Heritage Line Layout-a change of plan

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: Heritage Line Layout-a change of plan

Postby glencairn » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:24 am

Bufferstop wrote:Not another change of plan! Yup,r own time, I have a plan. :roll: oh no not another plan :roll:

Plans may go awry, but at least there is a plan. :) Whilst there are plans a layout gets stronger and much better. Carry on the good work. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

About time for another update, I'm collecting materials for the rock filled wall, meanwhile I just couldn't ignore the bit along the very front of the board. Well here it is, shock horror three rail track,
Compressed 3 Rails.jpg
Compressed 3 Rails.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 367 times

Fear not I'm not yet regressing to my childhood Hornby Dublo, the answer is here.
Half a mixed gauge point.
Compressed Half a point.jpg
Compressed Half a point.jpg (174.78 KiB) Viewed 367 times

Nothing clever it's a left hand Peco 009 point. I removed the curved point blade, cut the stock rail and bent it inwards to meet up with the frog. Then I chopped out a section of rail and sleepers and inserted the half point to make up the missing rail. I had to replace the rail joiner which served as a hinge for the blade and it's a bit clunky so I may be reworking it later for now it works.
Wiring was dead simple it's just like a left hand point. I treated the left hand rail as the common return and put in a switch to change the controller from standard to narrow gauge rails, There's little danger of wanting to run two trains at once.
Here's the rest of the new bit looking remarkably full.
Compressed The Yard.jpg
Compressed The Yard.jpg (156.42 KiB) Viewed 367 times

At the front of the narrow gauge track is the sole narrow gauge motive power a Kato 4 wheel chassis, which one day may get a tram engine body.
Compressed Decauville.jpg
Compressed Decauville.jpg (155.04 KiB) Viewed 367 times

as you can see the little Decauville steamer is loaded up and on it's way to Boston Lodge for some attention from Narrow Gauge steam fitters.
Now I can't put it off for any longer I have the 2mm square mesh so I'll have to have a go at bending up 1/76th one metre cubes and fill them with budgie grit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Brilliant!
Nessie rocks!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:16 pm

I have often thought, though I have not tried it, that one can make a dual gauge line like that which also doubles up to allow for 3 rail running. Turnouts and crossings may need some tought, but I believe it can be done.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:44 pm

Possible, you could also operate the standard gauge on the Trix Twin three rail principle. There's a really clever bit of mixed gauge at the Statfold Barn site in Staffordshire. A stretch of three rails are used for an 18" gauge and two foot something tramway, using rails of three different weights, which gives standard gauge spanning the outside two. On end is just a dead end but the other breaks out into three. They are mainly a narrow gauge outfit so it was an 18" works shunter and an old tram from the Ashby line that were chasing each other back and forth all day.

I promise to get back with an update on the layout sometime soon. We've had a bereavement in the family and it's knocked us all to sixes and sevens, it's the sorting out, finding out what bank accounts there were and what to do with all of those possessions which are hard to throw out, that drags you down.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:37 am

Mountain wrote:I have often thought, though I have not tried it, that one can make a dual gauge line like that which also doubles up to allow for 3 rail running. Turnouts and crossings may need some thought, but I believe it can be done.

You don't want to be looking at the lovely things that are possible in mixed gauge such as the 'sway' and 'divergences': all done without need for moving point blades.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 am

Before the side by side arrangement to include standard gauge there was a two foot/two foot six balloon loop totally without point blades, Two-footers went in following the inside and their right hand rails, and emerged following inside and their left, no levers springs or other moving parts.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:04 pm

I realize this. My point is that could a mixed gauge line be made to also run Hornby Dublo engines? (Obviously not at the same time).

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”