A couple of weeks ago I got PM'd by a young whippersnapper who spends his Saturdays in Shrewsbury. Yes Kenny this is the update you wanted. Scenerywise I've done about nowt, apart from squirrel away some ideas to try out later. I've been concentrating on things that move and making them either move better or get moving as they should have done years ago. When I was doing up the 0-4-0 Dock Shunter BernardTPM posted this link http://www.maciulaitis.com/nzrolling/ind_diesel/bagnall3144.jpg
showing that it was based on a real range of diesels made by Bagnalls. Now the link shows a 3'6" gauge 0-6-0, but I would guess that Bagnall did a range of gauges and wheel arrangements as they did with their steam locos. Now at the end of that job I had a rather tatty body, and a bogie frame left over. Shuffling things around in the draw one day the body ended up next to a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis which was left over from something else. I looked at it and
this is what followed
Now I could tell you how I stripped the chassis down and measured the body before carefully shortening the chassis, but I tell it as it was. I held the body over the chassis, scribed a couple of marks on the top edges, then attacked it with a razor saw. Below you can see what I ended up with. I glued two blocks made up from layers of plasticard which would fit into the channel of the chassis and also provide anchoring points for the couplers. I've picked them out in white so that you can see them.
I also cut off the rear extension of the footplate and fitted the buffer beam below the back of the cab' just to be different. It runs ok, I swapped it gears for a bored out Thomas worm and a spare gear from the old motor bogie. They mesh ok and give lower speeds than the originals, but even with a load of weight added it's no match for the original when it comes to pulling power.And Now for Something Completely DifferentM' Lords, Ladies, Gentlemen, Fellow Anoraks and Gricers let me introduce Nell!
For those who remember when the sixties were swinging you may recall that Tri-ang introduced an 0-4-0 in 1962. Nellie and for the next five or so years Nellie and her sisters appeared in a range of liveries. Now Nell is the diminutive of Nellie, and she is minute. Here she is lined up between GWR 101 and a L&Y Pug.
The chassis is plasticard with brass axlebushes, the wheels were some Romford 12mm ones that I've had for donkeys years, the coupling rods and chimney came from a 14xx and the cab and footplate steps came from the 0-4-0 that gave its chassis to the diesel. The body was made from plasticard wrapped around a section of 10mm copper pipe and the side tanks are filled with fluid lead. I used a Thomas motor and worm matched to the other gear from the old motor bogie, but it has turned out a little too fast so she is currently waiting for a Romford 40:1 set, as well as some handrail knobs to finish off the job.
I was a little reluctant to leave her with inside cylinders until I saw a picture of an NER Y7. Purely by chance I seem to have got most of the dimensions similar.And Finally, Coming Soon+=The cheaper alternative!
With all the excitement about railbusses I thought I should rescue the one that is stranded in my display cabinet. I think it was a Dapol rather than Airfix one but it was early enough to be moulded in the finished colour. I have an almost complete unmade kit just in case any parts are damaged in the conversion.
Well that's it for now