St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Re: St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Postby trainsandco » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:15 pm

that 14xx does it have a really bouncy rear? if so they are some much fun to run around corners really quick as it bounces all around!! :p (sorry, and yes, I was that immature to go speeding a train round a circuit as fast as it could :oops: )

Anyway its still coming along nicely

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Ben,
I could look it up, but if I recall you're not that old ..... and I remember when young :- a) oiling the track and putting loads of rolling stock behind a loco to get wheel slip. b) going faster and faster until sooner or later the thing flew off the rails - I have no doubt there were other nasty things I did, but have long forgotten !! Hornby dublo of the 1950's MUST have been tough stuff !!!
This layout is as simple a track as possible to get some ? interesting running ? but again the real work will begin as the landscape evolves. I must get the track working before I can indulge myself and that involves the two painfully slow items of rusty track painting and ballasting.
Oh and the 0-4-2's have those sprung rear drivers, I've only run mine at around 15 scale mph and not noticed any bounce ...... must try when nobodys looking !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:51 pm

All the track laid and wired up. seems to run fine, here's a small video from the scenic (one day ?) front.

MVI_2518

My 06 was used as I've not fitted decoders to most of my GWR locos and it's a good 'test' machine as it's sensitive to dirty or uneven track with doubtful low speed qualities on turnouts.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Alas, Photobucket videos crash Firefox on Linux.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 pm

but not on Mac OSX in Firefox or Safari....

Nice running Geoff!
Well done...the simple things are the hardest to get right.
I look forward so some steam sounds soon
Regards
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Sorry about that Brianetta,
I also have trouble with photobucket video - they keep on stalling while it buffers the information in. Now I'd have thought it was my computer, only when I go to similar videos on Youtube I have no problems. May open another 'free' account somewhere.
So last evening I put some Buff ballast down on the fiddleyard section, yes I couldn't wait until the track was painted, wanted to see it NOW !! I'm not too happy with the result, but scattered some fine sand of a similar coulour over it and have residue on the sleepers which I don't like. Scraping with a small electrical screwdriver and then rubbing with a wet finger seems to help move most of it, but I don't fancy doing that for the whole layout.

I've also placed the first skirt along the side which will I hope give me the rolling countryside. A road bridge has to go over from almost the highest point.

Probably have to miss a couple of days as grandchildren are still on Easter holidays.

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Choo choo!
please keep this coming.
I want so much to see what you do with the moles.
and where does it go?
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:08 pm

More track testing.
The front joint will need an additional locating dowel, but a clamp worked fine for today. Todays running proved that a Heljan 33 will pass over first radius curves, on the limit perhaps and no problems with a ViTrains 37. O.K not exactly what the layouts designed for, but believe it or not the 'box shifters' have no cheap Hornby or Bachmann decoders so all my GWR stuff has to just watch !!

Here's the off scene passing loop in use. Well will be a short video to follow when I can get Photobucket to upload.

MVI_2538

Geoff T.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm

wow, lovely slow running from the 37, just need a sound clip and a small smoke generator, so just as it gets under the camera accelerate fiercely and smoke out the camera....ooooo :)

in the photo, whats that in the middle of the layout? is that a 108 or something?

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Ben,

That's a Hornby 101 centre coach - I used the drive & dummy as a pair because that's all the loop will accept without fouling the passing line. You should have seen the mess I had behind the screen much of the time, a 14XX, Autocoach, 12 wagons, 33 and the 101. All because I can't get bargain decoders - Still I can wait for Hattons because it'll be ages before this has to have GWR locos.

Geoff T.

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Geoff, if you havent already, why dont you create a "youtube account?" doddle to load vids and they seem to run better from youtube.. Mind you there will be others who will say different I vouch.

That one there you have just put up runs fine on my connection however.. layout is coming on in leaps now. Big thumbs up
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Slackers,

I did open one - but that was just before my computer had to be replaced and I lost all the details I'd set in !! I will try Youtube again and hope it won't refuse because it recognises the email address.

Well a sunny day and I'm busy, stopped for a while as it's almost lunch time. I'm currently bridge building, it was only after cutting the road bridge I realised that the stream bed will be at least 25 mm high at this point, as a result left the railway culvert attached across the base. I've also glued and pinned the front skirt leaving a central gap to give access to the latch and where I hope to have opening level crossing gate mechanics.

I'm also hoping to attach 'T' pillars on top of which will rest the roads supporting bed.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Only a little more done, but I want to try and attach a Youtube video, just to confirm the thing is working !

Here is another slow running test, or would be if I knew how to carry the required link onto this website.

It was interesting that using the cheap (nasty) controller that Hornby supply with their cheapest sets this Loco was running roughly and quite noisy. I tried my new Bachmann 56XX which was also a little rough so decided to try running both these on the Select analogue setting of '00' They were transformed with excellent slow running, so I can expect even better results when I put decoders in.
Notice the road supports where the hill climbing out from the valley will be 1 in 4, steep, but has to be when having such a rise and fall of landscape in such a small area.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dad1ipms

Geoff T.

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Vid runs perfect Geoff as does the rolling stock.. Good show.

The gaffer has the right idea mind you,, a sit in the sun with a cuppa... :D
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Slackers,

Yes, it look's like I'm under supervision .....

Still not got the link to Youtube correct and I'll have to do more on the site to find out just how it works, but at least I now have an option. I've found with my system video's on Photobucket stall while information buffers in, run for a while, stall again, run for a while - most anoying. It seems to operate better through Youtube.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”