Heritage Line Layout-a change of plan

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Heritage Line Layout-a change of plan

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:13 am

Not another change of plan! Yup, that's what happens when you make spur of the moment changes. If you look back a few posts youl'll see the mechanism that I built for operating the points. It worked well enough when tested but once it was connected up problems started to appear, the worst being inconsistent operation of the microswitches. so a re-design was called for. The goals were to keep the operating buttons in the same place, to eliminate as much lost motion as possible and to restrict under-baseboard activity to no more than tightening a couple of connector screws. Now how to do it.
Firstly I needed to minimise lost motion, which I worked out meant all operations to be on the push stroke, the pull stroke being all releasing, with some. That meant the linkage being in one straight line, at right angles to the track and as close to the bottom of the sleeper base as possible. Allowing for the layer of cork that meant sitting on the surface of the ply board. Also putting the microswitches the opposite way around so that their springiness would aid release.
How to connect the push button, to the operating rod around an inch above without going below the board, it was going to have to come over the front edge and down, without being too obvious. why I should be bothered by that I don't know, there's only me and members of the family likely to see it. Well lets look at the piccies
If you look carefully in this one you can see the wire (ex paper clip) coming from the back of the button turning 90 degrees and going into the connector. You can also see the three colour coded wires ready to attach to the switch.
20200722_163013.jpg

Now here's the assembled pair of switches for the three way point. You can make out the piece of hard plastic, to which the switches are attached by 10BA screws nuts and washers. New microswitches, the one I hade are of unknown parentage and they wouldn't be too easy to change.
20200722_162905.jpg

Now here they are fastened in position, glued down the bits of operating wire can be tweaked for adjustment. They are being inspected by a couple of construction types for a sense of scale. You can also see the wires that press on the switsh levers.
20200722_165827.jpg

Finally look back to the first photo in this post ,the obviously repeated pattern adorning the face of the cutaway hill has a story. I asked myself "how would a not too wealthy railway, deal with and abandoned crumbling cliff face?" Well they used sleeper and old timber baulks for the bit on the right, but this is a bit bigger job. "My answer to myself was they'd probably put up a retaining wall made of rock filled steel baskets. Gabions I believe they are called. So I was fiddling about on the computer when Mrs W asked what were the "tessellations" for, that's what the arty types call repeated patterns. Which meant I explained how the wall would be built and how I would model it, Which led tome being challenged to produce one. There's a ready made one from Noch but I could buy one of the real life wire baskets for what the model of three would cost. So it's make your own time, I have a plan. :roll: oh no not another plan :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:24 am

Bufferstop wrote:Not another change of plan! Yup,r own time, I have a plan. :roll: oh no not another plan :roll:

Plans may go awry, but at least there is a plan. :) Whilst there are plans a layout gets stronger and much better. Carry on the good work. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

About time for another update, I'm collecting materials for the rock filled wall, meanwhile I just couldn't ignore the bit along the very front of the board. Well here it is, shock horror three rail track,
Compressed 3 Rails.jpg
Compressed 3 Rails.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Fear not I'm not yet regressing to my childhood Hornby Dublo, the answer is here.
Half a mixed gauge point.
Compressed Half a point.jpg
Compressed Half a point.jpg (174.78 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Nothing clever it's a left hand Peco 009 point. I removed the curved point blade, cut the stock rail and bent it inwards to meet up with the frog. Then I chopped out a section of rail and sleepers and inserted the half point to make up the missing rail. I had to replace the rail joiner which served as a hinge for the blade and it's a bit clunky so I may be reworking it later for now it works.
Wiring was dead simple it's just like a left hand point. I treated the left hand rail as the common return and put in a switch to change the controller from standard to narrow gauge rails, There's little danger of wanting to run two trains at once.
Here's the rest of the new bit looking remarkably full.
Compressed The Yard.jpg
Compressed The Yard.jpg (156.42 KiB) Viewed 173 times

At the front of the narrow gauge track is the sole narrow gauge motive power a Kato 4 wheel chassis, which one day may get a tram engine body.
Compressed Decauville.jpg
Compressed Decauville.jpg (155.04 KiB) Viewed 173 times

as you can see the little Decauville steamer is loaded up and on it's way to Boston Lodge for some attention from Narrow Gauge steam fitters.
Now I can't put it off for any longer I have the 2mm square mesh so I'll have to have a go at bending up 1/76th one metre cubes and fill them with budgie grit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”