Woops! It’s been nearly three months since I said I’d post some more pictures. I blame it on this website,. I sit down at the computer with the intention of doing something, then end up checking the new posts and getting involved.
Perhaps I should go back a bit and put my modelling in context. Since I was about twelve I’ve had a layout of some kind, apart from a few years when I was looking after my young son and my terminally ill wife. Even then I managed a subscription to the Railway Modeller and keep up with what was happening. Then when I remarried as well as gaining a wife, an extra son and daughter I gained a loft.
Part boarded, insulated, wired for power and light and with an excellent foldaway ladder. There were two things wrong with it. It didn’t contain a model railway (just a train-set) and the maximum height at its centre was one inch taller than me. I managed to fix the first problem, but I was stuck with the low roof. Still it served my needs for over ten years.
Then fourteen years ago health problems forced me into early retirement and part time self employment.. I discovered that spending any length of time in the loft was a pain in the neck, so a rethink was called for. We had a spare bedroom used a few times a year by one or other of our fathers. So I constructed a set of lightweight baseboards that sat on top of book shelves and dressing table, with a board for the hidden sidings which bridged the bed.
When I say lightweight I mean light, with the exception of the drop section for a viaduct and the hidden sidings the boards were laminated from inch thick poly foam, to form an upturned box with inch thick top and two inch square walls. The outside was trimmed with very thin ply except for the ends which joined, where it was twelve mil thick.
Time and the inevitable ended the need to use the room as a bedroom and we found just two of us living in a house adapted for a family of five. We took stock and decided we didn’t want to move, so the house and garden got a makeover.
 These photos of the house alterations never fitted well, so when PhotBucket went all greedy I didn't bother moving them.