with a little canopy and to layout the ground as a private lay-by. It provides a display area for the few road vehicles that I have, this is how it has developed over the last few days.
I might get the film crew set of figures and finish it off as a "location shoot" cameo.
John W
aka Bufferstop

steaurtce1

Postby steaurtce1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Being a new member I have just looked at the picture of the cat, we had a black and white cat called cheeky and everytime the train was out it would sit and watch the trains go by and then after about 20 mins it would get up stand in the path of the on comming train normally when it was travelling round a bend it would then swipe it derail it and run of to various shouts of the cats done it again (the polite version) :cry: :cry: :cry: dad liked the cat but hated the way it wanted to play to.

I must admit though I have seen that look from the cat as well and you know when not to move it. :!: :!: : :P :P :P

Cheers

steaurt

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Steuart she normally treats the layout with complete and utter disdain. On that occasion her protests about what was going on, her favourite perch in the study was getting vacuumed. That being not to her liking and no one taking any notice of her protests she piked off downstairs and looked for somewhere that she could make her point known. It's the same principal as when she goes and sits in the tangle of leads round the back of the computer, "You know what will happen if you try to move me - so there!"

hornbyandbf3fan

Postby hornbyandbf3fan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 am

The main problem with my cat is all the hair that comes off him and gets in the locos, as well as him sitting on the baseboads. I once found he had sneaked into the garage and lay across both tracks! It's a good job I haven't got scenery yet :D
15 and a railway fan, something very rare now
My youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/hornbyandbf3fan?feature=mhee

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”